Scubby

Job is too big for Rimmer?

Recommended Posts

If he was coming into a game in a healthy state then you could offer the guy a honeymoon period. However, he is an insider and some things are starting to look more than a little alarming. Does he actually posses the innate ability and skills to re-position the UK game and address this?

  • We have no date for the 2019 Challenge Cup. The Plan B talk for Catalans getting there was laughable. Wembley crowds sliding.
  • Sluggish sales and interest for the England series. France hidden away on a Wednesday and behind a glitchy app. No more home tests planned for 2 years. GB looking like an afterthought.
  • Sides not even fielding full teams of 17 - without addressing it or punishing it
  • No clear policy on League 1 and the professional structure
  • Declining participation etc. 

Forget the separation with SL - he is still responsible for massive parts of our sport in the UK. Normally when someone comes into a high profile role like this you feel the rumbles of change as they stamp themselves on the job. I see absolutely nothing. In fact I hear nothing. What does he actually stand for?

Edited by Scubby
  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I see absolutely nothing. In fact I hear nothing. What does he actually stand for?

There are worrying signs fo atrophy rather than creative forward thinking, sadly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regrettably,I have to say the silence/leadership is deafening.

Not an easy job but fear he is not pro active,merely tries his best to muddle through,once a problem is detected.

If his 'solution' to slow ticket sales for the NZ series is merely last minute cheap/freebies I really will be worried.General marketing/publicity for Challenge Cup,Grand Final and NZ series has been effectively zero - someone must be reasonable for that?

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was a safe and cheap appointment, unlikely to rock the boat when it it needs tossing in a storm force 10 gale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So much of what you see is cheap , incompetence , amateurish , or a lack of visibility , then you look at the leadership and you see where it comes from and it doesn’t exactly inspire you with much confidence . It just appears a long rap sheet

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

He was a safe and cheap appointment, unlikely to rock the boat when it it needs tossing in a storm force 10 gale.

I think i understand what you are saying.

My analogy is that we need to put out a sea anchor so that the bow faces the heavy seas. Currently we are broadside on to the waves.

Next we need to start and to keep bailing, and then set course for a well provisioned harbour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Rupert Prince said:

I think i understand what you are saying.

My analogy is that we need to put out a sea anchor so that the bow faces the heavy seas. Currently we are broadside on to the waves.

Next we need to start and to keep bailing, and then set course for a well provisioned harbour.

Set sail for Nova Scotia

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Scubby said:

If he was coming into a game in a healthy state then you could offer the guy a honeymoon period. However, he is an insider and some things are starting to look more than a little alarming. Does he actually posses the innate ability and skills to re-position the UK game and address this?

  • We have no date for the 2019 Challenge Cup. The Plan B talk for Catalans getting there was laughable. Wembley crowds sliding.
  • Sluggish sales and interest for the England series. France hidden away on a Wednesday and behind a glitchy app. No more home tests planned for 2 years. GB looking like an afterthought.
  • Sides not even fielding full teams of 17 - without addressing it or punishing it
  • No clear policy on League 1 and the professional structure
  • Declining participation etc. 

Forget the separation with SL - he is still responsible for massive parts of our sport in the UK. Normally when someone comes into a high profile role like this you feel the rumbles of change as they stamp themselves on the job. I see absolutely nothing. In fact I hear nothing. What does he actually stand for?

I was thinking the same myself and was considering starting a similar thread though I doubt I'd have worded it as well.

I've got more than 20 people bending my ear about running a Wembley trip - I usually ask after the last one and book the tickets after the Grand Final and I can't tell them a single thing. Added to this we were considering the Magic Weekend but unless I've missed something we don't know when or where that is either - the tickets are certainly not for sale on the website.

This is starting to get really worrying for those of us who love the game, want to spend some money on it and try to get others to attend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should we all as RL fans start emailing the RFL with these questions as well as offering our ideas.

If enough of us regularly do this it might help get them to be more proactive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has his office instigated the botched amateur players survey, I say botched because they have every players email address and not one of my players received any direct notice from the RFL. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

I was thinking the same myself and was considering starting a similar thread though I doubt I'd have worded it as well.

I've got more than 20 people bending my ear about running a Wembley trip - I usually ask after the last one and book the tickets after the Grand Final and I can't tell them a single thing. Added to this we were considering the Magic Weekend but unless I've missed something we don't know when or where that is either - the tickets are certainly not for sale on the website.

This is starting to get really worrying for those of us who love the game, want to spend some money on it and try to get others to attend

Wonder if they are having a good think about where to slot the challenge cup in the season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Should we all as RL fans start emailing the RFL with these questions as well as offering our ideas.

If enough of us regularly do this it might help get them to be more proactive

Giving them more than one problem to solve at anyone tome may just overload the system.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Marauder said:

Giving them more than one problem to solve at anyone tome may just overload the system.

 

Good point. We could just offer them solutions and let him take the credit

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Marauder said:

Wonder if they are having a good think about where to slot the challenge cup in the season.

It was certainly on the fans questionnaire along with different dates but it is every year.

The Challenge Cup, along with the Magic Weekend and ideally the Grand Final should be planed 2 years in advanced, we should know the 2019 venues and dates now and the 2020 venues and dates should be announced in 2019 season before that years events so tickets can be sold then. An example, this year I attended the Rebellion Festival for the first time, at the event there where 500 tickets for the 2019 Festival at the cheapest price they were going to be sold and I believe they all went, we bought ours a week later for £8 more, not a lot but they start pushing the demand early and stick to it

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me the key question is would someone like Rimmer or indeed Wood get a similar highly paid job outside the world of Rugby League? I certainly think the answer is no. They have climbed the slippery slope of RL politics and have held the game back by placating lower League clubs to rise and stay in power. I don't think they are there from a skills or talent perspective and are not qualified for the role.

Someone like Lewis came from Tennis and was wanted back by Tennis. The likes of Elstone have worked in Football. Whether you agree with them or not they seem like competent sports administrators that know what the issues are and have/had a plan to fix them. I just couldn't see any other sport or business looking to get Rimmer or Woods involved in any capacity and certainly not on circa £300k.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Damien said:

For me the key question is would someone like Rimmer or indeed Wood get a similar highly paid job outside the world of Rugby League? I certainly think the answer is no. They have climbed the slippery slope of RL politics and have held the game back by placating lower League clubs to rise and stay in power. I don't think they are there from a skills or talent perspective and are not qualified for the role.

Someone like Lewis came from Tennis and was wanted back by Tennis. The likes of Elstone have worked in Football. Whether you agree with them or not they seem like competent sports administrators that know what the issues are and have/had a plan to fix them. I just couldn't see any other sport or business looking to get Rimmer or Woods involved in any capacity and certainly not on circa £300k.

Correct and the money they are syphoning off comes from TV money which is earned by the Superleague clubs who are being wagged around by the tail the RLF and their remaining clubs.

Edited by Rupert Prince
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m looking forward to a hard-hitting article in the League Express tomorrow about such issues.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Correct and the money they are syphoning off comes from TV money which is earned by the Superleague clubs who are being wagged around by the tail the RLF and their remaining clubs.

Are you saying the other clubs shouldn't have a say ?

Edited by Marauder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Are you saying the other clubs shouldn't have a say ?

Not saying that.  But superleague makes the money.  People like Rimmer make loads of money that they do not earn. This can of course be said about other sports, and generally I think most of these leaders are self serving and it strikes me none more so than the RLF leadership along with a good chunk of the leaders of the none SL clubs.

By all means let a fair chunk of TV money go to the feeding of the grass roots and thus the viability of game (which feeds into the elite SL) but that does not mean the majority of effectively destitute and clueless RL clubs should dictate to those who actually earn the money.

And BTW, whilst some these players might feed into the likes of Wigan and Leeds for their benefit, they are active themselves in producing grass roots players.  When we see some clubs barely raising a team and still demanding to run the game, well they can either put up or shut up in my opinion.

If people do not like the facts of life, then they should go and find a new planet to live on. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Not saying that.  But superleague makes the money.  People like Rimmer make loads of money that they do not earn. This can of course be said about other sports, and generally I think most of these leaders are self serving and it strikes me none more so than the RLF leadership along with a good chunk of the leaders of the none SL clubs.

By all means let a fair chunk of TV money go to the feeding of the grass roots and thus the viability of game (which feeds into the elite SL) but that does not mean the majority of effectively destitute and clueless RL clubs should dictate to those who actually earn the money.

And BTW, whilst some these players might feed into the likes of Wigan and Leeds for their benefit, they are active themselves in producing grass roots players.  When we see some clubs barely raising a team and still demanding to run the game, well they can either put up or shut up in my opinion.

If people do not like the facts of life, then they should go and find a new planet to live on. 

But without the non super league sections of our sport we wouldn't have super league and if the RFL are guilty of anything IMO is they try to run a system that caters to much on the elite end of development to feed into super league, yes I know we need to be doing this but we should also be looking out for the lowest of the low.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scubby said:

If he was coming into a game in a healthy state then you could offer the guy a honeymoon period. However, he is an insider and some things are starting to look more than a little alarming. Does he actually posses the innate ability and skills to re-position the UK game and address this?

  • We have no date for the 2019 Challenge Cup. The Plan B talk for Catalans getting there was laughable. Wembley crowds sliding.
  • Sluggish sales and interest for the England series. France hidden away on a Wednesday and behind a glitchy app. No more home tests planned for 2 years. GB looking like an afterthought.
  • Sides not even fielding full teams of 17 - without addressing it or punishing it
  • No clear policy on League 1 and the professional structure
  • Declining participation etc. 

Forget the separation with SL - he is still responsible for massive parts of our sport in the UK. Normally when someone comes into a high profile role like this you feel the rumbles of change as they stamp themselves on the job. I see absolutely nothing. In fact I hear nothing. What does he actually stand for?

That's exactly what everyone is saying about Robert Elstone.

How can he justify his £445k salary? Seriously? 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scubby said:

If he was coming into a game in a healthy state then you could offer the guy a honeymoon period. However, he is an insider and some things are starting to look more than a little alarming. Does he actually posses the innate ability and skills to re-position the UK game and address this?

  • We have no date for the 2019 Challenge Cup. The Plan B talk for Catalans getting there was laughable. Wembley crowds sliding.
  • Sluggish sales and interest for the England series. France hidden away on a Wednesday and behind a glitchy app. No more home tests planned for 2 years. GB looking like an afterthought.
  • Sides not even fielding full teams of 17 - without addressing it or punishing it
  • No clear policy on League 1 and the professional structure
  • Declining participation etc. 

Forget the separation with SL - he is still responsible for massive parts of our sport in the UK. Normally when someone comes into a high profile role like this you feel the rumbles of change as they stamp themselves on the job. I see absolutely nothing. In fact I hear nothing. What does he actually stand for?

I was gonna post this elsewhere dare I say it?  Please come back Wood all is forgiven!

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Michael Gledhill said:

That's exactly what everyone is saying about Robert Elstone.

How can he justify his £445k salary? Seriously? 

Elstone gets a stay of execution as he’s been in the post less than a season. To enact institutional change in such a small timeframe is a bit impossible. And he’s at least stamped his authority on the structural change whether anyone likes it or not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GeordieSaint said:

Elstone gets a stay of execution as he’s been in the post less than a season. To enact institutional change in such a small timeframe is a bit impossible. And he’s at least stamped his authority on the structural change whether anyone likes it or not. 

The problem with stamping your authority on the structural change is that when the loop fixtures and repeated fixtures contribute to further meaningless fixtures with even lower crowds - it'll be too late for him to arrest further damage. 

I really hope I'm wrong, but I can't see how this new structure for Super League provides it with stimulus and growth.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Michael Gledhill said:

The problem with stamping your authority on the structural change is that when the loop fixtures and repeated fixtures contribute to further meaningless fixtures with even lower crowds - it'll be too late for him to arrest further damage. 

I really hope I'm wrong, but I can't see how this new structure for Super League provides it with stimulus and growth.

It won’t; I agree. But at least he’s made a decision and can be held to account for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express Yearbook 2018/19 - Order Now


Rugby League World - Nov 2018

Rugby League World - Nov 2018



League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday