Sign in to follow this  
Johnoco

Social Media...and use of for promotions

Does anyone on here have an experience of using social media to promote something they have done. Possibly a RL game in a new area or something? Could be anything really.

Reason I ask is that I'm thinking of doing something (music wise) and imagine it's a good way to promote stuff for pretty much free. I aren't on Facebook but do use Twitter a bit but nothing else. So if anyone has used these platforms to promote anything, i'd be very grateful for any advice or tips etc.

Ta.

8 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Does anyone on here have an experience of using social media to promote something they have done. Possibly a RL game in a new area or something? Could be anything really.

Reason I ask is that I'm thinking of doing something (music wise) and imagine it's a good way to promote stuff for pretty much free. I aren't on Facebook but do use Twitter a bit but nothing else. So if anyone has used these platforms to promote anything, i'd be very grateful for any advice or tips etc.

Ta.

I once did this and it got 14000 hits right away.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Cheers Kayakman. 

You've got to create a buzz...this must be multi-faceted in nature (I've done it successfully often).  Are you working by yourself or with others?

13 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

You've got to create a buzz...this must be multi-faceted in nature (I've done it successfully often).  Are you working by yourself or with others?

Possibly solo but hopefully not. It's only an idea at this stage so I aren't talking RFL style promotion. :D Besides, that looks like an average night out for me.

Edited by Johnoco

4 hours ago, Johnoco said:

Ta.

I've used Facebook to promote Nottingham Outlaws stuff this year, both promoting matches but also having it as part of our recruitment campaign.

Using a page is easier to get followers (as opposed to a group) and if you were going to pay for advertising you'd use it on a page. Using a group is easier to actually reach the members. Facebook's algorithms mean that a lot of people who like your page won't actually see your posts, unless they have decent engagement i.e. likes and comments - so good to start with the people you know and make sure they all engage with it, meaning it'll be seen by more people. 

It's pretty cheap to pay for advertising campaigns. You can tailor them towards people with certain interests, in certain areas and certain demographics. You can set a £ per day amount that you're willing to spend, and even for £2 a day you'll get reasonable results in terms of views - converting those views to responses or action is obviously more difficult. There's also options regarding this, so you can have Facebook tailor campaigns differently depending on whether you're aiming for page likes or responses or whatever.

Let me know if you want to know any more, it was all pretty new to me this year!  

Edited by Saint 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

Possibly solo but hopefully not. It's only an idea at this stage so I aren't talking RFL style promotion. :D Besides, that looks like an average night out for me.

So, more than an A5 flyer stuck to a lamppost then :ninja:

1 hour ago, Johnoco said:

You need a plan...is this rugby league related?

43 minutes ago, ckn said:

So, more than an A5 flyer stuck to a lamppost then :ninja:

Are you in charge of the upcoming Kiwi series by any chance?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

You need a plan...is this rugby league related?

No, music mate.

If your using twitter, post a link to the tweet in here I'm sure many an obliging forum member will give you a retweet.

See a lot of people trying to use twitter to promote something and a lot of the time it looks like there shouting into the void, but there's so many platforms its got to be worth looking at posting far and wide and seeing what works best for you, the only cost is your time unless you pay for promotion.

Speaking of paying, depending on what it is you can also use websites like fiver to get it retweeted, so if you've used hashtags you can get a bit of traction this way.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Johnoco said:

No, music mate.

What is the song about?

3 hours ago, Kayakman said:

What is the song about?

It's not a song or anything, more of an experience that will put Woodstock etc in the shade . I'm going to start the revival of Bradford as the punk rock centre of the universe. And then my other musical faves. Watch this space. 

Love live music , good luck .

Original punks will be getting on a bit .

Dont forget about putting postcards in shop windows highlighting what your doing .

Might just be me but i have bought more than a few items via shop window advertising .

Including tickets to see live music .

Flyers in the independent coffee houses/vintage cloth stores/Record shops /barbers etc 

Edited by henage
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, henage said:

Love live music , good luck .

Original punks will be getting on a bit .

Dont forget about putting postcards in shop windows highlighting what your doing .

Might just be me but i have bought more than a few items via shop window advertising .

Including tickets to see live music .

Flyers in the independent coffee houses/vintage cloth stores/Record shops /barbers etc 

Yes pal, all angles considered for me. 

Although at this stage, it's purely music, not bands. That's next

Edited by Johnoco

35 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

It's not a song or anything, more of an experience that will put Woodstock etc in the shade . I'm going to start the revival of Bradford as the punk rock centre of the universe. And then my other musical faves. Watch this space. 

Well here is what I'm going to do....I'm pretty far away so this is the best I can come up with.

I'm going to do a brain search team focus group exercise on this matter with my U level students...a group think if you will.  This will be a formal lesson, I will design it...as I'm sure you can see from the above video in the thread, my classes are very contemplative.......they are a very bright young bunch.  We will begin  by reading this thread on Monday, together as a class, then by the end of the lesson,  I will come back with four recommendations but I have no idea of what they will be....

Now these younger kids really don't know about punk rock, who can suggest a good video to watch of a song at the start of the discussion....what punk video should I show to start the discussion and assignment?

Don't worry Johnoco, they are a good bunch and we will come back with some good things for you...we will try our best!

Signed,

Kayakman and Crew of Kayakman

P.S.  This is the first 'hook'; you can honestly tell people you are working on the project design with a group of teenagers from rural Canada via internet link.    Understand Johnoco that I do have some resources at my disposal.

Edited by Kayakman

2 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Well here is what I'm going to do....I'm pretty far away so this is the best I can come up with.

I'm going to do a brain search team focu group exercise on this matter with my U level students...a group think if you will.  This will be a formal lesson, I will design it...as I'm sure you can see from the above video in the thread, my c lasses are very contemplative.......they are a very bright young bunch.  We will begin  by reading this thread on Monday, together as a class, then by the end of the lesson,  I will come back with four recommendations but I have no idea of what they will be....

Now these younger kids really don't know about punk rock, who can suggest a good video to watch of a song at the start of the discussion....what punk video should I show to start the discussion and assignment?

Don't worry Johnoco, they are a good bunch and we will come back with some good things for you...we will try our best!

Signed,

Kayakman and Crew of Kayakman

Wow and all I was after was a few pointers... :D  :D 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

Wow and all I was after was a few pointers... :D  :D 

Leave it with me...I'll get back to you Monday night my time.  Off to a wedding for the weekend soon.

I need someone to give me a title of a good video to use.

Are you thinking along the lines of The Clash and Sex Pistols for example? If so, God save the Queen or Should I stay or should I go are fairly staple. 

41 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

Are you thinking along the lines of The Clash and Sex Pistols for example? If so, God save the Queen or Should I stay or should I go are fairly staple. 

Always room for the classics mate but I'm thinking a lot of lesser known stuff that maybe doesn't get heard as much.

• Like 1

Not really a fan of self promotion on social media,not something I would do personally and if anybody has any issues with that you can contact me at my website (for all your bricklaying needs) and remember,big or small,I can fix it all!!! (T's and c's apply,send more money NOW for a full obligation quote)

• Like 1

On 10/19/2018 at 3:36 PM, Johnoco said:

If you are at the idea stage then you are already ahead of the RFL!

• Haha 1

On 10/19/2018 at 12:19 PM, Johnoco said:

Ta.

My lads micro pub is all over facebook.

He's developed his upstairs, built a small stage and is now promoting accoustic acts.

Thus far facebook has been by far the best media for promoting his business. It helps him winning the CAMRA pub of the season like.

The dragon's tap Rovrum.

• Like 1

Just got back from the hoe down country wedding...was a good time but there was only one fist fight....my nephew really gave it to him good.

Doing the focus group tomorrow...should be fun.