Sign in to follow this  
stevevalerugby

WALES Squad for European Championship.

Recommended Posts

👥 SQUAD | Introducing your #WalesRL 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 squad for the European Championship and @RLWC2021 qualifiers...

 

John Kear has named 25 players for the upcoming matches with @FFRXIII, @scotlandrl and @Irelandrl!

 

Full details 👉 https://t.co/x0jJewo1CF

 

#rugbyleague

 

🐉🐲 https://t.co/yxw13MDNQt

Edited by stevevalerugby
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stevevalerugby said:

Halifax RLFC are pleased to announce that Sion Jones along with twins Connor and Curtis Davies have signed first team contracts with the club having successfully come through our reserve grade set up. 

The young trio, who all hail from South Wales, have spent pre-season training with Richard Marshall’s first team squad and the Fax coach is happy to have secured their services for 2018. 

Speaking earlier today, Marshall said: “We’ve promoted them up off the back of their efforts and their performances in the reserve grade last year. All three are over at Leeds Beckett University, where they also play Student Rugby League and have represented Wales at that level so we acted quickly on these lads. They came through the system at South Wales Scorpions and we were alerted to their potential via our link with the club. They have impressed us during pre-season and we wanted to tie them up to contracts.”

And the head coach is looking forward to helping the youngsters evolve their games. 
“There’s still a little bit of work to do of all three of them,” said Marshall. “Sion is a front rower. He looks the part and we’re looking forward to seeing him develop. Curtis and Connor are two twins – Curtis is a hooker and Connor is a middle or loose forward. 
We think they’ll offer us some competition for places and hope they’ll forge their way into the first team this year”.

“They are still young but they’re starting to look like rugby players now. Their bodies are thickening up in the right areas, skill-wise they’re improving, and they’re learning our systems, our calls, and the way we like to play the game. They’re nice lads, they’re fully engaged, they’re really keen to learn and when you’ve got that attitude, you give yourself a chance. We’ve given them an opportunity and it’s down to them now to take it. They’ve probably not been in a rugby league environment as long as they would have liked and that’s why they’re maybe slightly behind with their development. But that’s why we’re here and that’s what we try and do, we try and develop the players."

And Fax Fans could get their first glimpses of the trio in action during the upcoming friendlies. 

“They’ll be playing in the pre-season games. We’ve got a few players returning from injuries but also, these lads deserve a chance. We need to have a look at them to see if they are the real deal and I’m looking forward to seeing them perform well. Certainly, all three will feature on boxing day and we look forward to seeing how they fare over the next few weeks."

And the Fax boss also confirmed the three won't be the last reserves to make the step up. "There'll be more to come in terms of reserves stepping up to the first team. These will be announced in due course. 
We believe in promoting from within and developing our own players and we will continue to work hard to achieve this."

 

The last paragraph is the reason why long term Halifax will do well - any club that does not generate its own players and promote from within will fail at some point

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shows the importance of Reserve Grade for the game as the 5 Fax lads would likely not be involved at Pro Level if Fax had not had a reserve team.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, langpark said:

No Regan Grace??

Nor Ben Flower, Morgan Knowles, Rhys Evans.

Shop window for Lloyd White, Gil Dudson and Courtney Davies. Lloyd will probably have to revert to halfback during games.

Davies is a talent who I think is comfortably Championship standard.

Dalton Grant (Bradford Bulls), Rhys Gant, James Mason, Liam Rice-Wilson, Chris Vitalini (all Coventry Bears), Josh Ralph (Easts Tigers), Chester Butler, Connor Davies, Curtis Davies, Dan Fleming, Sion Jones (all Halifax), Ben Evans, Elliot Kear, Rhys Williams (all London Broncos), Elliot Jenkins (Rochdale Hornets), Gavin Bennion (Salford Red Devils), Ben Morris (St Helens), Rhodri Lloyd (Swinton Lions), Jake Emmitt (Toronto Wolfpack), Courtney Davies (unattached), James Olds (West Brisbane Panthers), Morgan Evans, Steve Parry (both West Wales Raiders), Gil Dudson, Lloyd White (both Widnes Vikings).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately I can see Scotland securing a World Cup spot from this tournament ahead of this team.. Though all of Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Italy and France should comfortably walk in to the world cup after all is said and done (6 spots up for grabs). Not much difference between qualifying this year or in 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Brilliant to see four Bears players in the squad 👏

I had relatives in Coventry ... lost touch with them years ago. A lot of Welsh people, like my Nan's brothers, moved there in the 1920's depression.

My Nan had an afternoon party for her 90th Birthday and her brother Tom came down to it. He was even older than she was and was driven down by his son ... Young Tom, aged about 70. At about  7pm Young Tom said they would be leaving because his Dad wanted to go back to Coventry. My Mam asked if his Dad was feeling okay and Young Tom said that his Dad was fine but he went to his local WMC every Saturday night and didn't want to miss out.

It's nice to see that Coventry Welsh RUFC is still going.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2018 at 1:06 PM, Wolford6 said:

Nor Ben Flower, Morgan Knowles, Rhys Evans.

Shop window for Lloyd White, Gil Dudson and Courtney Davies. Lloyd will probably have to revert to halfback during games.

Davies is a talent who I think is comfortably Championship standard.

Dalton Grant (Bradford Bulls), Rhys Gant, James Mason, Liam Rice-Wilson, Chris Vitalini (all Coventry Bears), Josh Ralph (Easts Tigers), Chester Butler, Connor Davies, Curtis Davies, Dan Fleming, Sion Jones (all Halifax), Ben Evans, Elliot Kear, Rhys Williams (all London Broncos), Elliot Jenkins (Rochdale Hornets), Gavin Bennion (Salford Red Devils), Ben Morris (St Helens), Rhodri Lloyd (Swinton Lions), Jake Emmitt (Toronto Wolfpack), Courtney Davies (unattached), James Olds (West Brisbane Panthers), Morgan Evans, Steve Parry (both West Wales Raiders), Gil Dudson, Lloyd White (both Widnes Vikings).

Disappointing lack of commitment from some, what’s the deal with Olly Olds? I see his brother is in the squad 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2018 at 4:09 PM, jim_57 said:

Unfortunately I can see Scotland securing a World Cup spot from this tournament ahead of this team.. Though all of Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Italy and France should comfortably walk in to the world cup after all is said and done (6 spots up for grabs). Not much difference between qualifying this year or in 2019.

Sadly you are right on that. I hope the RLIF reflect on what the point of having teams at a WC is if there's no progress on grass roots whatsoever... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Disappointing lack of commitment from some, what’s the deal with Olly Olds? I see his brother is in the squad 

Olly got injured part way through the season, which is a shame as he was having a good run of Queensland Cup games for Easts.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Olly got injured part way through the season, which is a shame as he was having a good run of Queensland Cup games for Easts.

 

Thanks, do you know anything about his brother? It’s the first I’d heard of him.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Thanks, do you know anything about his brother? It’s the first I’d heard of him.....

2 years older than Ollie, is a winger. Joined him in Australia and mostly played Union. Last couple of years he’s predominantly played league in this Brisbane Premier Division for Wests Panthers.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

Sadly you are right on that. I hope the RLIF reflect on what the point of having teams at a WC is if there's no progress on grass roots whatsoever... 

Ah but some random English guy with a Scottish relative can possibly play for GB in the future so it's all cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Butty is a common Welsh word for a male "friend" or "pal" . So he's got a proper surname for the squad.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express Yearbook 2018/19 - Order Now


Rugby League World - Nov 2018

Rugby League World - Nov 2018



League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday