Sign in to follow this  
Tommygilf

Logical internationals next year

The RFL seem intent on a tour to the pacific next Autumm. This is all well and good but with European WC qualifiers going on for Scotland and Ireland calling this team anything other than England is futile imo. England can still go and have a great tour of the pacific next year and I hope they do. I don't want to debate GB to death on here though as there are plenty of threads for that.

With Jamaica now qualified for the WC, we have them, France, Wales and even Lebanon who are WC nations without games next year. Surely someone can put bang some heads together to make some test matches/tours happen? 

Then again this is RL...

Jamaica played Wales and Ireland in 2016, beat Ireland comfortably and got a draw with Wales (Im guessing they didn't put out their best sides but even so) and played France in 2017 and I don't think there is any reason they cant do something like this again with most of their team being based in this country. Give them games against France and Wales, maybe even throw in the England Knights and I think there will be some entertaining games.  Now that Jamaica have qualified for the world cup it is very important they keep playing over the next couple of years to the world cup.

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose
  • Like 3

Jamaica could be a big RL boom area. They have a decent amateur set up going and plenty of heritage players to shore them up whilst they grow.

There is no reason why they can't be playing against England, france and Wales over the next few years

• Like 6

I think more regular competition between the 3 NA teams and the European teams would be very beneficial. Maybe not regular against England just yet (and definitely not the Knights as they'd still get destroyed and that would do no good for anyone getting beat by a B team). But they certainly could get the odd scalp against the other Euro Nations.

• Like 3

Would like to see Jamaica play a game in London. There’s a large Afro-Caribbean population there and with Skolars having two or three of the National side involved in their club would be a good place to base themselves. 

• Like 5

52 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I think more regular competition between the 3 NA teams and the European teams would be very beneficial. Maybe not regular against England just yet (and definitely not the Knights as they'd still get destroyed and that would do no good for anyone getting beat by a B team). But they certainly could get the odd scalp against the other Euro Nations.

Call it Jamaica XIII and well, it's ok.

47 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Would like to see Jamaica play a game in London. There’s a large Afro-Caribbean population there and with Skolars having two or three of the National side involved in their club would be a good place to base themselves. 

New River Stadium is in Harringay as well where there is a large Jamaican community (according to wikipedia).  Even just getting a few thousand in for a couple of friendlies would be great and still bigger crowds than they get anywhere else! 

Edited by The Hallucinating Goose

Jamacia to join Wales  France and England in a series next autumn makes sense. Just pick players who don't go on the Lions tour and who want to play what will be lower profile internationals that ideally will be home games for the other nations or based in London or Yorkshire for Jamaica.

France v England in France will get a good crowd. Ie 10k

Wales v England in Cardiff may get a ok crowd. Ie 3k

Bringing in Lebanon isn't a bad idea just they will be expected to play away and I cant see then affording more than an away trip to france for a couple of weeks. A domestic Lebanon team though would probably struggle however would still be good for them to play..maybe some NRL talent may fancy the trip and self fund? Moses, and Farah etc would make a huge difference. 

Bascially JA making WC is exciting times for the game as right now they can be a legit team who can compete at around the level of Wales and maybe beat France, and we need more of those. It might be JA turns out to be the great Americas success!

Edited by Southerner80

one thing in Jamaica's favour is that their heritage players are largely based in England rather than Australia making it easier (and sadly cheaper is a consideration) for a Jamaica team to play England in England.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

These are exciting times for the international game. Arranging games of course requires all of the relevant federations to have the will and the funds to put it on. I would have thought it could be pretty cheap for Jamaica to play over here, relative to having to play in the US. Involving, if possible, Wales, France and Lebanon makes perfect sense. All of these have proper domestic teams, have already qualified for the World Cup and can capture the imaginations of their locals and neutrals if sold right. Here’s hoping. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

one thing in Jamaica's favour is that their heritage players are largely based in England rather than Australia making it easier (and sadly cheaper is a consideration) for a Jamaica team to play England in England.

Yes this is a very major point. It applies to the Polynesian nations in the SH for whom a tour to the NH outside of a WC may not be affordable. For a nation to take 25 players and say 5 support staff on tour costs alot. Much more affordable if most live local and the distance travelled is small. 

Id also add that having Jamaica play over here for the next few years will help build the support over here for the Jamaican team, making selling tickets to their games easier.

make the decision now that Jamaica games will be held in Leeds and in London, work with the Jamaican communities over here, get some of the players involved in Carnival. If we can get those communities seeing their Jamaica side, live, over the next 3 years then they will build affinity whether as their primary support or as their second team and Jamaica games are ones we can target for big crowds

• Like 2

There is funded Americas Championship coming soon so Jamaica will get some games however the standard will not be high as they will only play the USA, Canada, and Chile.

Lebanon, France, Wales and Jamaica should definitely play a tournament. 

Call it the Atlantic Challenge, NH 4 Nations or get a sponsor and call it the (sponsor's name) challenge.

I think it could generate some interest and draw some decent crowds and provide a good standard if RL

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

Lebanon, France, Wales and Jamaica should definitely play a tournament. 

Call it the Atlantic Challenge, NH 4 Nations or get a sponsor and call it the (sponsor's name) challenge.

I think it could generate some interest and draw some decent crowds and provide a good standard if RL

Like that a lot. Even better if expanded to include Ireland/Scotland/whoever else qualifies from Europe for the WC. Play in 2020. 

Edited by Man of Kent

39 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Like that a lot. Even better if expanded to include Ireland/Scotland/whoever else qualifies from Europe for the WC. Play in 2020. 

Would be a nice way for the NH nations to build up for the WC

I'm confused by the title of this post. Logical and international appearing together in a RL context. I think that's called an oxymoron. 

I'd like to see every RL international have something riding on it. Nations put into tiered groups and p/r up and down. It would have to be by region. Europe would have quite a few groups, the Americas could happen now, the Pacific and finally Asia. The groups wouldn't be large, three or four teams. 

Every nation would get regular internationals, as it would be yearly. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, EF2000 said:

There is funded Americas Championship coming soon so Jamaica will get some games however the standard will not be high as they will only play the USA, Canada, and Chile.

Playing those teams all the time won't really help Jamaica develop. Even less so if all the games are in America. I wonder whether Jamaica could maybe play the USA in Jamaica? That would surely be very marketable?

Aside from that Jamaica really need to be mixing it with France, Wales and Ireland. Headingley would be the obvious 'base' for them in the North 

There's really no excuses for why Jamaica can't play France and Wales, even England next year. Let's be honest all the players will be England based anyway, so it's not like it will be too costly. 

5 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

France v England being lined up for June apparently 

Wednesday night in Leigh?

1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

In France this time. 

Good,

Although that does mean it seems like the RFL are committing whole-heartedly to 2 years out from a World Cup England not playing a home game at all in 23 months.

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

Good,

Although that does mean it seems like the RFL are committing whole-heartedly to 2 years out from a World Cup England not playing a home game at all in 23 months.

Seven Tests involving England players next year + 9s World Cup then an Ashes series then the World Cup. Progress in my book.