Sign in to follow this  
TheLegendOfTexEvans

Sammut wins the day (again) Malta champs

Great to see them get the win after Niue got the better of them earlier; it's been an entertaining competition this time around and hope it goes from strength to strength.

43 minutes ago, westlondonfan said:

Amazing guy. I remember his first try at magic weekend for Celtic Crusaders I think it was. When he is on form he has been amazing for us.

We were CrusadersRL back then, and that try helped us to beat Bulls easily on the day. Jaz is a real nice guy, signed photo of him with my lads still has pride of place ☺️

3 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Full time pros shouldn’t be playing in an ENWC.

Arguably not, I don't think he is the only one in the tournament.

Jansin Turgut played for Turkey.

Gehamat Shibasaki for Japan.

1 minute ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Arguably not, I don't think he is the only one in the tournament.

Jansin Turgut played for Turkey.

Gehamat Shibasaki for Japan.

Not exactly in the spirit of the tournament IMO.

I have mixed feelings about this.  It's a bit unfair on their opponents, but more so on whichever Malta player (who helped get them to the GF in the first place) got axed to make way for Sammut.

5 minutes ago, langpark said:

I have mixed feelings about this.  It's a bit unfair on their opponents, but more so on whichever Malta player (who helped get them to the GF in the first place) got axed to make way for Sammut.

Fair point. My biggest problem with this is that Sammut was probably never going to be available for anything other than the final. It doesn't look good being able to draft in a full time pro just for the final.

The whole tournament has been fantastic, but the use of full time pros and heritage players is something that should be looked at for future tournaments of this type. 

1 hour ago, thirteenthman said:

Fair point. My biggest problem with this is that Sammut was probably never going to be available for anything other than the final. It doesn't look good being able to draft in a full time pro just for the final.

The whole tournament has been fantastic, but the use of full time pros and heritage players is something that should be looked at for future tournaments of this type. 

Squads were based on a points system - one of the Lolo brothers is a full time pro for Niue.

Sammut was named in the original squad for Malta which did not go over their respective point allocation. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, welshmagpie said:

Squads were based on a points system - one of the Lolo brothers is a full time pro for Niue.

Sammut was named in the original squad for Malta which did not go over their respective point allocation. 

I stand to be corrected.  But i am pretty sure they never went ahead with that points system that was orginally proposed.  How do you explain Niue and Malta having zero domestic players otherwise?

Niue and Malta are important places and commercial markets for rugby league to be played, more so Niue.

19 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Full time pros shouldn’t be playing in an ENWC.

He regularly plays for Malta, it's not as if this is his only appearance

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, brooza said:

He regularly plays for Malta, it's not as if this is his only appearance

The player/s who got them to the final didn't seem to be doing too badly. Maybe Malta were so desperate to win the final they  brought in a full time pro for his one and only appearance in the tournament. Congratulations Malta.

Edited by deluded pom?