Menzie Yere & family face deportation

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/menzie-yere-and-family-facing-deportation-from-uk/

Veteran centre Menzie Yere and his family face deportation back to Papua New Guinea – unless they can gain UK citizenship before December 19.

Fans of Sheffield Eagles have started a fundraising campaign to raise the money Yere, his wife Sandy and their two sons – who were both born in the UK – with an initial target of £5,000.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

27 minutes ago, andyram said:

Surprised the Eagles couldn't sort this out without asking for donations. They have been the big spenders in the Championship during the close season.

I agree 100% andyram. It’s the supporters who have started this though.

Reading up on the Sheffield press, it looks like Eagles have released him (out of contract), and have signed overseas replacements.  They would like to re-sign him, but only if he's off-quota.

Now he has no contract, he has to leave the country.

May I be contreversial and say" Quite right"! PNG centre's coming over here taking good English centre's jobs.....shocking. Send him and his non English family back post haste....Sajid and May, do your jobs!!

6 minutes ago, Gray1967 said:

May I be contreversial and say" Quite right"! PNG centre's coming over here taking good English centre's jobs.....shocking. Send him and his non English family back post haste....Sajid and May, do your jobs!!

No, you may not, with those rogue apostrophes clearly marking you out as some fiendish swarthy foreign non-anglophone type.

And that's before we get to the spelling abomination that is "contreversial".

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

14 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

No, you may not, with those rogue apostrophes clearly marking you out as some fiendish swarthy foreign non-anglophone type.

And that's before we get to the spelling abomination that is "contreversial".

Its a fair cop guvnor....get the grammar police round ? Fiendish and swarthy...I like it*

* Takes a swig of his Singapore Sling and twiddles rakish moustache whilst relaxing in smoking jacket

8 hours ago, dboy said:

Reading up on the Sheffield press, it looks like Eagles have released him (out of contract), and have signed overseas replacements.  They would like to re-sign him, but only if he's off-quota.

I thought PNG players came under the Kolpak agreement so didn’t count on the quota. It’s why Willie Mason was chasing a Tongan passport when he was at Hull KR. 

rldfsignature.jpg

9 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I’m not au fait with visas but after ten years here why doesn’t he have an English passport/citizenship

I'll go out on a limb and say it's because PNG rugby league players aren't so swimming in cash and time that they can afford that process when there's been a club willing to sort out the visa for him to stay another way. I'll also go further out and suggest that a PNG rugby league player advised by an often cash strapped rugby league club probably haven't really been aware of his options and what he needs to do once his playing days wind down.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

I thought PNG players came under the Kolpak agreement so didn’t count on the quota. It’s why Willie Mason was chasing a Tongan passport when he was at Hull KR. 

PNG isn't a Kolpak country. Menzie missed about 10 games at the start of 2018 due to problems getting the visa. The government's "hostile environment" at work - simply slow down the process and nit-pick enough to put people off or force them home.

It occured to me that the Bosman and Kolpak rulings may not apply after 31 March next year.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

15 hours ago, dboy said:

I don' think it's that. He hasn't been offered a contract probably because Mark Aston doesn't think he can play full games due to his age. There were rumours about him being offered a lower deal for perhaps playing second row but they were murmurings amongst supporters.

The money he needs is to allow him, wife and 2 children to stay in the UK. Once he has this he can apply for jobs outside Rugby League so could make a living even if he's not playing.

9 hours ago, tim2 said:

PNG isn't a Kolpak country. Menzie missed about 10 games at the start of 2018 due to problems getting the visa. The government's "hostile environment" at work - simply slow down the process and nit-pick enough to put people off or force them home.

It occured to me that the Bosman and Kolpak rulings may not apply after 31 March next year.

Wasn’t Minga denied a visa this year when Fev tried to sign him because he hadn’t played enough games as a % of the season ? I think they have to play in at least 70% of their club’s games to qualify. This might be a similar case.

I’m not prejudiced, I hate everybody equally

The people of Sheffield voted for Brexit, it's their fault.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

On 11/3/2018 at 4:39 AM, Derwent said:

Wasn’t Minga denied a visa this year when Fev tried to sign him because he hadn’t played enough games as a % of the season ? I think they have to play in at least 70% of their club’s games to qualify. This might be a similar case.

Can someone elaborate?

1 hour ago, Rupert Prince said:

Are PNG in the EU?

Are you treating my post seriously ? 

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived