Sign in to follow this  
17 stone giant

Great Britain Origin Series - West vs East

I'm sick of those Aussies doing everything better than us in rugby league. We invented this game, not them. Why should they have a better league than us, and an origin series, while we have nothing. It's time we put our own house in order. We need more high profile games. We'll be waiting years for other national teams to become worthwhile us playing, if it happens at all. We need our own origin series NOW.

Much to my disappointment, none of you seem to care about Yorkshire v Lancashire. So, instead, let's have West Britain v East Britain. That way the whole country can get involved. I've been on Paint for a minute and made a logo for the series. It's a rugby ball on green grass. The rest is fairly self explanatory.

Let's do this! Who's with me?

origin.png

Just now, SilentAssassin said:

be better if we could get France up to a competitive level

It would be wonderful if they were, and we should be doing everything possible to make that happen. In the meantime....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SilentAssassin said:

Exactly!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SilentAssassin said:

We can't force the French to have a better attitude..

• Like 1

Please no. If you really want a battle for places for GB then I’m going to come from left field. England v Scotland v Wales v Ireland. Seeing as they’re all on the badge an’ll 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

Please no. If you really want a battle for places for GB then I’m going to come from left field. England v Scotland v Wales v Ireland. Seeing as they’re all on the badge an’ll 

But we already know that all the best players are English. There isn't a battle to be had there.

My suggestion wasn't just a battle for GB selection - although if you play well, it should obviously help your cause - it was more a way of trying to create another high profile match - and one that might just interest people who aren't already fans of RL.

1 minute ago, 17 stone giant said:

But we already know that all the best players are English. There isn't a battle to be had there.

My suggestion wasn't just a battle for GB selection - although if you play well, it should obviously help your cause - it was more a way of trying to create another high profile match - and one that might just interest people who aren't already fans of RL.

So instead we have East v West England to prove the games international appeal just before we hold the 2021 World Cup. Put it in the shelf marked “good idea as it passed between the ears”.

If they could be good enough it ought to be England v Wales.

And since Welshman can be in an England cricket team, then they should also be in our 'Inter'national RL team.  Thus our 'origin' series would be an 'Intra'national' series. 

7 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

If they could be good enough it ought to be England v Wales.

We need to ban the word IF in rugby league. What is the point in saying if ABC, we should do XYZ? We have to work with what we've actually got, not what we wish we had.

My idea might not be popular, but it is at least something that you could do right now.

12 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

So instead we have East v West England to prove the games international appeal just before we hold the 2021 World Cup. Put it in the shelf marked “good idea as it passed between the ears”.

I would want to play a GB origin match/series on a regular basis, not just as a one off. Maybe every four or two years, or even every year.

5 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Who would watch it and why should they care?

Well, obviously the first stage is that rugby league as a sport has to care. That means the administrators (RFL), the players, and the existing fans, would need to make an effort to help it succeed. The motivation for them doing so would be that they love rugby league, and they want rugby league to be a success and to grow. (Just as an aside, I would maybe give it to Eddie Hearn to organise and market this event.)

The above would need to happen before you could invite and encourage the rest of the country to care too.

Regarding reasons to care, well, it would be two teams full of the best rugby league talent that Great Britain currently has available (barring maybe the NRL players). There is a shortage of decent international matches, so it would help to fill that void, without costing a fortune in travel or time spent away. Given the right backing, I think it could be quite a good spectacle. If it was played partly as a GB trial, that would add something to it as well. I think the BBC could be persuaded to show it too.

1 hour ago, The 4 of Us said:

All on the field at the same time, please. 

If we are going to play a trial match I would go with possibles v probables. So allow Bennett to pick his squad then appoint a coach to select a team from the remaining players. I think with the depth England now have it would be a very competitive game/series. Also if this was in season or before any end of season games there would be plenty of motivation for the teams. 

I’m possibly in the minority here but I think we should just be focusing on getting the club game right before launching into a new version of a rep game.

Getting club rugby to a higher standard would still positively impact on the international game if that’s what the aim is

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Markos said:

I’m possibly in the minority here but I think we should just be focusing on getting the club game right before launching into a new version of a rep game.

Getting club rugby to a higher standard would still positively impact on the international game if that’s what the aim is

One of the aims was to create something regular (ideally annually) that non-current RL fans could watch and hopefully buy into. If you're not a huge follower of club RL (which I'm not), there are very few games to watch. Next year there isn't even a mid season international, so I'll mostly be in UKRL hibernation until the GB tour begins. I'll keep an eye on the Challenge Cup, just in case it takes my fancy, and even more so the Grand Final, but that's about all really. I'm not complaining about that - it's just how it is - but it would obviously be nice to have a bit more.

11 hours ago, 17 stone giant said:

One of the aims was to create something regular (ideally annually) that non-current RL fans could watch and hopefully buy into. If you're not a huge follower of club RL (which I'm not), there are very few games to watch. Next year there isn't even a mid season international, so I'll mostly be in UKRL hibernation until the GB tour begins. I'll keep an eye on the Challenge Cup, just in case it takes my fancy, and even more so the Grand Final, but that's about all really. I'm not complaining about that - it's just how it is - but it would obviously be nice to have a bit more.

I don't support a super league team, I still watch it every week. There are plenty of games to watch. The issue surely for those RL fans not tuning in every week is more to do with (a) the quality of the games on TV (b) current TV deals being prohibitive or (c) poor marketing or advertisement. Maybe there are more, but my point is I don't see the idea you are proposing solving anything or pulling in masses more fans.

Edited by Markos
Spelling

Forget Origin, you are never going to replicate the formula up here. Anything attempted will just look a pathetic and blatant copy.

As for West v East, we already have such a concept, albeit South West and North East - of the Lump that is.

Well I used to enjoy the Roses matches both times they were reintroduced in the last 30 years. It could come across as a bit parochial though. 

I also liked the Exiles game and felt we were on to something with a one off match. I would watch a SL-based England team play the best of the rest of SL (inc overseas and domestic players). A bit like a possibles vs probables but higher quality. 

Failing that I’d have 2-3 international games in the summer in the Southern Hemisphere at the same time as Origin if the NRL could be arsed. 

And always have home test matches in the UK in the autumn with a parallel Knights programme. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Markos said:

I don't support a super league team, I still watch it every week. There are plenty of games to watch.

Yes, but they are club games, which personally speaking I have very little interest in watching. It's great that you do, but my point was that for those of us who don't, there isn't much else. Contrast that, say, with me being able to watch England rugby union play maybe ten times a year (as well as watching other international matches not involving England). Like I said, it wasn't a complaint about rugby league - the sport does what it can and you can't create matches out of thin air - but rather an observation that for people like me, there's not too much on offer.

3 minutes ago, Markos said:

The issue surely for those RL fans not tuning in every week is more to do with (a) the quality of the games on TV (b) current to deals being prohibitive or (c) poor marketing or advertisement.

None of those reasons apply for me. I don't watch because I'm not interested in club RL. I'm the same with club RU. 

9 minutes ago, Markos said:

my point is I don't see the idea you are proposing solving anything or pulling in masses more fans.

It's not an idea that I would be expecting to transform the fortunes of rugby league and attract millions of new people to become regular fans. It was just an idea for creating hopefully another small cog in a much larger wheel - another outlet for the game to showcase itself, and for people who don't normally watch the sport, to see it.

Put it this way - if I asked one of my friends (many of whom watch and attend various other sports) if they wanted to come round and watch, or even better to attend with me, a rugby league match, the first thing that they would say is "who is playing?". If I reply with "Wigan v Warrington", I can pretty much guarantee you that the answer will be no. If it was a Challenge Cup final, then maybe, but even then I wouldn't fancy my chances. It's just not a fixture that would hold any appeal to them as a non-fan (if I can put it that way). If, however, I said it's England v Australia, I'd have at least a chance of them being interested - likewise if I said "it's West v East in a rugby league origin and told them that it's the best players playing etc.".

The relevance of this is not that people who watch the occasional rep match are going to become diehard fans, standing on the terraces at Leigh or wherever - I'm not suggesting that at all. However, rugby league needs to try and establish a large pool of people (a bit like myself really) who are happy to just watch the sport maybe four or five times a year, when it's an international or a special event. That is what gives rugby union it's power and success - not loads of people attending matches for Exeter and Northampton, but a whole load of people whose level is to watch and support the England team. With that wider support base, rugby union is able to sell merchandise and it has a presence that it can capitalise on financially and, ultimately, for the good of the sport, and to re-invest and help the sport grow.

Now, I'm not suggesting that rugby league can do the same, because there just aren't the international teams for England to play. That is why it needs to maybe try and be a bit more creative and find other avenues. Why not a Roses origin match - Yorkshire v Lancashire? That would have some wider appeal in the country - providing that the sport made it into a success and into spectacle.

The problem with rugby league is that too often it looks at the negatives - it looks for reasons why it can't do something, rather than reasons why it can.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, foozler said:

Forget Origin, you are never going to replicate the formula up here. Anything attempted will just look a pathetic and blatant copy.

There we have it again. Negative and more negative. Why would it have to look pathetic? It would only look pathetic if you allow it to look pathetic.

Would it even be a blatant copy? Yorkshire have been playing Lancashire for many years - maybe even before Queensland and NSW did, I'm not sure. Either way, it's been a long time, and why even does it matter anyway if it's a copy? That is such a non-argument.

When someone came up with the idea for a tv show called Big Brother (I think it might have been the Dutch, but I'm not sure), did every other country say "we're not doing that - it's a blatant copy. It would look pathetic." No, they took the idea and made it a success in their country too.

For me, the only Origin that could work is North v South, however this would require the South to be competitive and we need far more players down here. It’s the same issue with France and the other Ctic nations

Did Rugby ever have North v South before the breakaway?

• Like 1