Sign in to follow this  
welshmagpie

RLIF Announce 8 year Cycle

It seems like England are getting shafted.Seems to be a lot of emphasis on the Oceanic Cup and upto England to try and engineer a meaningful European Championship,

More Wednesday nights in Leigh then to transform us.

• Like 1

What’s the sudden fascination with 9’s Rugby League then? I just don’t get it. Is there even an appetite for it? What’s the purpose of it? What’s the aims for Rugby League by introducing a 9’s tournament? 

We’ve got two major leagues in Rugby League, one highly profitable and the other a bit of a joke that changes its structure on a three year cycle that seems to be bipolar by turning away from one thing and then a few years later adopting again, expecting different results. 

We’ve got an International game that is fractured, disorganised and is marred by a class system, with some countries not recognising others. We can’t even put an International calendar together without someone being against it. 

Throwing in an additional competition in a largely alien format just seems ill thought out at this time. 

I’d argue that we need to work out what’s more important to the game of Rugby League in both hemispheres, whether it’s having two strong domestic competitions or whether it’s International Rugby League and what’s more important to growing the game. Or whether there’s a crossover and strong domestic leagues equate to stronger International Rugby League and vice versa. 

Unlike Union this sport does not desperately need an innovative and exciting form of the game, as this sport is an innovative and exciting form of that complex, scruffy and frankly boring game.....

So its a no from me.....regarding nines would cup, although I'll probably end up watching it anyway. 

Edited by Smudger06
Nines

Also, a tour to New Zealand, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji AND PNG?! Five countries?! How’s that even going to work? 

There’s surely too many countries and subsequently, nations, to be playing in a short period given the length of seasons in Super League. It seems a logistical nightmare. 

10 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Also, a tour to New Zealand, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji AND PNG?! Five countries?! How’s that even going to work? 

There’s surely too many countries and subsequently, nations, to be playing in a short period given the length of seasons in Super League. It seems a logistical nightmare. 

Plus it will cost an absolute fortune. Anyone remember the last effort in 1996 when they had to fly half the squad home early? 😕 

53 minutes ago, B rad said:

http://rlif.com/article/8527/

The Rugby League International Federation Board has approved in principle a rolling calendar of matches for the next eight years. The calendar will see a mix of world events, regional events and bilateral tours starting in 2019. The meeting was held as a part of the RLIF  Congress in York.

A highlight of the 2019 plan is the creation of the Oceania Cup featuring Australia, New Zealand and Tonga in one group and Samoa, Fiji and Papua New Guinea in the other group. The nations also agreed that the Great Britain Rugby League Lions will visit the Southern Hemisphere to face New Zealand, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and Papua New Guinea subject to consultation with the major playing leagues and the players’ representatives.

There are ongoing discussions to ensure that the programme for the women’s game and for wheelchair rugby league are advanced at a similar rate to the men’s game.

The Board has also approved financial support for the Americas Championship and  a new competition for nations in the Middle East and Africa, the MEA Championship. RLIF investment will be annual, commencing in 2019, underlining the strategic significance of and recent growth in these territories.

Australia will host the inaugural RLIF Nines World Cup in 2019 which will see teams from across the world gather to compete in this innovative and exciting form of the game. This will feature both men’s and women’s competitions.

The programme will be punctuated every four years with the World Cup and will include the repeat of the Oceania Cup in 2020 and 2022 which will mirror the European Championship in the Northern Hemisphere. With space created for the bilateral arrangement of games and tours by the individual member nations.

Chief Executive Nigel Wood has welcomed the outcome saying: 

“The whole international rugby league world has looked to us to complete this important piece of work. The discussions this week have been extremely collaborative and positive. 

“This is a complex process and if we can put all the pieces of the jig-saw into place we will have a very exciting programme.”

“There is some further consultation to be undertaken with leagues and playing groups together with some important commercial evaluations before we could make final announcements, however we are confident that we can complete these discussions before Christmas.”

New Zealand Rugby League CEO Greg Peters said:

“We are delighted to have the support of the RLIF and member nations for a significant calendar of rugby league events in New Zealand. This will be the first time in the history of the sport that this number of international games has been hosted in New Zealand. We still have work to do, however, but we are very encouraged by the commitment of all parties to work towards making this a reality.”

Sandis Tsaka, President of Papua New Guinea Rugby Football League, said: “It’s a great boost for us in Papua New Guinea to have a reliable calendar of games that we can promote to our fans, players and stakeholders.” 

Todd Greenberg, CEO of the Australian Rugby League Commission, welcomed the collaboration shown in the discussions: “It was refreshing to see the way in which we were all able to work together, particularly the Pacific nations, to deliver the framework for this calendar.” 

Ralph Rimmer, CEO of the Rugby Football League, was pleased with the opportunities provided by the calendar: “These are exciting times for the sport in general and particularly the chance we have to both take a Great Britain team to the Southern Hemisphere next year and then welcome the Kangaroos in 2020. There is still some discussion to complete on 2019 but everything looks to be moving in a positive direction.”

RLIF Southern Hemisphere General Manager Jeremy Edwards said: “This programme will give us all a framework that we can work with. The Oceania Cup gives the Pacific nations the ideal platform to continue the immense progress that they have made over the past few years."

That's not a strategy. 

53 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Plus it will cost an absolute fortune. Anyone remember the last effort in 1996 when they had to fly half the squad home early? 😕 

I made that point on another thread. The tour they're suggesting is going to cost a fortune, and what income will be generated? Crowds in NZ are always poor (a couple of recent Tongan games excepted) which is why NZ play so rarely at home, so that won't raise anything. Going to PNG? It's a third world nation, despite its love for RL, so no money there. Similar for the other pacific nations.

And all of this while the main focus of attention in the region is the Oceania Cup? This GB tour is going to lose a heap of cash.

To add to that, England now look likely to go 2 years without a game. Meanwhile, Scotland and either Wales or Ireland are gong to play RLWC qualifiers next year without their best players. And are Ireland even part of this tour? Will their players be forced to sing GSTQ? Are the dual nationals available for selection? I'm sure there will be universal delight when Euan Aitken and Lachlan Coote run onto the field wearing a GB shirt. And, perhaps most importantly of all, is there really any demand to see the return of GB? To what end? What is the aim of this? What benefit is there in mothballing England for 2 years? None of these have been addressed. And all for a tour that's going to lose money!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

No way they'll visit those countries. I'd bet all games aside from PNG (maybe) will be played in Australia or NZ.

Feel pretty underwhelmed with this calendar. Though wasn't expecting much.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

That's not a strategy. 

It isn’t set out as a strategy. It is a list of key events. We have 4 yearly Kangaroo tours, 4 yearly world cups, and meaningful competitions for the 6 major Pacific nations. You might even call it an international calendar. A lot of the other questions on here about World Cup qualifying can be answered by a bit of research,  and will continue to happen. 

I can understand cynicism about whether it might change, which I do not share in this instance, but it is a calendar, which is what people wanted. As for 9s and GB I share others’ views that I could live without them. 

2 hours ago, Scubby said:

But do we know who is paying? Isn’t it the NRL’s interest too...

2 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

I'm sure Tonga and Samoa games will be played in NZ leaving trips to Fiji and PNG

1 hour ago, nadera78 said:

I made that point on another thread. The tour they're suggesting is going to cost a fortune, and what income will be generated? Crowds in NZ are always poor (a couple of recent Tongan games excepted) which is why NZ play so rarely at home, so that won't raise anything. Going to PNG? It's a third world nation, despite its love for RL, so no money there. Similar for the other pacific nations.

And all of this while the main focus of attention in the region is the Oceania Cup? This GB tour is going to lose a heap of cash.

To add to that, England now look likely to go 2 years without a game. Meanwhile, Scotland and either Wales or Ireland are gong to play RLWC qualifiers next year without their best players. And are Ireland even part of this tour? Will their players be forced to sing GSTQ? Are the dual nationals available for selection? I'm sure there will be universal delight when Euan Aitken and Lachlan Coote run onto the field wearing a GB shirt. And, perhaps most importantly of all, is there really any demand to see the return of GB? To what end? What is the aim of this? What benefit is there in mothballing England for 2 years? None of these have been addressed. And all for a tour that's going to lose money!

You'll get full houses easy for Tonga and Samoa and probably 15k for NZ. There will be a full house at Port Moresby and probably decent government funding/sponsorship.

I have no doubt that Aussies and Kiwis will not embrace  a Great Britain concept. 

It makes no sense at all.

The Nines series that has been played in Auckland for the last few years has been dying off, why would you persevere  with it?

You wonder why the game is in trouble, look at who is managing it

If I had to rate Peter Beattie out of 10  he would would be 0

Edited by Allora

24 minutes ago, Mattrhino said:

You'll get full houses easy for Tonga and Samoa and probably 15k for NZ. There will be a full house at Port Moresby and probably decent government funding/sponsorship.

Tonga I mentioned earlier as selling well in recent games. But their recent test v Australia only went ahead because the Kangaroos forfeited 3/4 of their salaries. That's how much money the game made!

Where and when have Samoa ever had a full house?

Why do you think NZ play the vast majority of their fixtures on foreign shores? They attracted 12,000 people for a RLWC 1/4 final last season.

PNG turned up at a 4 Nations competition with only 22 players instead of the standard 24 because they needed to spend that money on off-field staff. That's some mighty fine government funding / sponsorship.

Fiji haven't played a home international since....?  Attendances at their games in Australia/NZ average below 10,000. Way below 10,000.

Just think about the costs involved in a 5 week tour for 40 players and staff. Compare that with the likely attendances and commercial income for a tour that clashes with the Oceania Cup. And then tell me how this tour can possibly break even.

Edited by nadera78
  • Like 3

Did I read somewhere that the 9's World Cup will be in February 2019?

Also, is the England 9's team likely to consist of players from the full England team - McGillvary, Burgess etc. - or is it a bit like with the rugby union 7's in that it's likely to be a different set of players? I intend to watch some of it as I've never seen 9's before, but I just wondered whether I'm likely to know any of the players that are taking part.

This is what happens when morons like beattie are having there day. The pipedream of a full pacific who funds teams like fiji who have no money. 

When was the last time the euro champs where not a cake walk with england involved 30 years ago, france has not beaten a full strength england since 1991 and wales mid 90s. Its a non contest. My guess exiles will come out. 

6 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

What’s the sudden fascination with 9’s Rugby League then? I just don’t get it. Is there even an appetite for it? What’s the purpose of it? What’s the aims for Rugby League by introducing a 9’s tournament? 

I think nines is an area where they can see growth. It is easier to get other nations involved and ultimately push on into the Commonwealth Games and ultimately the Olympics. 

• Like 1

I doubt superleague will agree to a 7 game test tour but we will see. Here my take on internationals anyway 

Mid season - nz v tonga(oceania cup) , fiji v samoa(ocenia cup). 

End of season Gb tour - kiwis (3 tests in nz) tour games png, tonga, samoa, fiji.

Oceania cup end of season - Australia v nz, tonga v Australia, png v fiji, png v samoa. 

Guessing the french be trying to get mid season test v england at home not sure outside that for them.

6 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Did I read somewhere that the 9's World Cup will be in February 2019?

It would have to be or else it'll be at the end of the season when the GB tour and Oceania Cup are taking place.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rlno1 said:

I think nines is an area where they can see growth. It is easier to get other nations involved and ultimately push on into the Commonwealth Games and ultimately the Olympics. 

I agree with this - it should be a vehicle for small or new nations to compete against established RL nations but as the principle way to get representation at those Games you’ve mentioned.

Is this the 2nd RLIF event in the calendar? Won’t make any money... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, winnyason said:

End of season Gb tour - kiwis (3 tests in nz) tour games png, tonga,samoa

The GB tour won't feature 3 tests v NZ..

It's 1 test v nz then tests v Tonga,Samoa etc 

" And heaven knows I'm miserable now ....."

Now we've been asking for an international calendar and we're not happy when we get one!

This may look wrong to everyone, on the face of it, but it is probably a compromise or attempt to find a route (detour) around all the obstacles put in the way by the various bodies involved.

Between the lack of funds at one end and recalcitrance at the other the room for maneuvering is wafer thin but, by all means, don't let that stop you.

At the center of all this is the richest RL nation on the planet so if you're looking for something more interesting and sensible f- f- f - forget about it!

" And heaven knows I'm miserable now ....."

• Like 1

I'm happy with most of it. 

GBs back so I suppose we should accept it.

I still think they should play a combined Pacific Islands side though as well as NZ.

They should then play some fringe players in the games against Tonga, Samoa etc so everyone can stake a claim

There’s no particular appetite from the fans for either GB or a 9s WC from what I can see. It wouldn’t surprise me if they combine them both and have GB competing in the 9s. Who wins the Oceania Cup? Does it consist of two leagues with one above the other or are they equal? If equal will there be a final? If one over the other will there be movement between the two groups?

• Like 1