Sign in to follow this  
Wakefield Ram

Dewsbury players in the Wars

11 hours ago, Wakefield Ram said:

I guess there were Dewsbury players who fought in the two World Wars. Anyone know?

Patrick o,Neil

is only one I know , but this is a Question for Dewsbury RLFC Heritage 

Interestingly the history of the club by Scargill/Fox/Crabtree mentions 27 players who enlisted in 1914/5 season but only one is mentioned by name, Lance Todd (yea the very same who the CC man of the match is named after)- signed for us in 1914 from Wigan for £400. I can’t be sure but Vic Hey May have also served in WW2? Again, if we count Eddie Waring’s wartime wheeler dealering you can count Roy Francis and Gus Risman as well as serving DRLFC staff. I am not sure about serving players who paid the ultimate sacrifice but the time is ripe for such research I think.

With respect, before I actually read the content of the post, I was about to say 'what, already!!. Respect to your fallen players.

The excellent Roberts’ book “The Greatest Sacrifice” confirms Patrick O’Neill (ex-Leigh as well) as one Dewsbury player killed but there is also mention of a chap called Alfred Gildea (KOYLI) killed at the Somme aged 34. He was a resident of Westtown and of Irish descent so probably also turned out for Dews Celtic. I realise a lot of archive stuff was lost in the accursed fire in 1988 but as B.B. says perhaps the club knows more or could mark the players’ bravery somehow?

• Like 1

I know Blind Side johnny fought in the 

Crimean war, and was too old to fight in world war 1

:)

• Haha 1