was rugby league ever patented?

if not it should have been, just put a bit of the Scotland v fiji ru game on today and seems everything from sin bins to blood bins has been copied to make the inferior code more attractive, take away the line outs and rucks and they will have stolen our whole game over the past 20 years.

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

9 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

if not it should have been, just put a bit of the Scotland v fiji ru game on today and seems everything from sin bins to blood bins has been copied to make the inferior code more attractive, take away the line outs and rucks and they will have stolen our whole game over the past 20 years.

I don't know about game procedures, but RU always seems to be keen on trademarking the use of certain words. The RFU has registered 'England Rugby' and the RFU Rose, which they use on their Sky Sports advertising. They've even registered 'England Rugby Hospitality'. 

I'd like to think that the RFL has a level of expertise in this area, but who knows?

4 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Did we create a whole new game in 1895?

No, just a governing body.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

3 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

When RU started their WC they called it the Rugby World Cup which was already being used by RL who did nothing about it

Ditto with .rugby domains, WR(U) now own the .rugby domain because nobody contested it, which would have dragged it to a tribunal, who probably would have ruled one joint ownership.

23 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

When RU started their WC they called it the Rugby World Cup which was already being used by RL who did nothing about it

We called it the World Championship.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

2 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

You know what Padge, I would start using that again.

2021 Rugby League World Championship.

Sounds better than the World Cup for a start and is a great differentiator. 

Cups are usually straight knockouts

Championships are played in groups, it makes sense.

3 hours ago, Padge said:

Championships are played in groups, it makes sense.

The football, rugby union, and cricket world cups, are not straight knockouts.

The world snooker championship, Wimbledon tennis championship, Professional Darts world championship, aren't played in groups.

Personally, I'd stick with calling it the Rugby League World Cup.

10 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

The football, rugby union, and cricket world cups, are not straight knockouts.

The world snooker championship, Wimbledon tennis championship, Professional Darts world championship, aren't played in groups.

Personally, I'd stick with calling it the Rugby League World Cup.

That was my bloody point. ?

Your second group are not team sports.

5 hours ago, Padge said:

That was my bloody point. ?

Your second group are not team sports.

Your point (or at least one of them) was that cups are usually straight knockouts.

19 hours ago, Padge said:

All I did was point out that some of the most famous cups - football world cup, rugby union world cup, etc. are NOT straight knockouts. So, even if throughout all sports what you say is true - and I haven't researched it to find out if it is or not - it doesn't really matter, because people are perfectly used to a cup having group stages. Therefore, in my opinion, there is absolutely no reason why the rugby league world cup shouldn't continue using that name.

10 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Your point (or at least one of them) was that cups are usually straight knockouts.

All I did was point out that some of the most famous cups - football world cup, rugby union world cup, etc. are NOT straight knockouts. So, even if throughout all sports what you say is true - and I haven't researched it to find out if it is or not - it doesn't really matter, because people are perfectly used to a cup having group stages. Therefore, in my opinion, there is absolutely no reason why the rugby league world cup shouldn't continue using that name.

Did you miss the word usually.

I am saying we got it right by calling it a championship originally.

6 minutes ago, Padge said:

Did you miss the word usually.

I am saying we got it right by calling it a championship originally.

No, I didn't miss it at all. I said that personally I haven't researched every sport and every competition, in order to know whether it's USUAL for a cup to be a knockout. Presumably you have done that research, because you confidently made the statement that they are. I'm neither agreeing or disagreeing with you about it, because I don't know whether you're right or not. As I say, I haven't done the research myself.

What I did was give you some high profile examples of cups that aren't knockouts, in order to try and illustrate that it really doesn't matter whether something is called a cup or a championship. Nobody is going to look at the rugby league world cup and think "this isn't a proper cup - it should be a championship. Cups are straight knockouts." That just isn't going to happen, so why worry either way?

1 hour ago, 17 stone giant said:

No, I didn't miss it at all. I said that personally I haven't researched every sport and every competition, in order to know whether it's USUAL for a cup to be a knockout. Presumably you have done that research, because you confidently made the statement that they are. I'm neither agreeing or disagreeing with you about it, because I don't know whether you're right or not. As I say, I haven't done the research myself.

What I did was give you some high profile examples of cups that aren't knockouts, in order to try and illustrate that it really doesn't matter whether something is called a cup or a championship. Nobody is going to look at the rugby league world cup and think "this isn't a proper cup - it should be a championship. Cups are straight knockouts." That just isn't going to happen, so why worry either way?

image.png.e8cb63fa5b7a81dae52504b03ad55a0d.pngimage.png.1d00e02c3384da0cc3068206610c47bb.png

image.png

On 11/10/2018 at 6:11 PM, graveyard johnny said:

everything from sin bins to blood bins has been copied to make the inferior code more attractive

I love a good blood bin me, it's what got me into RL 

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 hour ago, dhw said:

Are you sure about this?

We used "Rugby Legue World Cup" and the oficial title of the first one was "Rugby League World Championship", this followed what soccer had called their world cup.

You play in the World Championship to be awarded the World Cup.

It's semantics, but if you went to a court/tribunal these things would be taken into account.

Archived