Sign in to follow this  
welshmagpie

RLIF Announce 8 year Cycle

http://rlif.com/article/8527/?fbclid=IwAR0tXjiiNDiPfZLpw1eQ7kP_ZehdD-qIV5ZKADfD0ol5n1MflPzv5Q2owGQ

Trying my best to lay it out simply based on the article. 

It appears to go something like this:

2019:

GB tour of NZ, Tonga, Fiji, Samoa, PNG (subject to consultation).

Nines World Cup (Australia)

World Cup Qualifiers (World Group)

World Cup Qualifiers (Europe)

Oceania Cup

MEA Championship (hinted at in article)

Americas Championship (hinted at in article)

2020:

Australia tour of England

Oceania Cup

European Championship

2021: 

World Cup

2022:

Oceania Cup

European Championship

• Like 1

What a mish mash, waste of time.

• Like 2

Some good some bad. Disappointed that the RFL are still ignoring the majority of fans and pushing ahead with the flawed GB tour. The Oceania Cup is a no brainer but England are seriously in danger of being isolated and left without quality games if they don't do all they can to develop France and Wales into competitive nations.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Damien said:

Some good some bad. Disappointed that the RFL are still ignoring the majority of fans and pushing ahead with the flawed GB tour. The Oceania Cup is a no brainer but England are seriously in danger of being isolated and left without quality games if they don't do all they can to develop France and Wales into competitive nations.

I just raised the exact point to Peter Beattie on twitter his reply was a bit woooly saying:

”That’s being worked an as we speak,  stay tuned #nrl #rlifcongress2018”

10 minutes ago, Damien said:

Equally I imagine the Oceania Cup will be over 3 rounds. 1 mid season and two post - with the bye given to Aus or NZ at the end weekend so they can then play 3 games vs England, thus giving England the suitable annual competitikcompetition

Oh gosh, another 8 year cycle, I can't wait for the Aussies to step in with their new and improved 8 year cycle that starts 6 months later in four months time, again.

Edited by Chamey
  • Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Haha, another 8 year cycle is it?

9s! In Australia! Hahahahahahahahaha what a bloody waste of time!

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

http://rlif.com/article/8527/?fbclid=IwAR0tXjiiNDiPfZLpw1eQ7kP_ZehdD-qIV5ZKADfD0ol5n1MflPzv5Q2owGQ

Trying my best to lay it out simply based on the article. 

It appears to go something like this:

2019:

GB tour of NZ, Tonga, Fiji, Samoa, PNG (subject to consultation).

Nines World Cup (Australia)

World Cup Qualifiers (World Group)

World Cup Qualifiers (Europe)

Oceania Cup

MEA Championship (hinted at in article)

Americas Championship (hinted at in article)

2020:

Australia tour of England

Oceania Cup

European Championship

2021: 

World Cup

2022:

Oceania Cup

European Championship

An 8 year cycle ending in 2022, wow, this sport really is in trouble 😂 

• Haha 2

Just now, Sports Prophet said:

I imagine the cycle repeats mate. Then is reviewed and altered for another cycle post 2025 World Cup.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sports Prophet said:

Yep, I'm really looking forward to the 2015 World Cup

• Haha 1

Just now, welshmagpie said:

I imagine the cycle repeats mate. Then is reviewed and altered for another cycle post 2025 World Cup.

Well, we all know one thing in RL, nothing repeats for long

1 minute ago, Sports Prophet said:

You are talking bollards mate.

8 year cycles are an annual event. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Sports Prophet said:

Apart from Parksider of course.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

What's the strategy for tier 2 and 3 nations? This is all bolllocks which I'm sure will be revisited in the next year or two. 

Edited by The Daddy
  • Like 1

I don't see the point of GB touring the southern hemisphere and not playing the aussies. Much better to have it be called England and tour the Pacific as England. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

What's the strategy for tier 2 and 3 nations? This is all bolllocks which I'm sure will be revisited in the next year or two. 

http://rlif.com/article/8527/

The Rugby League International Federation Board has approved in principle a rolling calendar of matches for the next eight years. The calendar will see a mix of world events, regional events and bilateral tours starting in 2019. The meeting was held as a part of the RLIF  Congress in York.

A highlight of the 2019 plan is the creation of the Oceania Cup featuring Australia, New Zealand and Tonga in one group and Samoa, Fiji and Papua New Guinea in the other group. The nations also agreed that the Great Britain Rugby League Lions will visit the Southern Hemisphere to face New Zealand, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and Papua New Guinea subject to consultation with the major playing leagues and the players’ representatives.

There are ongoing discussions to ensure that the programme for the women’s game and for wheelchair rugby league are advanced at a similar rate to the men’s game.

The Board has also approved financial support for the Americas Championship and  a new competition for nations in the Middle East and Africa, the MEA Championship. RLIF investment will be annual, commencing in 2019, underlining the strategic significance of and recent growth in these territories.

Australia will host the inaugural RLIF Nines World Cup in 2019 which will see teams from across the world gather to compete in this innovative and exciting form of the game. This will feature both men’s and women’s competitions.

The programme will be punctuated every four years with the World Cup and will include the repeat of the Oceania Cup in 2020 and 2022 which will mirror the European Championship in the Northern Hemisphere. With space created for the bilateral arrangement of games and tours by the individual member nations.

Chief Executive Nigel Wood has welcomed the outcome saying: 

“The whole international rugby league world has looked to us to complete this important piece of work. The discussions this week have been extremely collaborative and positive. 

“This is a complex process and if we can put all the pieces of the jig-saw into place we will have a very exciting programme.”

“There is some further consultation to be undertaken with leagues and playing groups together with some important commercial evaluations before we could make final announcements, however we are confident that we can complete these discussions before Christmas.”

New Zealand Rugby League CEO Greg Peters said:

“We are delighted to have the support of the RLIF and member nations for a significant calendar of rugby league events in New Zealand. This will be the first time in the history of the sport that this number of international games has been hosted in New Zealand. We still have work to do, however, but we are very encouraged by the commitment of all parties to work towards making this a reality.”

Sandis Tsaka, President of Papua New Guinea Rugby Football League, said: “It’s a great boost for us in Papua New Guinea to have a reliable calendar of games that we can promote to our fans, players and stakeholders.” 

Todd Greenberg, CEO of the Australian Rugby League Commission, welcomed the collaboration shown in the discussions: “It was refreshing to see the way in which we were all able to work together, particularly the Pacific nations, to deliver the framework for this calendar.” 

Ralph Rimmer, CEO of the Rugby Football League, was pleased with the opportunities provided by the calendar: “These are exciting times for the sport in general and particularly the chance we have to both take a Great Britain team to the Southern Hemisphere next year and then welcome the Kangaroos in 2020. There is still some discussion to complete on 2019 but everything looks to be moving in a positive direction.”

RLIF Southern Hemisphere General Manager Jeremy Edwards said: “This programme will give us all a framework that we can work with. The Oceania Cup gives the Pacific nations the ideal platform to continue the immense progress that they have made over the past few years."

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

I don't see the point of GB touring the southern hemisphere and not playing the aussies. Much better to have it be called England and tour the Pacific as England. 

I agree but if they're playing as GB they should play a combined Pacific Islands side and NZ plus warm up games against individual Pacific Nations

The nations also agreed that the Great Britain Rugby League Lions will visit the Southern Hemisphere to face New Zealand, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and Papua New Guinea subject to consultation with the major playing leagues and the players’ representatives.

... which probably means it isn't going to happen given the usual NRL 'issues'

I think that's just confused me even more than I already was.....

So the Oceania Cup is gonna be yearly aside from world cup years and euros are gonna be held at same time? Definitely a good move, we do need these two tournaments. It does pee me off in our sport though when we are so inconsistent with staging tournaments. 3x 1 year gap, then a 2 year gap, then 3x 1 year and so on..... It just looks amateurish. It took us decades longer than other sports to realise we needed a consistent gap between world cups for Goodness sake! 

What is the world cup qualifiers world group? Is that the intercontinental playoff between Cook Islands, South Africa and americas runner up? If it is that then it would have to take place after the americas, and mea, championships wouldn't it so the American and mea sides can compete in both competitions? That would suggest a pretty long international window post season. 

As for the GB tour: No!!!! Bad RFL!!!!!! 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose

Seems ok for me. Everyone seems to be getting games. The NRL shouldn't be messing with it because Peter Beatie is one of the guys who helped organise it. GB tour next year play all the pacific nations and NZ, all the pacific nations and Australia play against each other. That's a massive improvement for Tonga, Samoa, PNG and Fiji. Will help them build their teams since they actually have a viable rep career. 

Kangaroos tour GB and France the year after, while the pacific and NZ play oceanic cup again. 

Funds going into America and middle easts and African tournaments. (assume that means Lebanon and South Africa) 

Not sure about the 9s. Sounds a bit too much.

Not sure what people are complaining about. GB is too soon in my opinion only because there isn't enough Welsh Scottish and Irish players who can make the team, unless they take heritage players. 

There is no structure there at all, just a bunch of stuff that happens anyway and then tier 1 nations doing whatever they want, which mostly seems to be fulfilling nostalgia fantasies of a very small niche group. If they can get Pacific and African nations playing regular meaningful matches then I guess that is something, whether or not it actually happens remains to be seen.

Where is the Intercontinental Cup? Why are the WCQs happening two years in advance? What are nations supposed to do in the years where there is no tournament listed for their region?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

... which probably means it isn't going to happen given the usual NRL 'issues'

Haha, I noted that particular sentence as well