Sign in to follow this  
Cumbria1

New NCL Teams

I have heard we could have another Cumbrian NCL team joining as Hensingham are just awaiting on votes now to join.

It would be great if they do get to join. Anyone know whoelse is set to join 

Good news about Hensingham, who have probably outgrown their county-based comp, though it will leave the Cumberland League very short of clubs.

Walney have applied and I was told the other day that Distington have as well. 

May as well just let everyone in now 

Trevor Hunt said in last weeks League Express that ten clubs were showing an interest in applying to join the NCL. On the downside, four or five clubs were considering quitting with one club facing financial problems. He did say they will be talking to these clubs to try and get a solution. 

Just out of interest,what arethe facilities like at these clubs.Generally speaking,most amateur clubs need to do what they can to improve facilities.Not sure what might be available in terms of grants,loans,Sports England,lottery RFL etc.To retain players,sponsors,spectators clubs need to offer what they can in terms of clubhouse,pitches,floodlights,parking etc.

12 hours ago, shawy13 said:

Walney have applied and I was told the other day that Distington have as well. 

May as well just let everyone in now 

Distington have been turned down according to the news papers. As has been said Hensingham's season fell to pieces with a run of bad results followed by forfeiting games including a cup semi final I think and Walney were reluctant to travel as part of the cumbria mens league set up

• Like 1

Fantastic news more clubs coming to the NCL,the more the merrier. Shame about one club suffering financially as alluded to by a previous poster. Money does seem to be an issue throughout rugby league unfortunately.

21 hours ago, cookey said:

Just out of interest,what are the facilities like at these clubs.Generally speaking,most amateur clubs need to do what they can to improve facilities.Not sure what might be available in terms of grants,loans,Sports England,lottery RFL etc.To retain players,sponsors,spectators clubs need to offer what they can in terms of clubhouse,pitches,floodlights,parking etc.

Only been to Distington. They've got a decent clubhouse close to the pitch and changing rooms right next to it. On the downside, there's very little hardstanding, a small amount of cover and no floodlights. Which makes it better than some NCL set-ups! The (very wet) day I went, for a Challenge Cup tie last season, the pitch didn't look great.

Edited by Hopping Mad

2 hours ago, Thegunns said:

Heworth were looking at putting in an application.

Be good to get Heworth (founder members?) back in the NCL. Not many ARL clubs can match their facilities.

Edited by Hopping Mad

16 hours ago, Celtic Rooster said:

Some of them don't want it published that they have applied until they know if they have been accepted or not. I have no idea why?

Rejection hurts. Especially when it's made public!

Edited by Hopping Mad

Speaking to one of the junior coaches and he said 8 teams applied ( not sure how accurate this info is) 

Gloucester 
Nottingham 
Batley Boys
East Hull
Heworth
Queensbury
Walney
Hensingham

Although with them setting up a Southern League I’d expect Gloucester and Nottingham to apply there now instead.