Sign in to follow this  
Gerrumonside ref

Wigan and Sydney Roosters hold positive talks over World Club Challenge

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

A few days old this one, but good news nonetheless and something to look forward to next year.

Wigan’s preference is to hold it at home.

https://www.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12204/11528027/wigan-and-sydney-roosters-hold-positive-talks-over-world-club-challenge-2019

I think we’ll see more of this.  People speaking to each other and agreeing the deal.  

Not hard is it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

I think we’ll see more of this.  People speaking to each other and agreeing the deal.  

 

Not hard is it.

Speaking is easy. Agreeing a deal is the hard part. There's not always an easy solution.

At the moment, nothing has been agreed, but Wigan are saying they'd prefer it to be in England. There's a surprise. I'd imagine the Sydney Roosters would prefer it to be in Australia. Someone will have to compromise.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd like it to be held at a big venue such as Etihad. Could make it a massive event. Think they could get a big crowd.

Would also like Catalan dragons to get a game as CC winners to add some prestige to the cup.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Speaking is easy. Agreeing a deal is the hard part. There's not always an easy solution.

At the moment, nothing has been agreed, but Wigan are saying they'd prefer it to be in England. There's a surprise. I'd imagine the Sydney Roosters would prefer it to be in Australia. Someone will have to compromise.

So, they’ll have to compromise and agree or disagree.  Not all discussions are hard at all, some are easy and we don’t have evidence to say otherwise, or do we.

I had a discussion with my wife about a credit card bill.  We had a discussion, I put my case forward, she put hers.  I agreed with hers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

So, they’ll have to compromise and agree or disagree.  Not all discussions are hard at all, some are easy and we don’t have evidence to say otherwise, or do we.

I had a discussion with my wife about a credit card bill.  We had a discussion, I put my case forward, she put hers.  I agreed with hers.

However, they were usually all sorted and announced by now. Even for the two and three game series'. 

Last year's was announced in November but previously they would be shortly after our grand final.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Dave T said:

However, they were usually all sorted and announced by now. Even for the two and three game series'. 

Last year's was announced in November but previously they would be shortly after our grand final.

I think the WCS has conveniently joined the Exiles as a 2/3 years and out concept.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Scubby said:

I think the WCS has conveniently joined the Exiles as a 2/3 years and out concept.

And the Roses match. They were 3 years. Surprised they haven't been tabled by Nigel Wood as a future plan yet.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dave T said:

However, they were usually all sorted and announced by now. Even for the two and three game series'. 

Last year's was announced in November but previously they would be shortly after our grand final.

Being honest, I’m not sure how these fixtures were arranged anyway, or by whom, but the one-off games Wigan and Hull arranged seemed to be sorted out relatively easy enough.

Now we’ve got SL in charge of their own destiny, negotiations might fare better.  I agree that we need to have these games set in stone more. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not that bothered about this game getting sorted out at all to be honest.

With the players Wigan have lost, and with no sign of any additional new ones arriving, I fear we would get butchered by the Roosters come February.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Being honest, I’m not sure how these fixtures were arranged anyway, or by whom, but the one-off games Wigan and Hull arranged seemed to be sorted out relatively easy enough.

Now we’ve got SL in charge of their own destiny, negotiations might fare better.  I agree that we need to have these games set in stone more. 

Is it surprising to you that Wigan have a preferred position of playing the game in Wigan?

I only say this as I would have thought they may have wanted to build upon last year’s trip to Australia where they seemed to evangelising all things Wigan (unless the trip is now seen as a negative thing).

Perhaps it just comes down to giving themselves the best chance possible of winning the World Club Challenge.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Being honest, I’m not sure how these fixtures were arranged anyway, or by whom, but the one-off games Wigan and Hull arranged seemed to be sorted out relatively easy enough.

Now we’ve got SL in charge of their own destiny, negotiations might fare better.  I agree that we need to have these games set in stone more. 

It was always the RFL employees who worked for SLE who announced this, but the unconfirmed status of this is not progress so far.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Is it surprising to you that Wigan have a preferred position of playing the game in Wigan?

I only say this as I would have thought they may have wanted to build upon last year’s trip to Australia where they seemed to evangelising all things Wigan (unless the trip is now seen as a negative thing).

Perhaps it just comes down to giving themselves the best chance possible of winning the World Club Challenge.

I think all our clubs competing v NRL clubs would increase chances and improvement.  Wigan might find it tough though due to a few changes in players and personnel.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Is it surprising to you that Wigan have a preferred position of playing the game in Wigan?

I only say this as I would have thought they may have wanted to build upon last year’s trip to Australia where they seemed to evangelising all things Wigan (unless the trip is now seen as a negative thing).

Perhaps it just comes down to giving themselves the best chance possible of winning the World Club Challenge.

On the Aussie point, it will be interesting to see how SL games in Australia fare, with the much heralded success of the games last year and the most important commercial deal in the history of Wigan RL. Surely it wouldn't be a one off.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It was always the RFL employees who worked for SLE who announced this, but the unconfirmed status of this is not progress so far.

Fairy steps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lowdesert said:

Fairy steps.

If this was the RFL negotiating, the fact that it hasn't been agreed yet would be jumped on as a sign of their incompetence. I find it fair that SLE are judged by the same standards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jim Prendle said:

I'm not that bothered about this game getting sorted out at all to be honest.

With the players Wigan have lost, and with no sign of any additional new ones arriving, I fear we would get butchered by the Roosters come February.

I think we have to play these types of games if we get the chance Jim.  I have seen more losses than wins over the years both internationally and domestic.  But when the wins come they are special (Manly at Central Park, Brisbane away for example). We can't not play games just because we are worried about losing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dave T said:

If this was the RFL negotiating, the fact that it hasn't been agreed yet would be jumped on as a sign of their incompetence. I find it fair that SLE are judged by the same standards.

It's just over a week since the final participant in this game was known. Do you not think you are overreacting just a touch?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dunbar said:

I think we have to play these types of games if we get the chance Jim.  I have seen more losses than wins over the years both internationally and domestic.  But when the wins come they are special (Manly at Central Park, Brisbane away for example). We can't not play games just because we are worried about losing.

I don't for one minute think we shouldn't play it, I'm just concerned we might get thrashed.

Just because I'm a mard ###### is not enough reason for the game to be cancelled though.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jim Prendle said:

It's just over a week since the final participant in this game was known. Do you not think you are overreacting just a touch?

If writing a few words on a forum is over-reacting, then guilty.

The likes of the FA don't just leave it to the club's to give each other a call and play for the Community Shield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We know that one team will win Super League and one team will win the NRL every year.  We could lock in the WCC date and location for the next 20 years if we wanted to.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dave T said:

If writing a few words on a forum is over-reacting, then guilty.

The likes of the FA don't just leave it to the club's to give each other a call and play for the Community Shield.

Don't be so touchy.

It's one week since the SL GF. It has never been accepted practice that SLE organise this game, and you are aware of that yet are still happy to condemn their inaction on something they don't normally get involved in.

Seems to me that plenty people are just far too willing to pile in at every available opportunity these days.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sydney Roosters might feel there’s a better chance of marketing a game in Australia against Wigan than against Warrington.

That could be a reason why nothing is set in stone.

Also there is the obvious point that not every NRL coach sees the value of the World Club Challenge.

Edited by Gerrumonside ref
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express Yearbook 2018/19 - Order Now


Rugby League World - Nov 2018

Rugby League World - Nov 2018



League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday