Total Rugby League Fans Forum
John Drake

The Brexit Thread (incl Brexit Party & EU elections)

Brexit: What should happen now?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Brexit: What should happen now?

• Accept Theresa May's Brexit deal and just get it over and done with
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and leave with 'No Deal' regardless of the consequences
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and force a General Election
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and have a second referendum with 'Remain' as an option
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and have a second referendum without 'Remain' as an option
    • Something completely different which I'll explain in detail below
    • I have absolutely no idea and have now lost the will to live, just make this stop, for pity's sake

Voting day and I still haven't decided.

Two flyers received: UKIP and Brexit Party.

Lots of Labour party emails that aren't quite "please feel sorry for us" but are close.

My choices are Lib Dems, Greens and Change UK.  Until I get to that polling booth and make the cross in the box I don't think I'll know who I'm voting for.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

7 minutes ago, ckn said:

Voting day and I still haven't decided.

Two flyers received: UKIP and Brexit Party.

Lots of Labour party emails that aren't quite "please feel sorry for us" but are close.

My choices are Lib Dems, Greens and Change UK.  Until I get to that polling booth and make the cross in the box I don't think I'll know who I'm voting for.

Well... the wife is very forthright on this subject.  We're just getting ready to wander up to the polling station and she asked if "that Tory is still in charge of the Lib Dems". She thinks Cable is a Tory and won't vote Lib Dem while he's still there.  She hadn't heard of Change UK beyond what I've said therefore she's not voting for them. She's voting Green and isn't that happy about me thinking of anyone else. I think I'll tell her I voted Green whatever I decide!

• Haha 2

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

3 minutes ago, ckn said:

Well... the wife is very forthright on this subject.  We're just getting ready to wander up to the polling station and she asked if "that Tory is still in charge of the Lib Dems". She thinks Cable is a Tory and won't vote Lib Dem while he's still there.  She hadn't heard of Change UK beyond what I've said therefore she's not voting for them. She's voting Green and isn't that happy about me thinking of anyone else. I think I'll tell her I voted Green whatever I decide!

Are you going to vote for Change UK, 'with that Tory' who is in charge of them?

Just now, Private Baldrick said:

Are you going to vote for Change UK, 'with that Tory' who is in charge of them?

I was just talking about my wife's views, an interesting view outside of the bubbles I otherwise live in (including here)

• Like 1

And interestingly I think a lot of the Green vote will people disillusioned with Corbyn's fence sitting who want a clear remain but cant bring themselves to vote for "an austerity enabling party" (that is a quote from a facebook friend of a friend), equally I suspect there are a fair number of Brexit supporting natural labour voters who will vote Brexit Party as they don't feel at home in Labour but would never in a million years vote blue. Very hard to accurately measure it all though even though i am sure there is an entire room full of people at labour HQ trying to do just that to work out which side of the fence to fall off

1 minute ago, SSoutherner said:

And interestingly I think a lot of the Green vote will people disillusioned with Corbyn's fence sitting who want a clear remain but cant bring themselves to vote for "an austerity enabling party" (that is a quote from a facebook friend of a friend), equally I suspect there are a fair number of Brexit supporting natural labour voters who will vote Brexit Party as they don't feel at home in Labour but would never in a million years vote blue. Very hard to accurately measure it all though even though i am sure there is an entire room full of people at labour HQ trying to do just that to work out which side of the fence to fall off

Not that I have many friends but a surprising percentage are Labour party members and I only know one who is voting Labour. The rest break down fairly evenly between Lib Dems, Greens and Plaid/SNP.

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Voted Labour.

The Labour party that tried, in one of the shadow ministers words, to "bail out" the Tories?

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

4 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

The Labour party that tried, in one of the shadow ministers words, to "bail out" the Tories?

Well I suppose I could have voted for a party that actually colluded with the Tories instead of one that just played them along.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Well I suppose I could have voted for a party that actually colluded with the Tories instead of one that just played them along.

Don't know who that's aimed at; I voted Green.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

28 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

And interestingly I think a lot of the Green vote will people disillusioned with Corbyn's fence sitting who want a clear remain but cant bring themselves to vote for "an austerity enabling party" (that is a quote from a facebook friend of a friend), 

I didn't know you and I were pals.

• Haha 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

Seems crazy but lots of people allowed to vote at the local election a few weeks ago are currently being denied a vote.  Lots of confusion over forms.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Strong and stable.

Or chaos?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

23 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Seems crazy but lots of people allowed to vote at the local election a few weeks ago are currently being denied a vote.  Lots of confusion over forms.

Genuine or just rumours?

There was a report yesterday that a whole swathe of ex-pats in France can't vote because their papers didn't arrive in time.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

13 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Strong and stable.

Or chaos?

This is just the first wave of it though.  We could have a highly likely scenario soon where our PM is Boris Johnson rushing through an unstoppable “no deal” agenda, Corbyn as Dear Leader sitting back doing nothing, Cable acting like a toddler learning his first swear word and the reaction it gets and frog-face on BBC every spare minute telling us how he should be the PM given the results of the EU elections.

And the really bad bit is that that’s the most likely short-term scenario with the others potentially being worse.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

Not in regular Greek elections, afaik.

To be honest, I don't really want to vote in Greek elections. I don't speak Greek well enough to understand the arguments, so I don't think I should vote.

Greeks, Italians, Bulgarians etc., who live in the UK can vote here, even if they barely speak English. My Neighbour who is Latvian votes every time, & he was upset that Hastings wasn't included in the Council elections last month. He has voted today already, and he suggested he is registered in Latvia too, although he hasn't been given a postal vote there.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

I wrote on my voting sheet,

"Waste of Bloody time, I vote for none of the above because they are not Rugby League supporters"

Viva RL

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

12 minutes ago, ckn said:

This is just the first wave of it though.  We could have a highly likely scenario soon where our PM is Boris Johnson rushing through an unstoppable “no deal” agenda, Corbyn as Dear Leader sitting back doing nothing, Cable acting like a toddler learning his first swear word and the reaction it gets and frog-face on BBC every spare minute telling us how he should be the PM given the results of the EU elections.

And the really bad bit is that that’s the most likely short-term scenario with the others potentially being worse.

My first reaction is, "Thank God I don't live in a country governed by such a dysfunctional shower." Then I think, "Syriza are a dysfunctional shower, and I live in Greece." Then the real calamity hits me. I am dependent on the UK pension I receive and so, I am dependent on the UK economy doing well.

Worrying times.

Edited by tonyXIII

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

3 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Greeks, Italians, Bulgarians etc., who live in the UK can vote here, even if they barely speak English. My Neighbour who is Latvian votes every time, & he was upset that Hastings wasn't included in the Council elections last month. He has voted today already, and he suggested he is registered in Latvia too, although he hasn't been given a postal vote there.

Your Latvian neighbour isn't one of the immigrants that is stopping you from having a job is he, seems you were on a rant last night about being out of work and this being a factor?

All the party's want to squirm their way into Brexit, to popularise themselves (Except Lib-Dems), the centre right parties in EU want shut of us because our politicians are all self-glorifying careerists, who don't care about their constituents, or their constituency, they just want to further their career,    

3 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

Your Latvian neighbour isn't one of the immigrants that is stopping you from having a job is he, seems you were on a rant last night about being out of work and this being a factor?

No, he is working in a job I wouldn't want