Sign in to follow this  
Total Rugby League

Schofield: Let’s now bring on Australia

11 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Until England beats Australia then Australia has the bragging rights, and justly so.  If and when England beats them, then they can play their control cards....I know many of you know this already but Australia hates losing to England in anything...old grudges and all that.

You can't beat a team that's running scared..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Even if you believe the Aussies are still the best and that their defeat to the Kiwis was a blip, then they don’t deserve to be ranked number one if they can’t be bothered to play many games.

That quote has a lot of merit actually.

It wouldn't be a bad way to go if teams started losing considerable rankings points in years they don't play many games. If a team plays less than 4 games in a calendar they lose x amount of points per game.

14 hours ago, Total Rugby League said:

Congratulations to England on wrapping up the Test series with New Zealand with a match to spare. They were superb on Sunday and I have no doubts they will win the third Test as well, to complete the whitewash. The bigger picture for me is that the game has to get a grip of the international scene and come up…

The post Schofield: Let’s now bring on Australia appeared first on Total Rugby League.

View the full article

Mission accomplished by Schoey. The Aussies have taken the bait and are in meltdown.

The online Aussie newpapers i have seen have given Schoey comments plenty of column inches

Edited by The Future is League
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

We’re really making it if Phillip Schofield is now calling out the Aussies on our behalf!

Ah...

Hopefully Edd the Duck will be joining in too and sticking it to the Aussies.

Sorry, showing my age there, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who remembers Edd.

11 hours ago, Tommygilf said:

I want to go see big games where there's been big talk all week about it. I want to have a genuine rivalry outside of the purely sporting. Its not always got to be about whats on the pitch. Behind the scenes keeping it respectful and businesslike is essential, but how much would it ramp up the temperature if in the post match interview at Elland Road Captain James Graham after thanking the Kiwis called out the Aussies. If you think its vulgar boxing chat, having attended the past few AJ fights I can tell you, there's nothing wrong with it. Our sport needs headlines, lets make them.

The problem is that it can sometimes descend into something much less than friendly banter. Boxing really isn't a good example of what we should be aiming for, in my opinion.

Some of the things that have been said by boxers pre-fight are utterly pathetic and disgusting. Not forgetting the pre-fight press conferences where they end up scuffling.

Those aren't the sorts of headlines the sport needs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

Mission accomplished by Schoey. The Aussies have taken the bait and are in meltdown.

The online Aussie newspapers i have seen have given Schoey comments plenty of column inches

Not really affecting the Aussie Squad they will be on their jollies still and all it's done is give them Pom p taking rights during the season to come, starting with the WCC!

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

Not really affecting the Aussie Squad they will be on their jollies still and all it's done is give them Pom p taking rights during the season to come, starting with the WCC!

It has the fans

6 hours ago, The Future is League said:

The online Aussie newpapers i have seen have given Schoey comments plenty of column inches

To be fair it's all a bit too easy to bait their manhoods and egos.

What I'd love to see right now, and I loved having the Kiwis, is Tonga!

Mind you I'd also like to see Hearn take charge of selling the event!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

The problem is that it can sometimes descend into something much less than friendly banter. Boxing really isn't a good example of what we should be aiming for, in my opinion.

Some of the things that have been said by boxers pre-fight are utterly pathetic and disgusting. Not forgetting the pre-fight press conferences where they end up scuffling.

But how many of those “scuffles” are real and how many are stage managed? Cassius Clay/Muhammad Ali knew the power of controversy and opponent baiting half a century ago. I’m sure nowadays more often than not both fighters are complicit in the press conference/weigh on shenanigans.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

You’re Italian Woody. It’s got nothing to do with you. 

Italian but England supporter 😁

6 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

If any needle is required to make the hairs on the back of the player's, coaches, sponser's and fans neck stand up, show them a video of the 1985 3rd test at Leeds, GB v NZ, not for the faint hearted, probably the hardest and cruelest RL game I have ever witnessed in near 60 years, with todays rules applied in that game it would have provably ended up 2 or 3 a side.

I will not do a spoiler and give the result away if any one can find it and post a link (someone please try, I have looked but to no avail), I had a VCR copy which I lent out about 15 years ago, it got passed about never to return.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, deluded pom? said:

Then look forwards not backwards.

Being an England supporter doesn't mean losing touch wiith reality.

I just can't see the Australians fearing England. They haven't lost to GB/England since 2006 (?), they've beaten England twice last year, changed a lot of players and still lost only by 2pts v the Kiwis, then beat Tonga. Origin proved they have in Tedesco a top class fullback. 

The idea of the Kangaroos scared of anyone is ridiculous, imho. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MatthewWoody said:

The idea of the Kangaroos scared of anyone is ridiculous, imho

I do hope it whet's the Aussie's appetite to stage a 3 match series I would love to attend it, but not holding mutch hope.

Rimmer in his interview after the first test the other week said details of the GB Tour have been all but finalised and will be published by December, can't help but think that all parties concerned have cocked up on this one.

I will look at the itinerary that is to be delivered, if it appeals me and her indoors will go, but my real preferance would have been a three match test series v The Kangaroo's with midweek games against whoever, that would be a proper tour, did it '92 and was all set to go round again in '96 but for the daft Summer Rugby to be brought in, which cancelled it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

But how many of those “scuffles” are real and how many are stage managed? Cassius Clay/Muhammad Ali knew the power of controversy and opponent baiting half a century ago. I’m sure nowadays more often than not both fighters are complicit in the press conference/weigh on shenanigans.

I'm sure you're right that some of it is stage managed. I still think a lot of it is completely unnecessary and undignified. I've been a fan of boxing since I watched Frank Bruno vs Tim Witherspoon with my grandad back in the mid-1980's, but I still hate seeing scuffling in press conference, or boxers making disgusting comments. Even today on BBC website, you have Deontay Wilder saying that he "feels like a killer" in the lead up to his fight with Tyson Fury. I'm sorry, but I don't want to hear that. This is a sport. A killer is someone that kills people. They leave people dead, with grieving relatives. Is he trying to imply that his intention is to go out and kill Tyson Fury? It's pathetic. If you feel the need to say something, why not say that you feel like a champion. That you feel invincible. That you won't and can't be beaten. That you're confident of success. Just don't cross the line. I would hope that the boxing authorities will start to get a grip of this sorts of nonsense.

I'm ok with rugby league engaging in a bit of low level stage managed banter - I'd hope that behind the scenes Schofield would be on the phone to Mal and having a good old chat and a laugh about things, and making it clear that what he's said or is going to say, is just to help the sport get a few headlines. But you've got to be careful that these things don't get silly, especially in an area of players etc. using social media. All it would take is for someone to get carried away and make a stupid statement on Twitter, and the press would be all over it.

2 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

I'm sure you're right that some of it is stage managed. I still think a lot of it is completely unnecessary and undignified. I've been a fan of boxing since I watched Frank Bruno vs Tim Witherspoon with my grandad back in the mid-1980's, but I still hate seeing scuffling in press conference, or boxers making disgusting comments. Even today on BBC website, you have Deontay Wilder saying that he "feels like a killer" in the lead up to his fight with Tyson Fury. I'm sorry, but I don't want to hear that. This is a sport. A killer is someone that kills people. They leave people dead, with grieving relatives. Is he trying to imply that his intention is to go out and kill Tyson Fury? It's pathetic. If you feel the need to say something, why not say that you feel like a champion. That you feel invincible. That you won't and can't be beaten. That you're confident of success. Just don't cross the line. I would hope that the boxing authorities will start to get a grip of this sorts of nonsense.

I'm ok with rugby league engaging in a bit of low level stage managed banter - I'd hope that behind the scenes Schofield would be on the phone to Mal and having a good old chat and a laugh about things, and making it clear that what he's said or is going to say, is just to help the sport get a few headlines. But you've got to be careful that these things don't get silly, especially in an area of players etc. using social media. All it would take is for someone to get carried away and make a stupid statement on Twitter, and the press would be all over it.

Agree with that . A lot of pre boxing antics seem overdone to sell tickets . Wilder and Fury have been all matey behind the scenes , then the acts come on when required . Although wilder can barely come out with anything beyond destroy... kill .... knock out blah blah . I agree about language in a sport like that to , and there’s to much of it now . I want a body on my record , kill or be killed . Disgusting in a sport where the tragic can happen .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

If any needle is required to make the hairs on the back of the player's, coaches, sponser's and fans neck stand up, show them a video of the 1985 3rd test at Leeds, GB v NZ, not for the faint hearted, probably the hardest and cruelest RL game I have ever witnessed in near 60 years, with todays rules applied in that game it would have provably ended up 2 or 3 a side.

I will not do a spoiler and give the result away if any one can find it and post a link (someone please try, I have looked but to no avail), I had a VCR copy which I lent out about 15 years ago, it got passed about never to return.

When I was a kid first playing the game in the late sixties they used to say tackle low they can't run without legs.Those kiwi teams of the early eighties had the philosophy that they can't run without a  head.Australia also had some brutal encounters against kiwi teams of that vintage,

I am ALL FOR winding opponents up a bit, so long as it’s in good humour and not nasty (which this isn’t). 

Bored to death of the “one game at a time” style sound bites that are all too prevalent.

• Like 2

Schofield will be on Mark Geyer's radio show tomorrow arvo in Sydney, its the highest rating show in Sydney in its time slot 6-7pm. If he keeps this up we'll get 80k to ANZ for a test next year.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2