Sign in to follow this  
welshmagpie

RLIF Announce 8 year Cycle

7 minutes ago, Oxford said:

" And heaven knows I'm miserable now ....."

Now we've been asking for an international calendar and we're not happy when we get one!

This may look wrong to everyone, on the face of it, but it is probably a compromise or attempt to find a route (detour) around all the obstacles put in the way by the various bodies involved.

Between the lack of funds at one end and recalcitrance at the other the room for maneuvering is wafer thin but, by all means, don't let that stop you.

At the center of all this is the richest RL nation on the planet so if you're looking for something more interesting and sensible f- f- f - forget about it!

" And heaven knows I'm miserable now ....."

I’m sure many would like Ashes tours home and away every two years but the rugby league world is changing.

There is a plan here and that is a tacit ambition to become the dominant code in the Pacific by leveraging the muscle of the NRL to provide regular meaningful comps. 

• Like 2

Just now, Man of Kent said:

There is a plan here and that is a tacit ambition to become the dominant code in the Pacific by leveraging the muscle of the NRL to provide regular meaningful comps. 

Agreed, so don't be afraid to shout it out!

10 hours ago, nadera78 said:

I made that point on another thread. The tour they're suggesting is going to cost a fortune, and what income will be generated? Crowds in NZ are always poor (a couple of recent Tongan games excepted) which is why NZ play so rarely at home, so that won't raise anything. Going to PNG? It's a third world nation, despite its love for RL, so no money there. Similar for the other pacific nations.

And all of this while the main focus of attention in the region is the Oceania Cup? This GB tour is going to lose a heap of cash.

To add to that, England now look likely to go 2 years without a game. Meanwhile, Scotland and either Wales or Ireland are gong to play RLWC qualifiers next year without their best players. And are Ireland even part of this tour? Will their players be forced to sing GSTQ? Are the dual nationals available for selection? I'm sure there will be universal delight when Euan Aitken and Lachlan Coote run onto the field wearing a GB shirt. And, perhaps most importantly of all, is there really any demand to see the return of GB? To what end? What is the aim of this? What benefit is there in mothballing England for 2 years? None of these have been addressed. And all for a tour that's going to lose money!

Why would Ireland be apart of the GB lions??? This would do nothing but damage the game further over here.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Keith989 said:

Why would Ireland be apart of the GB lions??? This would do nothing but damage the game further over here.

Because it was done previously Keith. I’m not advocating it, just pointing out that it’s been done before.

The only question I’d be asking is how many of these “8-year cycles” have actually happened 

Believe it when I see it

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Also, a tour to New Zealand, Samoa, Tonga, Fiji AND PNG?! Five countries?! How’s that even going to work? 

There’s surely too many countries and subsequently, nations, to be playing in a short period given the length of seasons in Super League. It seems a logistical nightmare. 

They’ll be getting a steam ship into which the players can shovel coal to keep themselves fit. They will be leaving the UK on 30th January 2019 just before the first SL game takes place and returning in time for the grand final in 2020. Or they could fly. 

41 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

What did Italy get out of it Woody?

Sod all, and that’s the depressing thing. The RLIF, Peter Beattie ala are all full on back slapping as they’ve all got along and come up with some half baked idea.

A proper rolling cycle should map out 4 years of games clearly for every nation including Italy, Japan, Cook Islands, France, Niue, Canada etc.

This does nothing except for the top 7 or so countries. 

-

If this had been done properly italy would be able to say as fans, players and administrators: “Ok a Euro Cup in Y1, a Federation Cup or WCQs in Y2&3 depending on our position, a World Cup in Y4 - that guarantees us at least 9-12 games in 3 years, let’s get marketing.

Edited by welshmagpie
  • Like 2

So the post-legacy of the 2021 World Cup, where we hope to attract 750,000 people (i.e. 70k at Old Trafford, 50k at Newcastle, 70k at Wembley) is some kind of 2022 European Championship at Carcassonne and Leigh SV?

• Like 2

Also a 9s World Cup is like 12 weeks away. Twelve weeks FFS (no format, no teams, no venue, no travelling fans). Why do we do it to ourselves?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Also a 9s World Cup is like 12 weeks away. Twelve weeks FFS (no format, no teams, no venue, no travelling fans). Why do we do it to ourselves?

Like I said to Peter Beattie on twitter all they had to do was speak to the fans and it would have been a lot better. They didn’t so that at all.

Sad.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Sod all, and that’s the depressing thing. The RLIF, Peter Beattie ala are all full on back slapping as they’ve all got along and come up with some half baked idea.

A proper rolling cycle should map out 4 years of games clearly for every nation including Italy, Japan, Cook Islands, France, Niue, Canada etc.

This does nothing except for the top 7 or so countries. 

-

If this had been done properly italy would be able to say as fans, players and administrators: “Ok a Euro Cup in Y1, a Federation Cup or WCQs in Y2&3 depending on our position, a World Cup in Y4 - that guarantees us at least 9-12 games in 3 years, let’s get marketing.

Yeah beattie a buffon. He does realise both samoa and fiji cannot host games nor afford to as there flat broke. I chipped him online i mean who ignores a country as france won challenge cup, under 16s euros and produce there own don't rely on heritage players much like tonga qho the next big thing

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Scubby said:

So the post-legacy of the 2021 World Cup, where we hope to attract 750,000 people (i.e. 70k at Old Trafford, 50k at Newcastle, 70k at Wembley) is some kind of 2022 European Championship at Carcassonne and Leigh SV?

Hopefully England won't be involved and will be playing a home test series against the Kiwis followed by a GB tour (including Aus)then a home test series against Australia like this 4 year cycle

22 minutes ago, Spidey said:

The only question I’d be asking is how many of these “8-year cycles” have actually happened 

Very broadly, the cycle that featured the 2008 and 2013 World Cups mostly happened. Apart from Great Britain because nobody wanted it and it would have been an abject and total failure.

Still, there are no lessons to be learnt there.

Edited by gingerjon

2 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Like I said to Peter Beattie on twitter all they had to do was speak to the fans and it would have been a lot better. They didn’t so that at all.

Sad.

They are scared what they might hear. I really don't know where the calling for GB has come from other than a few people on facebook and RL Fans. 

1 minute ago, JM2010 said:

Hopefully England won't be involved and will be playing a home test series against the Kiwis followed by a GB tour (including Aus)then a home test series against Australia like this 4 year cycle

Then what is the point of Oceana and European cup planning for 2022 that is supposed to involved all of these countries?

It's also planned for 2020 but the Aussies are coming here.

They've had the European Championships this year without England. Thought it would be the same again

13 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Whoopee doo. Another series against the Kiwis. There’s only so many times people will continually turn out to see England playing the same opponents ad infinitum. Why is there never a proposal for someone else other than the Big 3 to tour?

Edited by deluded pom?

19 minutes ago, Scubby said:

They are scared what they might hear. I really don't know where the calling for GB has come from other than a few people on facebook and RL Fans. 

Garry Schofield mainly?

4 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Whoopee doo. Another series against the Kiwis. There’s only so many times people will continually turn out to see England playing the same opponents ad infinitum. Why is there never a proposal for someone else other than the Big 3 to tour?

Not many people gone to watch this series vs NZ so theres a whole new audience out there somewhere for next time

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

Because it was done previously Keith. I’m not advocating it, just pointing out that it’s been done before.

I'm sorry if I'm over reacting but this is quite a farcical situation really. I'm sorry but that just shows that rugby league in Ireland is run by the English for the English. Seriously having Ireland apart of the GB lions is as random as having Italy apart of it.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Scubby said:

Is the timing of the Nines World Cup actually confirmed anywhere? Looked through countless articles and can't find anything concrete? 

I'm sorry if I'm over reacting but this is quite a farcical situation really. I'm sorry but that just shows that rugby league in Ireland is run by the English for the English. Seriously having Ireland apart of the GB lions is as random as having Italy apart of it.

Doesn’t seem to be an issue to that other code, so it’s not that random

However in RL’s case I doubt IRL, WRL or SRL have even been asked about it

16 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

It would only be once every 4 years though. The year after would be a GB tour hopefully involving Australia then a home series against Australia the following year with a WC the year after. 

That's actually only one test series against NZ

• Thanks 1

The original reason to include Ireland was so they could play a bona fide Irishman in the GB team (Brian Carney). That and I’m sure they think it makes us as big as the union version. Other Irish people have posted on here with similar comments to your own. We should maybe ask the Irish what they want before blundering blindly ahead without any thought.

• Like 4