Total Rugby League Fans Forum
John Drake

The Brexit Thread (incl Brexit Party & EU elections)

Brexit: What should happen now?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Brexit: What should happen now?

• Accept Theresa May's Brexit deal and just get it over and done with
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and leave with 'No Deal' regardless of the consequences
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and force a General Election
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and have a second referendum with 'Remain' as an option
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and have a second referendum without 'Remain' as an option
    • Something completely different which I'll explain in detail below
    • I have absolutely no idea and have now lost the will to live, just make this stop, for pity's sake

6 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

Your Latvian neighbour isn't one of the immigrants that is stopping you from having a job is he, seems you were on a rant last night about being out of work and this being a factor?

I am desperate, but I have pride.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

7 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Greeks, Italians, Bulgarians etc., who live in the UK can vote here, even if they barely speak English. My Neighbour who is Latvian votes every time, & he was upset that Hastings wasn't included in the Council elections last month. He has voted today already, and he suggested he is registered in Latvia too, although he hasn't been given a postal vote there.

I believe that I could organise a right to vote here, but I really don't think I should vote because I do not understand the issues facing Greek voters, nor do I really understand the various parties' positions on these issues. I speak Greek well enough to get by on a day-to-day basis, but I really don't speak or read it well enough to be informed about political decision-making. For that reason, I don't think I should be entitled to vote. Your Latvian friend probably speaks and reads English fluently, so can make an informed decision and should be entitled to vote in either England or Latvia. Incidentally, I don't think he is entitled to a vote in both countries and he certainly shouldn't be.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

2 hours ago, Private Baldrick said:

Done, voted Brexit Party. 

Me too. Instead of an X, I drew a McDonalds M in the box. Then I went straight to the dri-thru and got a milkshake to celebrate standing up to the Remainer bullies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Me too. Instead of an X, I drew a McDonalds M in the box. Then I went straight to the dri-thru and got a milkshake to celebrate standing up to the Remainer bullies.

Did everybody cheer in Welsh?

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, Private Baldrick said:

Theresa May is Latvian? Never knew that.

She is the product of a father; Hubert Brazier, and a mother; Zaidee Mary

Great huguenots names

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

Just now, Bleep1673 said:

She is the product of a father; Hubert Brazier, and a mother; Zaidee Mary

Great huguenots names

& she claims to be Catholic!

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

Genuine or just rumours?

There was a report yesterday that a whole swathe of ex-pats in France can't vote because their papers didn't arrive in time.

They appear to be genuine issues.  Some are being resolved by people standing their ground at the polling station and getting the returning officer involved.

It’s cockups rather than any conspiracy obviously but a sign of the last minute nature of these elections. 

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 minute ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

They appear to be genuine issues.  Some are being resolved by people standing their ground at the polling station and getting the returning officer involved.

It’s cockups rather than any conspiracy obviously but a sign of the last minute nature of these elections. 

I strongly suspect it's because ensuring EU citizens get to vote is very low down the list of priorities of a government led by someone who firmly believes every word of her 'citizens of nowhere' spiel.

1 minute ago, 17 stone giant said:

Far too much reading for me

Your loss.

5 minutes ago, 17 stone giant said:

Far too much reading for me. I thought you would have been able to explain in a couple of sentences.

I was on a bus last night and I found this man hiding behind a seat.   I asked him what was wrong and he said he was worried that the crowd outside would throw their milkshakes at him.   

As it happened, I was carrying a milkshake so I poured it over his head.  

And the whole bus applauded.  

HTH

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

Voted.  I went for Green.  And not just because that's what the wife wanted...

It came down to who would I be most annoyed about missing out on a seat but for my vote.  Change UK, I'm not convinced will still be here two weeks after the next general election.  Lib Dems, their entire message is "vote for us because we're not them", that'd normally be good enough but not today.  Greens are a perfect place for a protest vote for me, a guilt-free protest vote.

• Like 3

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

27 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

Obviously this elderly gentleman deserved to be milkshaked, what say you?

Pity is wasn't liquid manure

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

45 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

Well he's definitely standing in a public place and you know who also did that? Hitler!!!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Farmduck said:

Well he's definitely standing in a public place and you know who also did that? Hitler!!!

Ah, Farage!

28 minutes ago, ckn said:

And not just because that's what the wife wanted...

Aye, mate. We know how it works. There's no shame in it.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

• Haha 1

If any other nation on earth were having the issues we're having with people being denied their lawful vote then we'd be tutting and sneering over our broadsheets at the foreign oiks and their corrupt practices. For some reason, our country is going "ah well, what a pity, they'd not have voted the right way anyway".

• Like 1

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain