Sign in to follow this  
The Daddy

Catalans missing French players suddenly fit for pre season

The French keep telling the RL world they want to be a top rl nation well they need to treat international RL with a lot more respect if they're gonna stand any sort of chance against the top 3. It will take sacrifice and commitment from the players, coaches and management of Catalan and TO. 

As a RL fan that loves rl in France and wants to see the international team return to it's former glory I've literally been disgusted at the attitude towards internationals in the past few seasons. So I was even more disappointed to see today players who were supposedly injured for the England and European cup games magically healed in time for pre season with the Dragons today. 

This basically confirms to me that the attitude of the French is half hearted and deserve to not get regular games against the top nations. 

In the past few years we've seen players kicked out of the squad for misbehaving, prefer to take a holiday than play games, suspended, retire early, we've seen Baitieri and Gigot swan off on holidays in the middle of the European campaign. 

Did any England players take any holidays after they won the NZ test series after two games? 

Has O'Loughlin or Graham retired already? 

France have some decent players but a massive culture shift needs to happen before we can take them seriously.....even Wayne Bennett thinks it's ridiculous that players aren't playing. 

Edited by The Daddy
  • Like 3

Perhaps an alternative view?

We take the French seriously.

By which I mean a proper International fixture list, with properly scheduled games against England and other competitive nations. For clarity, I do not mean hastily arranged games against England, who treat it as a 'warm up', at Leigh on a Wednesday night.

• Like 11

Agreed

We play.  France in France over a 3 test series if not England then the knights and promote it over the summer period or a round robin with a combined Celtic team and France in France 

Three matches over 10 days that would serve as a GB trial and then some 

• Like 4

Gigot and Baitieri helped France secure a WC berth. So what if they sit game 3 out? 

Catalans, Toulouse and the Elite met to plan selection, so no one club provided the bulk. I think this is good selection for a comp like the Euro. Gives some youngsters a run without jeopardising the result. 

• Like 4

Playing France and over three games and racking up nearly 200 points in the process, conceding 20 would do absolutely nothing for the game. 

To be taken seriously by others, France need to be serious in the first place. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, dealwithit said:

Gigot and Baitieri helped France secure a WC berth. So what if they sit game 3 out? 

Catalans, Toulouse and the Elite met to plan selection, so no one club provided the bulk. I think this is good selection for a comp like the Euro. Gives some youngsters a run without jeopardising the result. 

Even though O'Loughlin was injured he was still with the players right to the end. In contrast certain French players couldn't wait to pisss off on their holidays.....the dynamics of each camp speaks volumes. 

If you want to be the best you have to go the extra mile. You can't take shortcuts it's that simple. 

50 minutes ago, dealwithit said:

So why didn't the major England players not sit game three out then after they had the series wrapped up?

1 hour ago, Heritage XIII said:

Are the Kiwis playing any tests against France now after their recent 3 test series v England? Details?

No, they were meant to but FFR13 couldn’t organise it 

7 hours ago, The Daddy said:

So why didn't the major England players not sit game three out then after they had the series wrapped up?

Wayne Bennett

• Like 1

The Catalans could do far more for the French side. They pick as few French players as they can, and make as few available as they can. McNamara has shown nothing but contempt for the French game. 

23 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

The Catalans could do far more for the French side. They pick as few French players as they can, and make as few available as they can. McNamara has shown nothing but contempt for the French game. 

Perhaps because McNamara is English and is only concerned with his coaching success at the Catalans?

• Like 1

This problem filters down from all levels. Australia can't be bothered to play us and that pisses us off, we can't be bothered to play France (or do it on a Wednesday night, last-minute in Leigh) and that pisses them off, France are uninterested in playing the other European nations etc. It would be nice if everyone took this international RL thing seriously.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, wackojacko said:

This problem filters down from all levels. Australia can't be bothered to play us and that pisses us off, we can't be bothered to play France (or do it on a Wednesday night, last-minute in Leigh) and that pisses them off, France are uninterested in playing the other European nations etc. It would be nice if everyone took this international RL thing seriously.

We have more internationals in a clearer structure than at any time in the game’s history. France are a conspicuous issue, but pretty much every other international team has a plan and a place in the structure. The game has never taken the international side as seriously as it does today. 

McNamara and the Catalans are doing all they can to hold back the French international side through going to any lengths not to play French players and going out of their way to stop the ones they do have from playing. Escare and Navarette are excellent examples of players having to leave to get a chance to fulfil their potential, to the betterment of the national side. It seems such a pity that Catalans rather than Toulouse got the nod all those years ago, given the broader perspective that TO have to the game. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

We have more internationals in a clearer structure than at any time in the game’s history. France are a conspicuous issue, but pretty much every other international team has a plan and a place in the structure. The game has never taken the international side as seriously as it does today. 

McNamara and the Catalans are doing all they can to hold back the French international side through going to any lengths not to play French players and going out of their way to stop the ones they do have from playing. Escare and Navarette are excellent examples of players having to leave to get a chance to fulfil their potential, to the betterment of the national side. It seems such a pity that Catalans rather than Toulouse got the nod all those years ago, given the broader perspective that TO have to the game. 

We still have -all internationals, most organised with little notice and between the same few teams.

While I think there are definite criticisms to be levelled at Catalans in this respect, I think that's a serious exaggeration on your part.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wackojacko said:

We still have -all internationals, most organised with little notice and between the same few teams.

While I think there are definite criticisms to be levelled at Catalans in this respect, I think that's a serious exaggeration on your part.

1) you can easily compare the number of games played internationally and projected to be played over the next 8 years. The point I make is simply a statement of fact. 

2) again, Catalans demonstrably pack their squad and teams with non French players to the fullest extent they can, and withdraw a huge proportion of them every year: and have ditched their Academy. These are facts, not opinions. 

20 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

1) you can easily compare the number of games played internationally and projected to be played over the next 8 years. The point I make is simply a statement of fact. 

2) again, Catalans demonstrably pack their squad and teams with non French players to the fullest extent they can, and withdraw a huge proportion of them every year: and have ditched their Academy. These are facts, not opinions. 

The international game doesn't get nearly enough respect and the number of games France gets has remained more or less static for years. They have no games projected until the World Cup in 3 years time and all their games this year were announced in September IIRC. Simple statements of fact.

Lots of teams do that and it's not their obligation to develop the French game. The players you cited all came through the Catalans structure. As I said, I agree that there are criticisms to be levelled at Cats for this but they're not doing everything they can to hold the game back - that is an exaggeration.

• Like 2

I think that's a bit harsh. 

A number of those French players went through the 2017 Million pound game before going straight to the World Cup and then having to dig Catalans out of their early season mire to get in the top 8. 

They also won the cup. 

So I think they are entitled to a bit of time off. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jacobus said:

I think that's a bit harsh. 

A number of those French players went through the 2017 Million pound game before going straight to the World Cup and then having to dig Catalans out of their early season mire to get in the top 8. 

They also won the cup. 

So I think they are entitled to a bit of time off. 

I am not criticisng those French players who have managed to get a place at Catalans, and have managed to play for their country. They are proper treizistes, and entitled to their time off. My focus is solely on Catalans' attitude to the international game. They demonstrably have always signed and picked as many non French players as they can, repeatedly withdrawn the French players that they have had to develop from international squads (including the junior teams) and closed their academy. They have had to pick French players as they are not allowed to sign 25 overseas players, and some of those French players have played for their country, but they could and should have done far more structurally for the treiziste cause.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Didn't Escare & Navarette sign for Wigan in 2016 and SMc sign in 2017?

6 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Didn't Escare & Navarette sign for Wigan in 2016 and SMc sign in 2017?

Only Wigan have the good of the game at heart.

• Like 2

Bousquet and Garcia only did what burgess and Roby did, France went to play in Serbia this season and will play barla in June, 

37 minutes ago, barnyia said:

France went to play in Serbia this season and will play barla in June, 

With such glamorous opportunities available, I have to question "The Daddy'"s original post here...... why on earth would professional players not want to ignore the potential injury, or skip their time off in order to get involvced in such high-profile, well-paid events as these? These games could pull a combined attendance of at least 3000.

Chapeau to them for giving Serbia a game mind.  If only the RFL were as supportive of the French as the FFRXIII are of the Serbs.

• Like 2