Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Beaumont stopped with incorrect number plate - Typical Daily Mail

Imagine my surprise looking at the Daily Mail website (yes the shame but I wanted to see what they had to say about Brexit) and one of the headlines immediately below the Brexit stuff is this:

Millionaire owner, 47, of rugby league club who was stopped on the M60 for not displaying a number plate on his £300,000 Lamborghini is fined £440 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6396851/Millionaire-fined-440-not-displaying-number-plate-300-000-Lamborghini.html

Now this isn't really about Beaumont or the fact he has been caught infringing the law. It is more my amazement to the prevalence on the Daily Mail site, particularly so when they don't even show a link to their Rugby League section, if I can call it that. I highly doubt that any other sport which barely ever gets a mention, even for big events and internationals, would  have such a prevalent headline on that site.  However when its a bit of bad news its an entirely different story. It just shows the bias that Rugby League has to face with large sections of the media.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 3

If you want really bad news about rugby league, stick to reading the many posts on this forum. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 1

I think the daily mail hates anyone who is seen as ‘new money’. They have no issues with inherited wealth, but they can’t abide ‘muck with brass’.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The article says more about Beaumont than it does about the Mail.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Kyokushin said:

He must have sold an awful lot of tacky plastic decking to buy that. 

Or cancelled a lot of players contracts

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

What do you expect them to say exactly? I’m not sure what else people expected in all honesty. He’s chairman of Leigh Centurions, a relatively well-known Rugby League Team (if you’re a Rugby League fan), and he’s been caught by police, it must be a slow news day but it’s not a massive surprise this has made the news. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Manx RL said:

Or cancelled a lot of players contracts

Ya...hes got a Lambo but he can't honour his contracts due to a lack of funds...sickening....yet there are still those that defend him.

What a disgusting person.  sell the Lambo....pay your debts for services which have been rendered...then you can at least walk down a street with your head held high.  The whole scenario shows such a lack of personal ethics it is hard to believe actually.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Ya...hes got a Lambo but he can't honour his contracts due to a lack of funds...sickening....yet there are still those that defend him.

What a disgusting person.  sell the Lambo....pay your debts for services which have been rendered...then you can at least walk down a street with your head held high.  The whole scenario shows such a lack of personal ethics it is hard to believe actually.

This is not the point is it?    

Leigh are a company. If they lose money and keep losing money then it will cost him a dozen Lambos. It would go on for ever.  Or rather it can't,  and it hasn't. That why companies go bust and into insolvency and receivership.   

Besides Lambos start at £130k 🙄

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

What do you expect them to say exactly? I’m not sure what else people expected in all honesty. He’s chairman of Leigh Centurions, a relatively well-known Rugby League Team (if you’re a Rugby League fan), and he’s been caught by police, it must be a slow news day but it’s not a massive surprise this has made the news. 

Well they could do what they normally do with Rugby League and completely ignore it? When it is the next headline after Brexit on the home page it is more than a little strange. The Daily Mail doesn't normally pander to Rugby League and I'd hazard a guess that many of its readers would have any idea who this person was or of the Leigh Rugby League team, or even that matter have even heard of Leigh as a place. Even many of the comments even ask why is this even newsworthy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

The bit I had the misfortune to read didn't mention speeding.

Quite correct and I don't know why I put that. Now amended.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

This is not the point is it?    

Leigh are a company. If they lose money and keep losing money then it will cost him a dozen Lambos. It would go on for ever.  Or rather it can't,  and it hasn't. That why companies go bust and into insolvency and receivership.   

Besides Lambos start at £130k 🙄

We agree on alot of things Rupert but on this I guess we must part company.

To me it is exactly the point.

Yes Leigh is a company.  i wish they were not losing money but I guess they are (unless the books have been cooked).  Certainly losing money can't go on forever and some hard decisions will have to be made...I understand....its business.  I agree that some companies do go bust and into receivership...I get that.

The  owner of the company should at least try to pay any outstanding debts...maybe he can't honour them all but he should try his very best (its ethics) to pay some or all of  it back.  The cost of the Lambo is not at issue.....the fact that he is driving around in one at all when he fails to honour his debts is the true shocker....this is wrong....very, very wrong....and a true reflection on his poor character.

• Like 4

when I saw the thread title , before clicking on it, I figured why is something on Bill Beaumont on the RL forum?    Im surprised the Mail deem this newsworthy. One can only feel they wish to portray our wonderful game negatively.......Surely if they run this, they could have a article about the Burgess Brothers and their tragedy with their Father Dying of Motor Neurone Disease and how 4 of em have played NRL or an article about JJB and his community work with Leeds foundation etc etc 

As For the clubs debts, its a complicated one. He's made some financial decisions that have cost him and of course questions need to be asked about this. Personally I don't begrudge him his Lambo and feel its fair enough he's negotiating on the contracts he wants off the books. He's entitled to feel he doesn't want to loose more and more money on Leigh.  If there was not the option of debts being limited to a company I doubt many rich persons will want to invest in a sports team, in the knowledge they are liable for all their debts, which could then wipe them out. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, Southerner80 said:

which could then wipe them out. 

Like wiping out a guy thats owed a paycheck from a contract signed in good faith...paying for a roof over his families head and food on the table for his kids.....do you mean like that?

43 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

Like wiping out a guy thats owed a paycheck from a contract signed in good faith...paying for a roof over his families head and food on the table for his kids.....do you mean like that?

Its not always that clear though is it?.... This is pro sport and this sort of thing happens... Owners have to have limits on their liabilities or we can't expect people to want to put themselves in this position. 

Further if one could not limit their exposure to debt when things mess up, we would have a system where people go to jail for debt and not much business happens? 

Its easy to say Beaumont is bad for this however it's not that clear cut. 

5 hours ago, Damien said:

Imagine my surprise looking at the Daily Mail website (yes the shame but I wanted to see what they had to say about Brexit) and one of the headlines immediately below the Brexit stuff is this:

Millionaire owner, 47, of rugby league club who was stopped on the M60 for not displaying a number plate on his £300,000 Lamborghini is fined £440 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6396851/Millionaire-fined-440-not-displaying-number-plate-300-000-Lamborghini.html

Now this isn't really about Beaumont or the fact he has been caught infringing the law. It is more my amazement to the prevalence on the Daily Mail site, particularly so when they don't even show a link to their Rugby League section, if I can call it that. I highly doubt that any other sport which barely ever gets a mention, even for big events and internationals, would  have such a prevalent headline on that site.  However when its a bit of bad news its an entirely different story. It just shows the bias that Rugby League has to face with large sections of the media.

The most worrying fact here is that you wanted to know what the Daily Mail was saying about Brexit...... Not sure we can believe the Daily Mail in any context these days

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Daskaiser said:

The most worrying fact here is that you wanted to know what the Daily Mail was saying about Brexit...... Not sure we can believe the Daily Mail in any context these days

I don't but when bored at work like to get different perspectives on major news stories.

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

Derek rarely uses that Lambo, he has a Lambo SUV and the Roller for day to day use. He does do some fantastic charity work as well.

Did you read this first sentence before  posting....I’m sure that’ll go down well with afflicted families of ex-players in the monopoly world of finance that is Leigh RLFC. 

• Sad 1

If Lamborghinis start retailing at £130k then this shows why leigh are in the mess they currently find themselves as surely "the derek " should just have bought two instead,thus saving himself 40 grand,hey presto,Jamie acton for yet another year!!

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

Derek rarely uses that Lambo, he has a Lambo SUV and the Roller for day to day use. He does do some fantastic charity work as well.

Where exactly on your body is the huge tattoo of delightful degsy?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

Good for him. The law still applies. "Lambo" is VW. The SUV is built on the Audi Q7 platform, as is the Porsche equivalent. 

Edited by JohnM
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, JohnM said:

Good for him. The law still applies. "Lambo" is VW. The SUV is built on the Audi Q7 platform, as is the Porsche equivalent. 

Google is great 👍 

• Haha 1