Sign in to follow this  
welshmagpie

France, Wales, England all qualified, so...

Now is time to build some Northern Hemisphere rivalries and competition.

Next year, Wales and France are now technically fixtureless (though are probably working on arrangements as we speak).

Time for a well promoted mini-series before the supposed GB tour?

Edited by welshmagpie
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, welshmagpie said:

Now is time to build some Northern Hemisphere rivalries and competition.

Next year, Wales and France are now technically fixtureless (though are probably working on arrangements as we speak).

Time for a well promoted mini-series before the supposed GB tour?

Given GB are playing and England have no fixtures why not get England to play at home and away v Wales and France? 

Yes they will likely win them well however it at least gives players a run out and means that the fans get to see games 

Just pick those who don't make GB team.. Still good players. 

Edited by Southerner80
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Given how many first choice England players will be missing, it would have to be England Knights vs France, yes?

Leave England out so that Wales and France can play a 3-match series for a suitably-named trophy.  How good might that be?

Edited by Big Picture
  • Like 3

Nice to see the nations with proper RL roots qualifying rather than those dependent on heritage players 

• Like 4

This series has to happen next year. Call them England, to give it more prestige and more appeal for sponsors and TV. The Knights is a development side, whereas this side should be the best players available, with veterans like O'Loughlin included. In fact, schedule the final test of the series for Wigan and give him the send off he deserves. England RU plays full tests while GB tours, so why not? They need to play home internationals on the BBC every year.

• Like 9

8 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

This series has to happen next year. Call them England, to give it more prestige and more appeal for sponsors and TV. The Knights is a development side, whereas this side should be the best players available, with veterans like O'Loughlin included. In fact, schedule the final test of the series for Wigan and give him the send off he deserves. England RU plays full tests while GB tours, so why not? They need to play home internationals on the BBC every year.

You're correct that England rugby union play while the British and Irish Lions are on tour, but there's still quite a few 1st choice England players in that squad. I'm not sure that there would be any at all in this proposed England RL team.

With that in mind, I'm not sure that you can put out a second England 13 and then expect the BBC to show it.

England should play france, that's simple, it should happen every year.

If GB are going to tour SH and obviously taking a few welsh players, we should investigate whether we can take a few more and give wales a game or two where any SH based players could play, especially if they are sending a 9s team down anyway.

One thing that might be useful is if England are going to play the knights, then they should play rep sides from Wales and France rather than their national sides. So they could play a Welsh side with no heritage players, a france side without the Les Catalans players and have the England development squad playing the Welsh and French development squads so as not to devalue those test nations.

I would also try desperately to get a mid-season home test against someone else. I'm so disappointed that we havent had a chance to see the Tonga side in the flesh and are currently 3 years away from doing so.

I think a bit of a problem with the WC and the current view of it is that the Australians will help build momentum for it, but if we could get tests against Tonga, Fiji, Samoa on the BBC thats going to be nigh on 2m people who know who those teams are, who will get excited to see Vunivalu or Taumololo or Leilua are. People who will know what the Sipi Tau is, what the Siva Tau is, what Noqu Masu is.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Big Picture said:

Leave England out so that Wales and France can play a 3-match series for a suitably-named trophy.  How good might that be?

Wales Vs France 3 game Series would be a good idea, even a annual one off test match Wales Vs France would be good

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Evil Homer said:

I would put money on them being forced to play in a tri-series with England Knights.

Forced??

the knights wanted to play in this year's European Cup but got told no...so I dunno about anyone being forced lol

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, roughyedspud said:

Forced??

the knights wanted to play in this year's European Cup but got told no...so I dunno about anyone being forced lol

Yes forced, as there isn't a European Cup next year. If France are lucky they might get an away friendly against a full England team (before that team goes off to play in a different shirt) and then be put in a 'tier 2' competition with Wales and England Knights. TBH if that is the case I would be happy for them to play one game against England, one against Wales and then call it quits for the year and allow their overworked players to have a proper off-season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Evil Homer said:

Yes forced, as there isn't a European Cup next year. If France are lucky they might get an away friendly against a full England team (before that team goes off to play in a different shirt) and then be put in a 'tier 2' competition with Wales and England Knights. TBH if that is the case I would be happy for them to play one game against England, one against Wales and then call it quits for the year and allow their overworked players to have a proper off-season.

No nation gets forced to play. They may not end up with any other option but that’s a different scenario 

3 Match series between France and Wales sounds good.

Let the remaining England players split off into Yorkshire v Lancashire. Might as well. If we bringing back GB we might as well bring back the Roses. 

Edited by Wellsy4HullFC
Auto correct!
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

England should play france, that's simple, it should happen every year.

If GB are going to tour SH and obviously taking a few welsh players, we should investigate whether we can take a few more and give wales a game or two where any SH based players could play, especially if they are sending a 9s team down anyway.

One thing that might be useful is if England are going to play the knights, then they should play rep sides from Wales and France rather than their national sides. So they could play a Welsh side with no heritage players, a france side without the Les Catalans players and have the England development squad playing the Welsh and French development squads so as not to devalue those test nations.

I would also try desperately to get a mid-season home test against someone else. I'm so disappointed that we havent had a chance to see the Tonga side in the flesh and are currently 3 years away from doing so.

I think a bit of a problem with the WC and the current view of it is that the Australians will help build momentum for it, but if we could get tests against Tonga, Fiji, Samoa on the BBC thats going to be nigh on 2m people who know who those teams are, who will get excited to see Vunivalu or Taumololo or Leilua are. People who will know what the Sipi Tau is, what the Siva Tau is, what Noqu Masu is.

The Knights would simply be too strong for this France residents team proposed here. 

As long as it gets England playing next year then I'd back any games involving them. England is the brand now not GB and it would seem incredibly amateurish if they went a whole year without playing.

Back in 2012 we had the autumn international series which was basically the same principle involving the same teams and while the games weren't massively competitive and crowds not great (although France did get 11,000 at home) the teams were still playing which is the important bit. I agree with what someone further up said, while it would be England Knights, call it England to add more prestige and get more notice in the media. That would probably also help with people's perceptions of GB as well, seeing that side as the elite, representative side rather than just England in drag. 

Given the good crowds that France get for games I'd also be tempted to host the whole of the mini-series over there. French public might get behind the games more if they were seen as a sort of host country and give people in France more of a chance to see good quality internationals. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MatthewWoody said:

The Knights would simply be too strong for this France residents team proposed here. 

England are too strong for France so its not really going to make too much of a difference

2 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

England are too strong for France so its not really going to make too much of a difference

And that exactly why organizing a proper balanced game (Knights v France) would not be a bad idea, as it happened with the tour of PNG

Just now, MatthewWoody said:

And that exactly why organizing a proper balanced game (Knights v France) would not be a bad idea, as it happened with the tour of PNG

I dont think the Knights should be playing against test nations. France getting beat by an England development side is a terrible look. France are a test nation. If they play, they play test matches.

I also think you would largely end up with the Knights playing a development side anyway as all the Les Catalans players developed strains and pulls before the game. Its hard enough getting those players playing for France in test matches anyway they definitely arent up for one club providing all the players to help develop England.

We would end up with an even poorer version of what we saw at Leigh

• Like 1

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

I dont think the Knights should be playing against test nations. France getting beat by an England development side is a terrible look. France are a test nation. If they play, they play test matches.

I also think you would largely end up with the Knights playing a development side anyway as all the Les Catalans players developed strains and pulls before the game. Its hard enough getting those players playing for France in test matches anyway they definitely arent up for one club providing all the players to help develop England.

We would end up with an even poorer version of what we saw at Leigh, 

Hmm, yes and not.

Has PNG losing a game v an England emerging squad sent a bad massage, or they simply enjoyed good and well balanced games of rugby league? 

Though I must admit an annual test v England must happen.

French came very close to lose an under 19 Euros' final against an English team made without SL academy players but can't see any damage to the French rl reputation and still they consider themselves European Championship.

Over 30k came to see Brazil v NZ Maori in union...

While it's true that tests, caps, etc. are important, it's not a scandal to see some non sanctioned test from time to time, if it would mean having players really involved in closed games against a good opposition. 

11 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

Given how many first choice England players will be missing, it would have to be England Knights vs France, yes?

Surely it'll still be England if it's the best England players available. Baring in mind the best Welsh players will be playing for GB too...

France deserve full Test status. With PNG they are used to playing the Aussie PM13 every year and as a market are RL mad so will see the Knights as a big deal. 

With the French the Knights would be seen as a snub to RL in France. I say just pick the best team you can or want to.

French are proud and RL needs to compete hard for status out there. Tbh they have done well to keep the game alive in the face of alot of hostility from union. Can't wait until there are 2 teams out there and some cap dispensation and hopefully we can see a French national team with say 3-5 residence qualified decent NRL level players so to help boost them a little without it being silly and half the side being from Sydney.... 

The French fans will turn out to see what will still be a good England side and one who France at home may get close to beating on a really good day if they can talk Casty and Simon into a one off game v Les Ros Beoufs 

Fun and joke aside France with the best 17 all fit at home v England minus their best 30, I would put the handicap line at 16 pts start for France ie its relatively close.. France will be far better at home on Saturday night rather than at Leigh on a Wednesday... And the BBC will show it. 

Face it in Union the ABs will put out 23 against Italy in 2 weeks of which maybe 8 will have played against England....it doesn't devalue the match at all as we know how good NZ are. Same applies in RL With England v France and Wales. 

The top Welsh talent would be up for a big game v England. I say this as with all respect to them I can't see Grace or Knowles making the GB squad if it's picked on merit as while they are very good players, there are at least 5-6 ahead of them in their positions... Maybe they will pick them and Ben Flowers and Lewis Tierney so to have some representation? 

Edited by Southerner80

3 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

France deserve full Test status. With PNG they are used to playing the Aussie PM13 every year and as a market are RL mad so will see the Knights as a big deal. 

With the French the Knights would be seen as a snub to RL in France. I say just pick the best team you can or want to.

The French fans will turn out to see what will still be a good England side and one who France at home may get close to beating on a really good day if they can talk Casty and Simon into a one off game v Les Ros Beoufs 

Fun and joke aside France with the best 17 all fit at home v England minus their best 30, I would put the handicap line at 16 pts start for France ie its relatively close.. France will be far better at home on Saturday night rather than at Leigh on a Wednesday... And the BBC will show it. 

Face it in Union the ABs will put out 23 against Italy in 2 weeks of which maybe 8 will have played against England....it doesn't devalue the match at all as we know how good NZ are. Same applies in RL With England v France and Wales. 

The top Welsh talent would be up for a big game v England. I say this as with all respect to them I can't see Grace or Knowles making the GB squad if it's picked on merit as while they are very good players, there are at least 5-6 ahead of them in their positions... Maybe they will pick them and Ben Flowers and Lewis Tierney so to have some representation? 

So your proposal is the Knights without the name Knights?