Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Moscow01

Hemel pull out of League 1

1 hour ago, BD20Cougar said:

Sad situation all round. 10 home games for league 1 teams next season is a disaster. 

Rubbish isn’t it . This was my big concern as it was . Where is League one going ? They could siphon off the top half dozen or so into a beefed up championship at this rate 

49 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I can’t help feeling it’s for the best, sadly. They never could really transition to the professional level; I guess they’ll play in the new CLS? They still have grassroots development and that’s where their main focus should remain 

Yes, says on the RFL site -

"They have already submitted an expression of interest in joining the tier four Southern Conference competition that will be launched in the spring of 2019 – one of 14 expressions that have already been received. At this stage there are no plans for them to be replaced in Betfred League 1 in 2019, meaning the fixture list is being drawn up for an 11-team competition."

• Thanks 1

This is sad, sad news. We need all the clubs we can get and Hemel have been pioneers for so many years. As others have said the Dewsbury move was a disaster and was very ill thought out. I certainly hope that they can regroup and come back stronger but am not too hopeful. I certainly hope that the RFL look to help them and ensure that all the good work over the last few decades isn't wasted.

• Like 1

Sad news.

I can’t help but remember now though that a few years ago, when some people, including myself , said the sport should invest in the London Broncos , some more traditional supporters were saying that this was wrong and by contrast “Hemel we’re doing it the right way”.

Just now, westlondonfan said:

Sad news.

I can’t help but remember now though that a few years ago, when some people, including myself , said the sport should invest in the London Broncos , some more traditional supporters were saying that this was wrong and by contrast “Hemel we’re doing it the right way”.

They probably were until the Dewsbury farrago.

That said, despite a few encouraging signs - one rare sunny afternoon at Pennine Way when we beat Crusaders in front of a big crowd stays in the mind - there has never been the feel of the local population 'buying in' to the team. I'm just not sure (semi) pro RL is feasible in Hemel - not for many years to come anyway.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Celtic Rooster said:

No shock, but don't worry - Super Greed is doing fine?

How on earth is this Superleague's fault? You only have to read this thread to see where the issues lie. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Colliwobble said:

What did actually happen to Oxford and Gloucester?

Do those clubs still exist?

Nope, they're dead as professional clubs. However from what I remember their tapping up of players for their Bristol venture lead to the collapse of the Bristol Sonics (who are returning next year).

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mumby Magic said:

Does make me wonder about all the last minute hastiness in expanding the championship to 14. Have the RFL plans for the future and how does the "new" Southern division come into it?

Not sure the Championship clubs would be happy merging with League One and having to evenly share their slice of the pie tbh. 

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

Rubbish isn’t it . This was my big concern as it was . Where is League one going ? They could siphon off the top half dozen or so into a beefed up championship at this rate 

Think you could be right, if the new TV deal is less, and I think it will be,there will no league 1 in 2021.only North n South conferences. 

• Like 1

I’m not really sure what the purpose of League One is. I’m not really sure what The RFL aims for from League One as a competition and it’s teams.

We’ve now lost three teams in just over a year from League One, all three from the South of England. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fevtom said:

Wow, League One is looking very empty all of a sudden. I can't see them returning either.

nail on the head.  they won't return.

Rugby League: Alive and Handling

11 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

1. I’m not really sure what the purpose of League One is. I’m not really sure what The RFL aims for from League One as a competition and it’s teams.

2. We’ve now lost three teams in just over a year from League One, all three from the South of England. 

does point 1 not sort of cause point 2 as well. 

For everyone bemoaning this, for the good of the game in Hemel this may actually be a good thing. With the changing player demographic and training base was this really helping the game grow in the area or was it merely just a show pony? Going back to go forward is ok as long as the forward momentum of going back to what they used to be when I was in London is continued, they were growing and looking good but this jump hurt that. 

League one, before anything else happens (except next season happening of course) has to work out what its purpose is and how best to fulfil said purpose.. only then should it plan for new clubs/restructure etc.. until it does it that way around there will be no joined up thinking or plan for anyone coming in or for any progression. 

It is the same for the entire club game, Super League are at least showing signs of having a plan, whether you agree with that plan or not is a different matter. 

But the RFL seems to have nothing... at club or England level.. and its costing them clubs left right and center. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Moscow01 said:

I’d be astonished if there’s a League 1 in five years’ time. 

I think Lenagan's letter mentioned a quicker timeframe.

Interesting,I suppose,viewing expansion sides,that Oxford,University of Gloucester,and Hemel Stags,all travelled to Toronto in 2017 and scored more points than London Broncos managed a few weeks ago.

The latter go into Super League - the other 3 elsewhere.

I suppose the RFL will be grateful for a little addition to their coffers that would have gone to Hemel.

I hope Messrs. Howieson and Thomas find alternative coaching positions and the players continue to enjoy the sport and realise their potential.

Two Hemel players have been signed by a Championship club.

At this point in time I am struggling to notice how the sport is up there with the other code.

I shall remain patient...

Born - didn't ask. Dying - didn't argue                                 

22 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I’m not really sure what the purpose of League One is. I’m not really sure what The RFL aims for from League One as a competition and it’s teams.

We’ve now lost three teams in just over a year from League One, all three from the South of England. 

Exactly , it’s a mesh of two leagues really with quite different perspectives 

I wonder what assistance clubs get at this level from the RFL. Are they just thrown in and see what happens? The worrying part with this situation is Hemel ARE established. We talk about clubs with little or no background. Hemel had/have it.

We needn't worry about other clubs in the division. The other so called expansion team seem to be doing things the right way.

• Confused 1

Like poor jokes? Thejoketeller@mullymessiah