Anyone else excited about the Jamaica game?

I haven't had the chance to watch the weekday games, but will do my best to watch this.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

17 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Anyone else excited about the Jamaica game v USA tomorrow?

Would really like to see Jamaica qualify for a World Cup after the effort people like Romeo and Roy have put in over the years.

Having about 1000 players registered in different competitions.

I would like to see them qualify too Tex. it would lift the profile of RL hugely there too. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

1 hour ago, Manfred Mann said:

USA qualifying will give more prestige to the World Cup.

USA qualifying will go completely unremarked in the North of England, where the world cup is being held. I imagine that will also be true in the USA itself. Jamaica qualifying will certainly attract mainstream media interest both here and in the Caribbean. Soccer and Cricket's world cups seem to have done OK without American involvement over the years.

24 minutes ago, JonM said:

USA qualifying will go completely unremarked in the North of England, where the world cup is being held. I imagine that will also be true in the USA itself. Jamaica qualifying will certainly attract mainstream media interest both here and in the Caribbean. Soccer and Cricket's world cups seem to have done OK without American involvement over the years.

I tend to agree. Rugby Boyz and all that 

It would be great for the WC. I can Imagine I would be able to then talk to more of my friends who have a Jamaican background about this sport how it's not like union and that now they have a Jamaican team in a WC they should check out a game or two. 

It may also encourage more Jamaicans, both local or diaspora to play the game. 

The USA is so big, its hard to make a splash and RL seems there to be best suited to focus on building a stronger regional presence where it is played. The WC qualification won't make as much difference as we would like it to. 

Not sure about that - we need the USA structure to have a reasonably successful head to it and that’s the national team

I really wish this little 4 team round robin could be played through the year and potentially all the teams travel to each other’s home grounds to do it

You could sell that home and away i think especially in Chile and canada and Jamaica but as noted not so much the USA

The USA neeeds to step up its development pathways and the only real way of doing that is exposing great athletes to the sport over the next few years - hence the NYC team and others, if they can, are so very important to the development of RL in the americas as they will be the only real pro teams outside of Toronto 

so yes t.he investment in clubs needs to head that up

Meanwhile Jamaica would be a great addition as would Canada - surprised at the lack of progress there but the message boards have been full of stuff about TWP and the misfiring relationships in Canada - need to sort that

Will be great for a team with Jamaicans and heritage players to get into the RLWC - would be a real coup and raise the profile of the game there to a new level hopefully - I would like to think Monteith could keep the momentum going as well - maybe get the other teams to play in Jamaica next year for the round robin event with possibly another South American team along with chile?

I think Monteith deserves some real success for all his efforts. Well deserved.

Archived