4 Nov: England v New Zealand KO 2.30pm (BBC TV)

Who will win?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• England by 13 points or more
    • England by 7 to 12
    • England by 1 to 6
    • Draw
    • New Zealand by 1 to 6 points
    • New Zealand by 7 to 12 points
    • New Zealand by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/11/18 at 14:30

6 - 6 HT. 

That was pretty brutal. 

England had to be pretty resilient they didn't have much territory and were taking some heavy hits bringing the ball out. 

Will be interesting to see who fatigues 1st. England only made 17 more tackles more but it felt the Kiwis were putting a lot more into theirs especially when England were bringing the ball out. 

We look much better with Hodgson in the halves. Tomkins and Lomax both go sideways too much so when we have the ball in my opinion. 

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Agbrigg said:

Connor looking well out of his depth. Can,t believe we have Percival in the squad but not playing him

He’s had some rubbish to deal with as well . They’re in his face when it gets to him at times . Centres need sharp service 

Just now, Moove said:

Just need to stop him playing hooker then. That try wouldn't happen with his level of ball distribution from the play-the-ball

Briefly debated in a previous thread, hes playing 13 at the minute  

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

New Zealand came out firing and threw everything they had at England.  Yet they only have one try on the board and level.  I expect they will be a little downhearted at that.  A good first 15 in the second half and we can win this.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, MarraSaint said:

When your centres are playing  **very bad (edited) — the best way is to pass like Williams and miss out Connor straight to the winger 

You would miss the centre out there anyway so your point, is rather, er, pointless.

1 minute ago, Shadow said:

Not hard to achieve though to be fair

Should probably give the England defence some credit though. The Kiwis had a lot of possession & territory, but very few actual scoring chances and I don't recall them forcing an England drop-out at any point. The wingers have had to take a bit of a bombardment from the air, but they've coped perfectly so far.

England have taken a while to find their feet in attack, but have to applaud their defensive resilience these days. England teams of times gone by would never have been able to hang on the way this team does. And in attack, they've clearly learned on the run to play straighter, and hit the edge backrowers more often. They looked so much better in the last 10 minutes. Makinson, Hodgson and Thompson have been England's best players so far, but also happy with how Tomkins and Williams have gotten into the game.

Just now, JonM said:

Should probably give the England defence some credit though. The Kiwis had a lot of possession & territory, but very few actual scoring chances and I don't recall them forcing an England drop-out at any point. The wingers have had to take a bit of a bombardment from the air, but they've coped perfectly so far.

True, England Defence has kept them in the game.

I think we have to say Hodgson has been a lot better this week as well.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

13 minutes ago, MarraSaint said:

Gildart having a mare !!

To be fair the first 'knock on' was a ball steal, the second was a pass to the floor. The third should have been taken though. Gildart and Connor looked a bit on edge when the ball was coming wide.

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

New Zealand came out firing and threw everything they had at England.  Yet they only have one try on the board and level.  I expect they will be a little downhearted at that.  A good first 15 in the second half and we can win this.

Good summary. My feelings - hopes - in a nutshell.

4 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Bacon and saudage butty for me and a can of John Smiths

You can take masochism too far, you know.

Meanwhile, Chapman is keeping the discussion buzzing and fun once again.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

It's not all that long ago that England would have folded under the pressure of the first 25 minutes and conceded another 2 or 3 tries. A good indication of how things have improved that they held on and finished the half (just) the stronger.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

1. Hardaker
  2. Hall
  3. Percival
  4. Watkins
  5. Johnstone
  6. Richardson
  7. Gale
  8. Taylor
  9. Roby
  10. Walmsley
  11. S Burgess
  12. Ashurst
  13. Ward
  14. MCilorum
  15. McMeekin
  16. Watts
  17. Sutton

interesting how many players we’ve got who certainly wouldn’t look out of place in this series

Archived