Sign in to follow this  
Sports Prophet

Less Internationals Is What Is Required

It is debateable that less internationals is what RL needs.

Dare I suggest, that if Aus/NZ toured only once every 8 years, there would be no trouble selling out three tests at Wembley, Emirates and Elland Rd. Anticipation of each series would be epic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Bingo. What a silly thread.

Yeah obviously a poor trolling attempt.

The problem is repetition which is due to the lack of worthy opponents and the attitude of the Australia to the international game. That leaves us with only NZ to play. As good as they can be, it eventually becomes a hard sell when we have a NZ series so often. So I can understand where the op is coming from but don't agree with reducing internationals 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Dare I suggest, that if Aus/NZ toured only once every 8 years, there would be no trouble selling out three tests at Wembley, Emirates and Elland Rd. Anticipation of each series would be epic.

Today's American zone World Cup Qualifiers would suggest otherwise.  Both were decent standard matches even though most of the players were semi-pro or non-pro, and the US-Jamaica match was a close low-scoring affair not settled until the last few minutes.  Internationals reach the casual sports follower in a way which league and cup matches for clubs don't.

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Have you become the mouthpiece for Australian Rugby league or have you been taking something Illegal?

• Haha 2

Think about it. The strength of our sport is not in the internationals. There just isn’t enough competition. 

By all means, the nations below Australia, NZ and England should all be playing as much as possible to improve, but, I would prefer to watch a well anticipated series once every four years played in front of 3 x 60-80k crowds rather than every year in front of 3 x 25-30k crowds.

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Appalling lack of ambition. Once a century (at most) and you'd get people queuing to buy tickets years in advance.

And if GB toured Australia, it might even sell out ANZ Stadium... But, come to think about it, that one truly is a long shot.

I do love your sense of humor though.

6 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Eng vs NZ just got over 30 000 last test as the numbers grew by about 10 000 per game. Tonga got over 30 000 v Australia. NZ had a poor crowd vs Australia but like Eng after their win if they had a 2nd and 3rd game the crowds would have grown by quite a bit. Their victory vs Aus and their dominance in the 3rd game of the Eng test series hopefully will help them pull larger crowds next year. NZ v Tonga should be a sell out. I hope its at Eden Park.  

Next year GB will play NZ Tonga Samoa Fiji PNG while Australia will play NZ and Tonga. Tonga who have sold out their last 4 games (maybe 5, having a mind blank) will be playing NZ Australia and GB. I'm expecting really big crowds next year.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Think about it. The strength of our sport is not in the internationals. There just isn’t enough competition. 

By all means, the nations below Australia, NZ and England should all be playing as much as possible to improve, but, I would prefer to watch a well anticipated series once every four years played in front of 3 x 60-80k crowds rather than every year in front of 3 x 25-30k crowds.

So good of Todd Greenberg to come on here to share his and the NRLs vision of the future of international rugby league.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

The problem is repetition which is due to the lack of worthy opponents and the attitude of the Australia to the international game. That leaves us with only NZ to play. As good as they can be, it eventually becomes a hard sell when we have a NZ series so often. So I can understand where the op is coming from but don't agree with reducing internationals 

It was our decision to play NZ 4 times in 2018. Tonga, who beat NZ, would have been a great game. Samoa and Fiji are also decent opposition, Fiji knocked New Zealand out of the World Cup. The Four Nations is the tournament we should be playing every year there isn’t a World Cup, with Australia if there willing to play, without them if not. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

So good of Todd Greenberg to come on here to share his and the NRLs vision of the future of international rugby league.

Does he think he’s a sports prophet or something?

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

We need England, New Zealand, France, Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Italy, Spain, Lebanon, Germany, USA, Canada, Jamaica, PNG, Fiji, Tonga, Samoa ect to all be playing more and regular internationals for them to get better.

RU don’t have a problem selling internationals and there’s no reason why the RFL couldn’t have sold out Hull Liverpool and Leeds this year

I just think more quality internationals between evenly matched sides can only be good for the game . There must be room for the club and a burgeoning international game , which has been sidelined to long . Look at  this recent series - the exposure , the publicity the good that did the game was priceless . In three weeks it snowballed and got great interest . More of that regularly can only be good . I still say that is what folk want , and folk outside the RL bubble recognise and tap into . It’s not one or the other 

12 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

The history of Rugby League is though

1909 first NZ Tour

1954 First ever "Rugby World Cup"

Rugby League is to blame for the current state of play internationally. Too much self serving, self-preservation and small minded corner shop thinking. The sporting world has passed us by.

12 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Yeh, just think about it! 

21 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

Isnt the fish in the leaking barrell strategy the sport is currently pursuing.

Less water, so lets have less fish.

Instead of fixing the barrell.

• Like 2