Neutral Referees for Internationals

Neutral Referees for Internationals  

84 members have voted

1. 1. Should Referees for Internationals be neutral?

28 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

A specific thread to address Allora’s constant references to England supporters and the neutrality of international referees. I am believe referees should be neutral for all Internationals in order to remove the risk of perceived bias.

They should be neutral.

I am not constantly talking about neutral Refs but it seems if an Aussie Ref is appointed English fans Arc up about it, If England gets an English Ref little is said by anyone. How many whined about an English Ref in Denver, it was barely mentioned.

That is not always possible though.

The Kiwi Ref is not well thought of by many fans, who else is there, are England bringing any French, Irish, Welsh or Scottish Refs through the system?

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

3 minutes ago, Allora said:

They should be neutral.

The Kiwi Ref is not well thought of by many fans, who else is there, are England bringing any French, Irish, Welsh or Scottish Refs through the system?

The English are doing sod all... a real area of frustration. How’s the NRL doing with non-Aussies other than Penanara?

They should be neutral.

England don’t need to bring through any French, Irish refs. Each governing body should nominate referees from their own patch if they can. Then the RLIF appoint the neutral ones to games. 

The RFL & ARL have too much sway in appointments, it shouldn’t be up to them, it should be done independently 

Just now, GeordieSaint said:

The English are doing sod all... a real area of frustration. How’s the NRL doing with non-Aussies other than Penanara?

They have to want to Ref at the top level, nobody has a gun at their head, it comes down to the development  of the game in NZ which the NRL has little control of.

30 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

A specific thread to address Allora’s constant references to England supporters and the neutrality of international referees. I am believe referees should be neutral for all Internationals in order to remove the risk of perceived bias.

I can't recall any posters on this forum not calling for neutral referees despite what the aforementioned poster thinks,Perenara is an NRL standard official,so surely it makes sense to use him.

3 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

I can't recall any posters on this forum not calling for neutral referees despite what the aforementioned poster thinks,Perenara is an NRL standard official,so surely it makes sense to use him.

Partly my point. The vast majority of posters on here want to neutral referees IMO. I’d like to prove this statistically in order to reference in the future.

5 minutes ago, Allora said:

They have to want to Ref at the top level, nobody has a gun at their head, it comes down to the development  of the game in NZ which the NRL has little control of.

We can argue the same over here; little or no influence in Ireland and France...

29 minutes ago, Manx RL said:

I thought all referees were neutral?

Neutral refers to the country of origin not the individual. It doesn't happen in other major sports yet England faced it in a World Cup Final. It also comes across as small time (which RL is an expert at).

2 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Neutral refers to the country of origin not the individual. It doesn't happen in other major sports yet England faced it in a World Cup Final. It also comes across as small time (which RL is an expert at).

Australia were on the wrong end of the penalty count in that Final by the way.

1 minute ago, Allora said:

Australia were on the wrong end of the penalty count in that Final by the way.

I don't give a flying ####. It is pathetic and small time.

I felt exactly the same about Wednesday night in Leigh. It looks horrendous for a so-called major sport. Gives the impression of small time and penny pinching. When RL had no money 30 years ago we insisted on neutral refs, now we have multi-million pound broadcast deals we conveniently ignore it. 

47 minutes ago, Spidey said:

England don’t need to bring through any French, Irish refs. Each governing body should nominate referees from their own patch if they can. Then the RLIF appoint the neutral ones to games. 

The RFL & ARL have too much sway in appointments, it shouldn’t be up to them, it should be done independently 

This 100% we should be appointing refs from associations that aren’t connected to the competing nations. Even if that means appointing part time refs. Although it shouldn’t come to that as we should be funding a couple of full time refs in France NZ and png. That way both sides have to get used to how they are being reffed. Perenara isn’t neutral he’s an NRL ref using NRL inteprtations same as when we had Albert in SL he wasn’t neutral he was a SL ref. Even when Klien reffed over here although an Aussie he was a SL ref using SL interpretations. 

Just now, Scubby said:

I don't give a flying ####. It is pathetic and small time.

I felt exactly the same about Wednesday night in Leigh. It looks horrendous for a so-called major sport. Gives the impression of small time and penny pinching. When RL had no money 30 years ago we insisted on neutral refs, now we have multi-million pound broadcast deals we conveniently ignore it. 

What do you want if there are hardly any neutral Refs?

A Ref should be neutral by nature to suggest he isn't says the game is bent.

Do you remember the argument that when English Refs have an England V Oz game they try to appease the Aussies because they are either intimidated by them or want a job in the NRL.

Do you remember when there was a French Ref? I can not spell his name Julien Rascagneres or similar, it was like watching Rugby League meets Faulty Towers.

Total farce.

Just now, Allora said:

What do you want if there are hardly any neutral Refs?

A Ref should be neutral by nature to suggest he isn't says the game is bent.

Do you remember the argument that when English Refs have an England V Oz game they try to appease the Aussies because they are either intimidated by them or want a job in the NRL.

Do you remember when there was a French Ref? I can not spell his name Julien Rascagneres or similar, it was like watching Rugby League meets Faulty Towers.

Total farce.

There are neutral refs and we are choosing to ignore them. If Parenara is part of a 15-person NRL ref team then that makes him in the top 15 referees in the World. England are playing NZ. 12-15 of the top 20 referees in World are from Australia. Australia played Tonga and Australia played NZ, 5-6 of the top referees in the World are from England. You are talking complete nonsense.

Just now, Scubby said:

There are neutral refs and we are choosing to ignore them. If Parenara is part of a 15-person NRL ref team then that makes him in the top 15 referees in the World. England are playing NZ. 12-15 of the top 20 referees in World are from Australia. Australia played Tonga and Australia played NZ, 5-6 of the top referees in the World are from England. You are talking complete nonsense.

You tell me how it works then?

I do not pick the Ref.

Why did Denver have an English Referee?

In the past in some four Nations games there is a selection panel and often the Kiwi vote was for an Aussie Ref because they wanted NRL style interpretations not the crazy SL version, its been well documented.

You have an opinion on the subject but have no idea of how it works or what is the criteria.

1 minute ago, Allora said:

I do not pick the Ref.

In the past in some four Nations games there is a selection panel and often the Kiwi vote was for an Aussie Ref because they wanted NRL style interpretations not the crazy SL version, its been well documented.

You have an opinion on the subject but have no idea of how it works or what is the criteria.

The RFL are just as bad as the NRL

I’ll repeat it should be up to the RLIF to appoint referees for international matches

I do not pick the Ref.

This is not a ###### NRL or RFL thing. It is the World game bloody penny pinching and elements within it having its own agendas. There could be a rule put in place tomorrow that states "ALL" sanctioned International RL games should have a referee from a non-competing country and it would end there!

Australia should not be allowed the bunker, England should not be allowed Phil Bentham for an England game. Denver was WRONG!! PNG should never be allowed a home ref for internationals etc. What is so difficult to understand?

1 minute ago, Scubby said:

This is not a ###### NRL or RFL thing. It is the World game bloody penny pinching and elements within it having its own agendas. There could be a rule put in place tomorrow that states "ALL" sanctioned International RL games should have a referee from a non-competing country and it would end there!

Australia should not be allowed the bunker, England should not be allowed Phil Bentham for an England game. Denver was WRONG!! PNG should never be allowed a home ref for internationals. What is so difficult to understand?

So every game between Australia and England is Reffed by the barely adequate Henry Perenara?

There is a point where competency is more important than supposed neutrality.

When he retires or quits, what then?

1 hour ago, Manx RL said:

I thought all referees were neutral?

Sutton wasn't today. Quite an inept performance from him today.

Clearly favoured the Aussies in the first half and evened it up second half when he knew the Aussies wouldn't lose. Heaven help us if he's the best ref in the NRL because it doesn't say much for the others

Just now, The Future is League said:

Sutton wasn't today. Quite an inept performance from him today.

Clearly favoured the Aussies in the first half and evened it up second half when he knew the Aussies wouldn't lose. Heaven help us if he's the best ref in the NRL because it doesn't say much for the others

He reffed badly for both teams but did not affect the outcome.

He penalised the Aussies for laying on and holding down when he let Tonga do much more without penalty.

Its in the eye of the beholder, one thing I have noticed here though is that the Kangaroos are the Antichrist personified.

Archived