Sign in to follow this  
Bearman

"They shall not grow old" Peter Jackson film

I went to the screening of They shall not grow old tonight.

Peter Jackson was commissioned to produce a movie using original footage from the first world war.  There was a Q&A session  immediately following the showing where he explained how they had cleaned up the black and white, changed the speed to more lifelike and then added colour.  They employed lip readers to " read" what the Tommies were saying and then dubbed actors native to the regions that the regiments came from to add authentic regional accents.

It was a powerful film, but for me it fell short . The technology was clever but the hype over listening to what was said did not quite reach what I was expecting.

I look forward to it being widely shown on tv.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Maximus Decimus said:

I was very interested in this, do they have plans to show it on TV? 

Yes. On BBC One in November.

• Like 2

Not wanting to be a pedant about this but:

It should be "They Shall Grow Not Old"

36 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Not wanting to be a pedant about this but:

It should be "They Shall Grow Not Old"

As we that are left grow old.

What sums the whole thing up for me though, is the line. 'For our tomorrow, they gave their today' (slightly paraphrased)

20 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

As we that are left grow old.

What sums the whole thing up for me though, is the line. 'For our tomorrow, they gave their today' (slightly paraphrased)

Different Poem, different war. Same sentiment.

I've been known to get dust in my eye when those lines are read out. 

I have seen some clips and it looks awesome. It moves something that in black and white and seeming century's ago into something that is in everyone's life time.

As for the poetic semantics, who really cares, the sentiment is the same. 

In the Q&A section after the film Jackson said he hoped that now they had developed the technology to enhance the films, other film stock around the world would be given the same trestment.

I’ll watch this . It’s a strange perception I have ,and I guess that many people have , that I devour things about WW2 and research it but sort of neglect WW1 as it seems such a ( excuse gross simplification ) totally sad , pointless  , war of meaningless slaughter . Whereas WW2 has grabbed the broadcasters , the attention , and has a different perspective about it somehow . Not a ‘ good ‘ war but something more worthy and noble . Not saying that’s right but it seems ingrained like that in many people’s consciousness 

Edited by DavidM

One thing I like (about many) with Peaky Blinders is that it's so authentically shot, it looks like people from the 1920's but like real people. Whereas when I used to see old B&W footage from those times, it seemed like a Charlie Chaplin film with everyone walking fast and somehow not real life. (IYSWIM)

One thing, there's some proper gruesome footage from WW1 of corpses that have been eaten by rats etc...do you think they will be restoring these types of clips? 

29 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

One thing I like (about many) with Peaky Blinders is that it's so authentically shot, it looks like people from the 1920's but like real people. Whereas when I used to see old B&W footage from those times, it seemed like a Charlie Chaplin film with everyone walking fast and somehow not real life. (IYSWIM)

One thing, there's some proper gruesome footage from WW1 of corpses that have been eaten by rats etc...do you think they will be restoring these types of clips? 

I don’t think so, neither will they show the higher ups sitting in their comfy offices planning the next ‘strategic move’’, whilst thousands of working class lads are living and figting in pure squaller. 

One interview with Harry Patch was all you need to know . Every time he spoke it was just mesmerising . Totally vivid yet haunted decades later 

2 hours ago, Mark S said:

I don’t think so, neither will they show the higher ups sitting in their comfy offices planning the next ‘strategic move’’, whilst thousands of working class lads are living and figting in pure squaller. 

Are you looking forward to the big push Blackadder?

25 minutes ago, westlondonfan said:

Are you looking forward to the big push Blackadder?

Field Marshall Haig making another gargantuan effort to move his drinks cabinet six inches closer to Berlin ... it’s amazing  how that became so ingrained they talk in education about the ‘Blackadder’ theory of the war !

I am really looking forward to this film.  My great grandfather was at the Battle of Jutland so I hope there is something about the naval war as well .

One interesting fact about the First World War is that Clement Attlee saw action at Gallipoli and in Mesopotamia. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/16/2018 at 10:11 PM, Bearman said:

I went to the screening of They shall not grow old tonight.

Peter Jackson was commissioned to produce a movie using original footage from the first world war.  There was a Q&A session  immediately following the showing where he explained how they had cleaned up the black and white, changed the speed to more lifelike and then added colour.  They employed lip readers to " read" what the Tommies were saying and then dubbed actors native to the regions that the regiments came from to add authentic regional accents.

It was a powerful film, but for me it fell short . The technology was clever but the hype over listening to what was said did not quite reach what I was expecting.

I look forward to it being widely shown on tv.

where did you watch it Bearman in Cov?

The sad thing is, the new snow flake generation won't have a clue what what we are talking about. Even worse, they won't care.

30 minutes ago, slowdive said:

where did you watch it Bearman in Cov?

It was shown in 250 cinemas around the country on Tuesday night at 6pm. It was simultaneously shown as the Premier at the BFI. 

I saw it at the Coventry Odeon

42 minutes ago, TMF said:

The sad thing is, the new snow flake generation won't have a clue what what we are talking about. Even worse, they won't care.

You fought at the front?  Or are familiar with the boer wars?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TMF said:

This would be the snowflake generation that died in Iraq and Afghanistan and the balkans would it?

the snowflake generation that carries out peace keeping duties in Sierra Leone Cyprus and Syria would it?

the snowflake generation that has seen more of its members killed and injured in combat than any other since 1945? 

Is that the snowflake generation you were talking about?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

These are the brave exceptions that prove the rule. My friends son was killed in Afghanistan. Just look at today's newspapers to see the way it's going. Kleenex can't call tissues 'Mansize' anymore because some snowflake/transgender objected. I will wear my poppy with pride. The young don't even know what we are talking about. Last year I was asked by one 'What is that badge you are wearing?' How I never clocked him, i'll never know. By the way, my Grandson wants to join the RAF. He will get all the encouragement he needs from me.