Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

The all-new-ish Brexit Thread

Brexit: What should happen now?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Brexit: What should happen now?

• Accept Theresa May's Brexit deal and just get it over and done with
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and leave with 'No Deal' regardless of the consequences
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and force a General Election
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and have a second referendum with 'Remain' as an option
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and have a second referendum without 'Remain' as an option
    • Something completely different which I'll explain in detail below
    • I have absolutely no idea and have now lost the will to live, just make this stop, for pity's sake

As we're moving into a new phase of Brexit, with a deal apparently now on the table, it seems like a good time to reboot the discussion on here with a new thread and a new poll with as many of the potential outcomes as I could think of.

Now, back over to you...

2 minutes ago, John Drake said:

As we're moving into a new phase of Brexit, with a deal apparently now on the table, it seems like a good time to reboot the discussion on here with a new thread and a new poll with as many of the potential outcomes as I could think of.

Now, back over to you...

Without seeing the deal...is this premature... it might be great! (it isn't)¬†ūüėā

• Haha 1

I’m a whiny Remainer and I won’t stop whining until I get another referendum that gives me a chance to vote Remain again. If that causes a few hard-of-thinking folk to slide towards right wing extremism then that’s a consequence I’d happily accept. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Without seeing the deal...is this premature... it might be great! (it isn't)¬†ūüėā

Hey, not seeing the deal didn't stop anyone voting in the referendum or having opinions about Brexit for the past two years, why should it matter now? :biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

It's not just whether we accept it of course, its whether the EU and EU27 does too. 

A rare show of unity from Labour, SNP, Lib Dems, Plaid Cymru 

Credit May , she’s brought about almost unanimous unity ... against her 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

If the DUP, ERG, Labour remainers, SNP, etc will vote against it, do the government have the numbers?  May loyalists + some labour?  

Not just Labour Remainers, it’s official policy so you’ll only get a few rebels siding with the government. Even then, the Labour rebels tend to be closer to the ERG Tories than May’s position. 

How can you suspend cabinet responsibility?  If you want to push this through and stand up to questions?  Either back it or quit.

Good news!

So, they've finally got a technical draft of a plan for leaving the EU. If they can get it past the cabinet and parliament, it will be time, at last,  to submit the A50 withdrawal notice and start negotiating with the EU/EU27... oh, hang on??....

Like everyone else, I've really no idea how this will turn out. Either this document will be forced through using the threat of 'no deal chaos', which seems to be May's last stand, or it will fail and then we're in serious doo-doo. 

If it fails, it's hard to see a solution which the country could unite behind. It seems an immediate 'people's vote' could possibly reverse the decision, but it would be unlikely to be a landslide and the country would still be divided.

I would like to see a general election called, which would probably enable at least an extension of the A50 period, if not to unilaterally withdrawal of it (dependent on the ECJ decision due next month). If it can be withdrawn, then I would like to see the new government put a 2 year hiatus on leaving the EU whilst discussions continue as to whether it's possible to formulate a plan to leave in a way which will be beneficial to the UK. After 2 years, the new plan should then be put to a referendum. Should the plan be approved then A50 notice would be resubmitted and negotiations begin again from a position of strength.

The risk with this, of course, is business confidence during more years of uncertainty. Will the sinking ship continue to be deserted?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wholly Trinity said:

is business confidence during more years of uncertainty

Considering the essential strength of capitalism business must be one of the flimsiest and most fragile things on the planet!

If it was an animal, it would be on the endangered list.

I failed to vote in the poll above mostly because I feel we've never had and never will have a sensible debate about anything to do with the EU.

But it is nice that in commemoration of the centenary of the end of hostilities that so much of the language makes it sound like we're at war. It a bit like a minutes applause !

With regards to the poll. I want to be able to vote "Slap David Cameron around the chops for all eternity for being the worst kind of public schoolboy shallow political fop".

And then I'd like to have the chance to either remain in, or to rejoin, the EU.

• Like 2

Call a General Election I say, and let all those voters (whichever denomination they favour) let their sitting MP's who have totally disrgarded their electorate's majority irrespective of whether it was to remain or leave in the referendum deselct them.

They are in effect overturning the directive of those who went through the very same electorial process to put them into parliament in the first place.

Whichever side you favour, I could not believe the statement that the Wigan MP Lisa Nandy spurted out on Question Time when she said "Although 62% of the vote in Wigan was in favour of leaving, 38% voted to remain"? What she is actually saying is "stuff you, the majority, my one vote could wipe out all your collective votes together".

I know those who say that MP's go into government to administer the best they see fit for their electorate, but a referendum is an extraordinary directive from the public, it is not a normal proceedure, the country was personally asked to state their opinion in a democratic process, that they did, and those who represent them in parliament should take on board that directive.

• Like 1

So far, the the all-new-ish Brexit Thread doesn't seem any different to the former whining shed.

4 minutes ago, JohnM said:

So far, the the all-new-ish Brexit Thread doesn't seem any different to the former whining shed.

Agreed, you are whining on this one like you did on the last.

• Like 4

True enough. Mere background noise though, overwhelmed by the cacophony of wind eminating from the forums Remain choir. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Whichever side you favour, I could not believe the statement that the Wigan MP Lisa Nandy spurted out on Question Time when she said "Although 62% of the vote in Wigan was in favour of leaving, 38% voted to remain"? What she is actually saying is "stuff you, the majority, my one vote could wipe out all your collective votes together".

Not on topic but here's a useless fact. Do you know that the lowest percentage of a vote to elect and MP was 24.5%... 

Just a small dig that we could do with a generally better voting system than the antiquated FPTP.

25 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Never mind John, only another 592 pages to go before I lock it and start another! :biggrin:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RidingPie said:

Not on topic but here's a useless fact. Do you know that the lowest percentage of a vote to elect and MP was 24.5%... 

Just a small dig that we could do with a generally better voting system than the antiquated FPTP.

The topic of electoral reform needs its own thread.

Feel free to start one. :)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Never mind John, only another 592 pages to go before I lock it and start another! :biggrin:

Get there in no time . And still be non the wiser

4 hours ago, gingerjon said:

With regards to the poll. I want to be able to vote "Slap David Cameron around the chops for all eternity for being the worst kind of public schoolboy shallow political fop".

And then I'd like to have the chance to either remain in, or to rejoin, the EU.

A referendum with those two options might not be seen as very democratic.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JohnM said:

Very meta.