Sign in to follow this  
liaemars1

swinton v salford

Hello,

Looking forward to this one . A great traditional derby . Would love to see this fixture a regular in the super league calendar.

I  think Salford would benefit so much having Swinton in same league competing against them . I'm not saying its as bigger a derby as Wigan / Saints but when you look how those two team drive each other on in the battle to be beat or better there rivals , just like the two Hull clubs.

Hope plenty turn out for this great fixture full of history and tradition between these two great clubs.   

• Like 1

Station Road was my favourite away ground.

And there was the bonus of a bloke stood outside for Sunday games wearing(?) / carrying a sandwich board saying that the end of the world was nigh and we should all turn to God for salvation.

10 minutes ago, Wolford6 said:

And there was the bonus of a bloke stood outside for Sunday games wearing(?) / carrying a sandwich board saying that the end of the world was nigh and we should all turn to God for salvation.

The chap used to do the Willows on alternate weeks,always had a good rapport with the fans.

1 hour ago, liaemars1 said:

Hello,

Looking forward to this one . A great traditional derby . Would love to see this fixture a regular in the super league calendar.

I  think Salford would benefit so much having Swinton in same league competing against them . I'm not saying its as bigger a derby as Wigan / Saints but when you look how those two team drive each other on in the battle to be beat or better there rivals , just like the two Hull clubs.

Hope plenty turn out for this great fixture full of history and tradition between these two great clubs.   

Fantastic. When's this crunch game taking place? 1965?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

He probably meant RL lol 

Would be great to have a Swinton-Salford derby match I agree as a league fixture.

Went to Heywood Rd on Sunday and really enjoyed it - will definitely go again next year.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref

14 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Would be great to have a Swinton-Salford derby match I agree as a league fixture.

Went to Heywood Rd on Sunday and really enjoyed it - will definitely go again next year.

When is the new stadium at Agecroft due to be completed? 

2 hours ago, Wolford6 said:

Younger fans probably don't know that Station Road was the venue of some of the biggest rugby league games of all in the UK, as it often hosted play off finals, challenge cup semis and Ashes tests. My Dad says there was around 45,000 in there in 1951 for Wire v Wigan.

My own experience is slightly different - I went to Station Road about 25 or so years ago and we got absolutely drenched in the away end. At one point the floodlights failed and the players trudged off.  Five minutes later the tannoy announcer asked "Is there an electrician in the ground?" and we all had a bit of a chuckle. About 20 minutes and a further soaking later, the tannoy announcer came back on and asked wearily "Is there a qualified electrician in the ground?"

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Went to Station Road several times, albeit long after the ground's heyday. The Swinton 'home' game I remember most vividly was an evening fixture against Sheffield Eagles, played on a carpet of snow covering the heated pitch at Burnden Park, Bolton. 1985-ish? I recall trudging through thick, lying snow en route from Bolton railway station, wondering: 'Is this match really going to be on?' Turned out to be quite an evening. Eagles won, IIRC.

EDIT: just checked my records: Swinton won 14-8 on January 23rd, 1985 in front of 1,438.

Edited by Hopping Mad

1 hour ago, Hopping Mad said:

Went to Station Road several times, albeit long after the ground's heyday. The Swinton 'home' game I remember most vividly was an evening fixture against Sheffield Eagles, played on a carpet of snow covering the heated pitch at Burnden Park, Bolton. 1985-ish? I recall trudging through thick, lying snow en route from Bolton railway station, wondering: 'Is this match really going to be on?' Turned out to be quite an evening. Eagles won, IIRC.

EDIT: just checked my records: Swinton won 14-8 on January 23rd, 1985 in front of 1,438.

Well we were 2  of those 1 438!

Played a Lancashire Cup u 16s final at Station Road on the night of the CC Final replay of Hull v Widnes in 83 (?).

Was a great away trip. Swinton sides played some lovely football in the early 80s.

• Like 1

Played on Station Road!

Would be great to see both Swinton and Salford back in their respective communities and doing better than they are now but Championship is their level. As far as SL is concerned they’re both a busted flush and it needs a new approach and deeper pockets than either are able to muster.

2 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

Younger fans probably don't know that Station Road was the venue of some of the biggest rugby league games of all in the UK, as it often hosted play off finals, challenge cup semis and Ashes tests. My Dad says there was around 45,000 in there in 1951 for Wire v Wigan.

My own experience is slightly different - I went to Station Road about 25 or so years ago and we got absolutely drenched in the away end. At one point the floodlights failed and the players trudged off.  Five minutes later the tannoy announcer asked "Is there an electrician in the ground?" and we all had a bit of a chuckle. About 20 minutes and a further soaking later, the tannoy announcer came back on and asked wearily "Is there a qualified electrician in the ground?"

Yes it was a brilliant ground. Large  numbers.  But they took down the coverings I think. Certainly I saw a game there in the rain and have never been wetter in my life. I think Leeds beat Wigan there in a cup semi and Saints beat us in a championship final. So I had better forget the place for now.

Sadly like most grounds no investment kept them going.

1 hour ago, dixiedean said:

Well we were 2  of those 1 438!

Another 10,000 also remember being there also. 😄 😉

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Manx RL said:

When is the new stadium at Agecroft due to be completed?  

Surely, you mean when is it going to be started? Andy Mazey and Steve Wild were meeting the mayor of Manchester - Andy Burnham on Monday. Don't hold your breath!

23 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Swinton are the past, Super League is the future.  

Super League will kill off the rest of the game eventually, and then its self, because they will have nowhere to get players from, unless the RFL start  addressing the problems at the bottom end of the game. I would rather have my memories of Swinton and Station road than you're vision of the future of RL any day. I will wait for you're usually smart, sarcastic reply now Oliver. I loved Station road, even though I was a Salford fan when that ground was Swinton's home. I watched over 100 games there easily, and I remember that game against Sheffield at Burnden park too - 1984-85. I wrote the amateur page in the Swinton programme for 10 years and these days I tend to watch Swinton more than any other team due to my circumstances. I have many friends at Swinton and I hope they achieve their aim of getting back to M27. Incidentally, the last 13 a side game played at Station road was not Swinton .v. Salford, as most people believe - it was Folly Lane .v. Irlam Hornets in the Manchester League Valentine cup final.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Celtic Rooster said:

Super League will kill off the rest of the game eventually, and then its self, because they will have nowhere to get players from, unless the RFL start  addressing the problems at the bottom end of the game. I would rather have my memories of Swinton and Station road than you're vision of the future of RL any day. I will wait for you're usually smart, sarcastic reply now Oliver. I loved Station road, even though I was a Salford fan when that ground was Swinton's home. I watched over 100 games there easily, and I remember that game against Sheffield at Burnden park too - 1984-85. I wrote the amateur page in the Swinton programme for 10 years and these days I tend to watch Swinton more than any other team due to my circumstances. I have many friends at Swinton and I hope they achieve their aim of getting back to M27. Incidentally, the last 13 a side game played at Station road was not Swinton .v. Salford, as most people believe - it was Folly Lane .v. Irlam Hornets in the Manchester League Valentine cup final.

Nothing beats positivity!

• Like 1

Am I missing something? Neither team is in the same league.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Celtic Rooster said:

I didn't quite understand the original post either AB but they usually play each other pre season?

I think what the original post is getting at is that it would be good to see league games between both teams.

• Like 1