Sign in to follow this  
Bedford Roughyed

Sports marketing in a digital world

This may be AOB but I think there are hints of similar things in RL.  Major difference is we are not in a financially great position to begin with.

However, I think some of the points translate, about becoming invisible for a short term gain (sky, online clips, etc).  I always think of the ‘Big Hits’ video that did the rounds years ago, it was everywhere, before it got taken down and striked for copyright.  

Instead of chasing fans for copyright infringements for showing clips or tries on twitter or YouTube, we should be putting them out officially during a game.  Someone scores a great try, clip it, put logos on it and put it out there to be shared, much better than a recording a tv on your mobile?  The NFL do this I think?

I noticed that the last 2 tests down under had the highlights on YouTube really quick, surely that’s the way to go?

Short term you might gain by putting a game on the Our League app for a few quid, but long term would doing it for free on YouTube and Facebook be better?

Can clubs do more?  Behind the scenes? Training? Match day?  Is there more than just a few news items a week and the score on the match day?

Just throwing it out, what do you think?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

I always think of the ‘Big Hits’ video that did the rounds years ago, it was everywhere, before it got taken down and striked for copyright.  

Instead of chasing fans for copyright infringements for showing clips or tries on twitter or YouTube, we should be putting them out officially during a game.  Someone scores a great try, clip it, put logos on it and put it out there to be shared, much better than a recording a tv on your mobile?

I noticed that the last 2 tests down under had the highlights on YouTube really quick, surely that’s the way to go?

I totally agree with you. Instead of stopping people watching clips, highlights etc, SL (or whoever) should be compiling and making these sorts of videos. There are loads of rugby league “reaction” videos (some of which get lots of views), but they’re just about all NRL videos. Rugby league in this country needs up its game in this regard.

Yes. Turning a (slightly) blind eye to a bit of piracy can yield dividends later once viewers are hooked. The task then is to legitimise them and generate a revenue stream. 

How much would it cost to have an office full of youngsters working on the game on't interweb?

I get inundated with England Union Ads when I come on here. Display advertising is relatively cheap if you target the right audience and pay per thousand impressions. The RFL could also look at using paid advertising on Facebook/Twitter to promote news articles to a wider audience. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

This may be AOB but I think there are hints of similar things in RL.  Major difference is we are not in a financially great position to begin with.

However, I think some of the points translate, about becoming invisible for a short term gain (sky, online clips, etc).  I always think of the ‘Big Hits’ video that did the rounds years ago, it was everywhere, before it got taken down and striked for copyright.  

Instead of chasing fans for copyright infringements for showing clips or tries on twitter or YouTube, we should be putting them out officially during a game.  Someone scores a great try, clip it, put logos on it and put it out there to be shared, much better than a recording a tv on your mobile?  The NFL do this I think?

Short term you might gain by putting a game on the Our League app for a few quid, but long term would doing it for free on YouTube and Facebook be better?

Can clubs do more?  Behind the scenes? Training? Match day?  Is there more than just a few news items a week and the score on the match day?

Just throwing it out, what do you think?

The Bradford Bulls and Proper Sport have already been doing this in the season just gone.

Over 180k people watching York and Bradford serve up the best game of the year with the result not decided until the very last play.

All the clips of the tries were on Facebook and Twitter as soon as the tries were scored.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Michael Gledhill said:

The Bradford Bulls and Proper Sport have already been doing this in the season just gone.

Over 180k people watching York and Bradford serve up the best game of the year with the result not decided until the very last play.

All the clips of the tries were on Facebook and Twitter as soon as the tries were scored.

Has it been expensive for the Bulls to do this?

1 hour ago, Michael Gledhill said:

180k people watching or 180k views? 

How did you get to the conclusion it’s been watched by 180k people?

Statistical BS?

7 hours ago, Oxford said:

How much would it cost to have an office full of youngsters working on the game on't interweb?

IMO/IME about £25-30k* a head if you want them to be any good and stay. It might look easy, but "youngsters have got a market rate the same as anyone else. Individual clubs can get away with paying peanuts to "interns" but not the governing body.

*Roughly what a half decent media agency would pay and that's who you're competing with for these people

36 minutes ago, iffleyox said:

*Roughly what a half decent media agency would pay and that's who you're competing with for these people

90,000 for three ..... I suppose there's no point stating it's a bargain.

Speculate to accumulate.

One thing digital advertising does give you is better data, you can see which adverts are driving sales.  You get actual numbers.  

Should the RFL be helping clubs share best practice?  Training the volunteers at a lower level?

Local newspapers are dying, so what can be done to get stories out there?  Are we still too set in our ways?  

12 hours ago, Oxford said:

90,000 for three ..... I suppose there's no point stating it's a bargain.

Good developers and digital marketing people want more than just money, they want perks like free breakfast, Friday afternoon drinks and personal project time. Without this the turnover of staff will be huge. The agencies and companies that do this, like Sky Bet in Leeds do very well.

9 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Speculate to accumulate.

One thing digital advertising does give you is better data, you can see which adverts are driving sales.  You get actual numbers.  

Should the RFL be helping clubs share best practice?  Training the volunteers at a lower level?

Local newspapers are dying, so what can be done to get stories out there?  Are we still too set in our ways?  

Oh yes, the trackablikity of digital marketing has been a pain in my backside for years. If sales are good it’s the offline advertising that is driving it, if sales are down then it must be the fault of paid digital. This is the effect of having old school marketing people in senior positions. Most of them just don’t get digital, a lot certainly don’t get influencer marketing.

16 hours ago, Michael Gledhill said:

Mick I admire your enthusiasm and it is great what Bradford are doing but 180k is not true. The number of people watching beyond 3 or 10 seconds will be a fraction of that. Many of those just scrolling through something that popped up on their timeline. 

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

Mick I admire your enthusiasm and it is great what Bradford are doing but 180k is not true. The number of people watching beyond 3 or 10 seconds will be a fraction of that. Many of those just scrolling through something that popped up on their timeline. 

The actual viewing figure for that first game across all platforms is currently 211,000. 

Did all 211,000 watch at the same time? No. Because the viewing figures after the FT hooter at Bootham Cresent we’re at 89,000. 

Add in the impressive unique device figures and it shows that covering these games has been an extremely worthwhile exercise. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Michael Gledhill said:

The actual viewing figure for that first game across all platforms is currently 211,000. 

Did all 211,000 watch at the same time? No. Because the viewing figures after the FT hooter at Bootham Cresent we’re at 89,000. 

Add in the impressive unique device figures and it shows that covering these games has been an extremely worthwhile exercise. 

How is it going to work next year Mick, when you can't do live streaming of games? 

Will you go into a subscription model like RoversTV?

1 hour ago, Michael Gledhill said:

Again I laud Bradford's efforts - very commendable. But YouTube will give you unique viewers and facebook is pretty much impression based. My company can get 10k "views" for things on facebook and 70% is impressions and 3-sec scroll bys. 

4 hours ago, Mark S said:

Good developers and digital marketing people want more than just money, they want perks like free breakfast, Friday afternoon drinks and personal project time. Without this the turnover of staff will be huge. The agencies and companies that do this, like Sky Bet in Leeds do very well.

If you do well this week team , you can make the numbers up for East Leeds A v Hunslet Parkside A .

o'Ye its only a 5er subs .

9 hours ago, Mark S said:

digital marketing people want more than just money, they want perks like free breakfast, Friday afternoon drinks and personal project time.

They'll fit right in at the RFL then, won't they?

2 hours ago, Oxford said:

They'll fit right in at the RFL then, won't they?

If they like a buffet they will be quids in.

I would be putting the Rugby AM podcast clips on the big screens, telling people to subscribe to it in the programs, same with RFL youtube and Superleague youtube channels marketing for Rugby League is ###### poor. Why not have Burgess doing a Dacia Radio or TV add? He's the biggest UK name use him before he retires.

52 minutes ago, Bert1 said:

I would be putting the Rugby AM podcast clips on the big screens, telling people to subscribe to it in the programs, same with RFL youtube and Superleague youtube channels marketing for Rugby League is ###### poor. Why not have Burgess doing a Dacia Radio or TV add? He's the biggest UK name use him before he retires.

Burgess doing an ad for Jacamo has got to be a start. He'll be a shoo in for the Top Gear gig within a decade