The Daddy

Villenueve Leopards

Recommended Posts

Much has been spoken about New York, Dublin and Belgrade applying to the English leagues but not a lot has been said about the Leopards.

What chance have they got of getting the green light and what would they offer? 

They appear to be determined to reach league one. This season they've brought Julien Rinaldi as coach and from what I've heard he's been putting them through their paces. 

Would they manage commercially in the uk and do they have the right management for this task? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Much has been spoken about New York, Dublin and Belgrade applying to the English leagues but not a lot has been said about the Leopards.

What chance have they got of getting the green light and what would they offer? 

They appear to be determined to reach league one. This season they've brought Julien Rinaldi as coach and from what I've heard he's been putting them through their paces. 

Would they manage commercially in the uk and do they have the right management for this task? 

League 1 maybe but the town is the size of Whitehaven so wouldn't know what the long term plan would ever be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Much has been spoken about New York, Dublin and Belgrade applying to the English leagues but not a lot has been said about the Leopards.

What chance have they got of getting the green light and what would they offer? 

They appear to be determined to reach league one. This season they've brought Julien Rinaldi as coach and from what I've heard he's been putting them through their paces. 

Would they manage commercially in the uk and do they have the right management for this task? 

Newspapers prefer to run the "fantasy" style story.

A franchise in Mombasa would get more press than one in Stoke.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Scubby said:

League 1 maybe but the town is the size of Whitehaven so wouldn't know what the long term plan would ever be.

But they are located in the larger catchment area of 'The Lot' which has a population of over 330,000. To be successful they clearly have to reach beyond their village and become a regional team which is what they've proposed previously. It is possible. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Scubby said:

League 1 maybe but the town is the size of Whitehaven so wouldn't know what the long term plan would ever be.

That's precisely my thoughts too. I'm all for more French teams but they should be potential Super League clubs in my opinion and I just don't see Villeneuve being in that bracket.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Avignon-Vaucluse is a much more attractive proposition than Villeneuve from the French rugby league development point of view.  Beautiful ancient city in the southeast,  on the main TGV rail arteries, with a ready made Super League standard stadium, a history of attracting large crowds to major rugby league events, and no major sports team already there to compete with rugby league.

Edited by Manfred Mann
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Much has been spoken about New York, Dublin and Belgrade applying to the English leagues but not a lot has been said about the Leopards.

What chance have they got of getting the green light and what would they offer? 

They appear to be determined to reach league one. This season they've brought Julien Rinaldi as coach and from what I've heard he's been putting them through their paces. 

Would they manage commercially in the uk and do they have the right management for this task? 

When we’re in France, we live reasonably close and, from what I’ve seen, they have some way to go. Evans left them, maybe Rinaldi will improve them, but they didn’t have a lot in attack.  

French clubs have decent stadia, but if we’re promoting VSL we might as well promote West Hull or Siddall.  Both would beat VSL easily enough.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does Villeneuve want to join the British game then? This is news to me, I’ve not seen anything reported. I’ve seen New York and Boston mentioned, Dublin, another Canadian team and of course Red Star Belgrade but nothing about any French team expressing an interest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Does Villeneuve want to join the British game then? This is news to me, I’ve not seen anything reported. I’ve seen New York and Boston mentioned, Dublin, another Canadian team and of course Red Star Belgrade but nothing about any French team expressing an interest. 

You maybe weren’t on the email list.  Press release by the club last year with aspirations to join League 1.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are looking to apply in 2021 or 2022, still a long way to go on and off the field as the current management is essentially rebuilding the club from scratch after taking over in 2015. First step is to be competitive in LER this coming season. They are aiming for the top 6 and to try and bring some juniors through. Doesn't help that they've lost their two best youngsters in the off-season.

Rinaldi is only there for one year so not a part of the long-term plan.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure on spectator support around that part of france. No doubt there still produce strong players and rich history.

Stan robin and barthau are juniors, not sure up the road agen is very anti league and have best stadium in region. I be honest next club past toulouse i say avignon next best option big stadium and spectator support. Alot of current dragons and french players from region garcia, goudmand, julian, gigot and ex dragon yaha. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Newspapers prefer to run the "fantasy" style story.

A franchise in Mombasa would get more press than one in Stoke.

 

 

But let's be realistic. There's more chance of a team popping up in Mombasa than Stoke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Johnoco said:

But let's be realistic. There's more chance of a team popping up in Mombasa than Stoke.

It would be a better away day and we we wouldnt have to worry about the language barrier.

Pretty sure a team did apply at one point from stoke to join the league.

 

 

Edited by TheLegendOfTexEvans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

It would be a better away day and we we wouldnt have to worry about the language barrier

 

I don't know, I thought they spoke English in Stoke?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they can finance it, I'm all for it. They have a lot of history, have shown good support based on very little investment and produced many players in the past. With proper finance, they could push to either level and would provide more players for France.

They have a small village population, but could attract from further afield. Aquitaine Leopards I've seen them refer to themselves as in the past. Probably best way forward for them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, winnyason said:

Not sure on spectator support around that part of france. No doubt there still produce strong players and rich history.

Stan robin and barthau are juniors, not sure up the road agen is very anti league and have best stadium in region. I be honest next club past toulouse i say avignon next best option big stadium and spectator support. Alot of current dragons and french players from region garcia, goudmand, julian, gigot and ex dragon yaha. 

I would be amazed if they entered L1 within 5 years.  That isn't an attempt to discredit them or their aspirations, but surely, topping Elite 1 is the 1st step.  From what ive seen, ( 2 games), theyre a long way from that or even competing with Lezignan, St Esteve etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Jean de Bordeaux said:

VILLENEUVE   .... no Villenueve !

Noted, J de B.  I presume their name means New Town.  If so, out of interest, when was it 'new'?

Edited by Wiltshire Warrior Dragon
to add question
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lowdesert said:

I would be amazed if they entered L1 within 5 years.  That isn't an attempt to discredit them or their aspirations, but surely, topping Elite 1 is the 1st step.  From what ive seen, ( 2 games), theyre a long way from that or even competing with Lezignan, St Esteve etc.

Yeah i be honest avignon next club and could be another catalans on support. 

Imo if villenvue where looking at this maybe play some games in basque region. No idea if they support code at all down there but an absolute rugby hot bed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Villenueve  which one?

Now I know which one I think it is but some talk on here has me less convinced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Noted, J de B.  I presume their name means New Town.  If so, out of interest, when was it 'new'?

Exactly ! Villeneuve means "New town" , from the middle ages ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Oxford said:

Villenueve  which one?

Now I know which one I think it is but some talk on here has me less convinced.

 de la Raho.  Your on the swimming thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Jean de Bordeaux said:

Exactly ! Villeneuve means "New town" , from the middle ages ....

Thanks; I thought so.  I live just outside The New Forest - 'new' when created as a royal hunting forest, that, is by William the Conqueror/William of Normandy in about 1080, but still called The New Forest today!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express Yearbook 2018/19 - Order Now

Rugby League World - Christmas Offer

League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday



Rugby League World - Dec 2018