Total Rugby League Fans Forum
John Drake

The Brexit Thread (incl Brexit Party & EU elections)

Brexit: What should happen now?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Brexit: What should happen now?

• Accept Theresa May's Brexit deal and just get it over and done with
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and leave with 'No Deal' regardless of the consequences
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and force a General Election
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and have a second referendum with 'Remain' as an option
    • Reject Theresa May's Brexit deal and have a second referendum without 'Remain' as an option
    • Something completely different which I'll explain in detail below
    • I have absolutely no idea and have now lost the will to live, just make this stop, for pity's sake

27 minutes ago, headtackle said:

Mate, my vote was never in doubt!

I hope that our European cousins are voting in an equally sceptical manner in their own nations

Oh Nooooooooooooooooooo!  That's done it. It's a milkshake for you, my lad! 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7062321/Yob-pelts-Brexit-Party-supporting-army-veteran-MILKSHAKE.html

Four legs good - two legs bad

1 hour ago, Saintslass said:

If you say so.

Watch out for that GJ milkshake treatment!  😀😀😀😀😀😀

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

In what specific ways?

And it’s not a shambles. The post you liked from Saintslass makes clear it’s just a few foreigners objecting to not being spoonfed.

I'm not going to do your homework for you if you can't do it yourself. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JohnM said:

I'm not going to do your homework for you if you can't do it yourself. 

Dear John,

I see you have refused to do gj's homework for him. This should leave you with some spare time. Could you possibly do mine for me?

Yours etc.

Theresa

Edited by tonyXIII

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

1 hour ago, headtackle said:

Just back from voting

That big arrow pointing to the correct box was very helpful

Like him or loathe him that as a marketing ploy is pretty smart. Am sure someone will cry foul when he wins. Perhaps we can have a re-run or some sort of confirmatory votes just to make sure that we knew what we were voting for! 

EU elections happen every five years, not once in a lifetime, so everyone gets the opportunity to change their mind if they want. 

Good idea, don't you think...?

4 hours ago, tonyXIII said:

Dear John,

I see you have refused to do gj's homework for him. This should leave you with some spare time. Could you possibly do mine for me?

Yours etc.

Theresa

Only if you can be bothered to vote. 😊

On a serious note, I'm interested in the concept of Brexit, or anyone else,  "winning".

I can see the outcome as an "indicative "  people's vote, but that is not what it is supposed to be. 

If the "winners" actually take their seats in Brussels/Strasbourg,  what then?

8 hours ago, John Drake said:

EU elections happen every five years, not once in a lifetime, so everyone gets the opportunity to change their mind if they want. 

Good idea, don't you think...?

There is no right or wrong answer as to whether we should have a second referendum or not. It's an opinion, so it's only a good idea or bad idea, depending on your opinion.

My opinion is that it's a good idea to hold General and EU elections every five years, but I'm far less happy with the idea of holding a second referendum only three years after the first.

It doesn't automatically follow that because I think it's a good idea for General and EU elections, that I need to feel likewise about EU referendums. The circumstances surrounding each, are different.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 17 stone giant said:

There is no right or wrong answer as to whether we should have a second referendum or not. It's an opinion, so it's only a good idea or bad idea, depending on your opinion.

My opinion is that it's a good idea to hold General and EU elections every five years, but I'm far less happy with the idea of holding a second referendum only three years after the first.

It doesn't automatically follow that because I think it's a good idea for General and EU elections, that I need to feel likewise about EU referendums. The circumstances surrounding each, are different.

If we held a general election and the way the vote was configured the result came out as not the Green Party what would you do then. 

4 hours ago, JohnM said:

On a serious note, I'm interested in the concept of Brexit, or anyone else,  "winning".

I can see the outcome as an "indicative "  people's vote, but that is not what it is supposed to be. 

I understand your point and I wrestled with that when deciding to vote for the Brexit Party. On the one hand I felt I ought to vote for candidates who would actually make a positive contribution towards the EU parliaments activities. Equally, I wanted to take the opportunity to send a message to the main parties that I'm extremely unhappy with their handling of Brexit. Ultimately, the latter took precedence.

I suppose in a way it was me coming down on the side of now wanting Brexit to be delivered, since my vote is only going to help that cause.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

If we held a general election and the way the vote was configured the result came out as not the Green Party what would you do then. 

I do understand the point you're trying to make - you're referring to the fact that we didn't know specifically what "Leave the EU" meant.

I just feel that we know enough about what leaving means, in order for Parliament to choose one of the available options. They're just failing to do so. I sympathise to a point with their situation, but I think they need to take responsibility.

It is their job to make tough and big decisions. That's why they're in Parliament and in power. It was a big decision whether to go to war in Iraq. It will be a big decision whether to allow Huawei to be involved in the UK 5G network provision.

But Parliament didn't then and doesn't normally say "oh, we can't decide, let's ask the people to choose." That's not how things work. And given that it was Parliament that offered the country a referendum and accepted the question (despite people pointing out the potential problems with it), I think it's a bit poor for them to now shirk responsibility and try and pass everything back onto the public. Even more so when for quite a lot of them, it's NOT about the public 'confirming' which leave option they want, but an attempt by certain MP's to overturn the result of the first referendum. That's why I'm uneasy about it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JohnM said:

Only if you can be bothered to vote. 😊

Good luck in getting Nigel to take his seat except for when it’s going to be on the news and he gets enough notice to take time out of his touring schedule.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

1 minute ago, ckn said:

Good luck in getting Nigel to take his seat except for when it’s going to be on the news and he gets enough notice to take time out of his touring schedule.

Unfair. He has to show up and sign in a certain number of times a year to get his full pay and expenses.

• Haha 1

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I've decided to join the Conservative and Unionist Party immediately.

.that way I can quit in protest.

Edited by JohnM
  • Haha 1

• Like 1

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

22 minutes ago, JohnM said:

I've decided to join the Conservative and Unionist Party immediately.

.that way I can quit in protest.

Better hurry up, John. Soon there'll be nobody left for you to hand your resignation in to.

• Haha 1

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

8 minutes ago, tonyXIII said:

Better hurry up, John. Soon there'll be nobody left for you to hand your resignation in to.

Larry the cat has been made party chairman

• Haha 1

The BBC has just dug up David Mellor for BBC1 BREAKFAST. 😀😀😀😀😀

10 hours ago, JohnM said:

Watch out for that GJ milkshake treatment!  😀😀😀😀😀😀

Be careful with your yoghurt.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

12 minutes ago, JohnM said:

So have Sky news.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

12 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

Larry the cat has been made party chairman

I challenge you to show how Larry the Cat running Number 10, Gladstone the Cat as Chancellor, and Palmerston the Cat as Foreign Secretary could possibly do worse than we have now.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

16 minutes ago, JohnM said:

That's because their old favourite has defected to the LibDems.

4 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

That's because their old favourite has defected to the LibDems.

Has he really?

18 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

Be careful with your yoghurt.  

I'll be OK. GJ has been spotted in Aldershot.

15 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

So have Sky news.

The big day has finally arrived. I've been waiting so long to know where he stood on the People's Vote. This is truly a life changing moment! 🤣

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

Just now, Wiltshire Rhino said:

The big day has finally arrived. I've been waiting so long to know where he stood on the People's Vote. This is truly a life changing moment! 🤣

Most people seem to want to know who did his hair.  

• Haha 1