Sign in to follow this  
The Future is League

If the money is paid up front, yes

Always said since their inception that we should be taking elite games to Canada to showcase the top level of the game. It’s all well and good the lads from Hemel Stags hanging around post-match in Toronto in the beer garden but we also need to showcasing top players to a new and excited audience. 

Would like to see a double header, perhaps with a Canada game included too. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Would like to see a double header, perhaps with a Canada game included too. 

That would be a great idea, and a cracking day :)

• Like 1

Surely a test match in Canada wouldn't have anywhere near the same costs as the match in Denver anyway. Part time teams are already doing the journey anyway and if some sort of Air Transaat sponsorship deal could be arranged then that would reduce costs too. 

• Like 1

for all the Canadians on the board... If we could get it right could an England v France match (without NRL players to keep the game more competitive) be sold to bring a few in from Quebec too?? (only an idea so dont be too harsh but be honest). 

Canada v Jamaica as the warm up?

• Like 3

Tier one test match , great . Anyone who wants to get behind top class internationals should be applauded . More the better 

• Like 3

Regarding the actual article at the start of this thread, I didn't realise that about Matt Cecchin being hounded out of the NRL by the behaviour of certain "supporters". Disgraceful, I'd be happy to see him in SL next year. Also think a Test in Toronto is a cracking idea, I'd certainly go over for it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

I think a test in Toronto is a good idea too.....but I don't think Monkey Lover will be attending.

Me too, although England v France is the most likely option but not what he may be after.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Whippet13 said:

Regarding the actual article at the start of this thread, I didn't realise that about Matt Cecchin being hounded out of the NRL by the behaviour of certain "supporters". Disgraceful, I'd be happy to see him in SL next year. Also think a Test in Toronto is a cracking idea, I'd certainly go over for it.

I'll go for an International not a Toronto game. 

52 posts deleted.  That must be a new record.

Please don't post your legal woes on this public forum.  If you get a court judgement then that's a different matter.

Don't like this moderation?  Contact John Drake via the forum messaging system and ask his opinion, you never know you might even spark some journalistic interest.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Thank God for that ckn.

Personally If we are going to play in NA it does make sense to do it in an area with an RL team.

12 minutes ago, ckn said:

Please don't post your legal woes on this public forum.  If you get a court judgement then that's a different matter.

Don't like this moderation?  Contact John Drake via the forum messaging system and ask his opinion, you never know you might even spark some journalistic interest.

You have also removed anything you don't like not just legal matters.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ckn said:

And I had just got the popcorn ready😞

14 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

You have also removed anything you don't like not just legal matters.

I blanket removed anything discussing the subject of legal matters, regardless of tenuous links. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ckn said:

I blanket removed anything discussing the subject of legal matters, regardless of tenuous links. 

No I said money should be collected up front for any test and it should be a double header involving Canada.

After Denver that's just commonsense.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RP London said:

for all the Canadians on the board... If we could get it right could an England v France match (without NRL players to keep the game more competitive) be sold to bring a few in from Quebec too?? (only an idea so dont be too harsh but be honest). 

Canada v Jamaica as the warm up?

We need to build the Jamaica brand for the next world cup and get sponsors and partners on board like Caribbean radio stations and companies.

32 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Goodness - looks like I missed something... 

i would love us to play France over there. Count me in. 

It is about the least interesting and scandalous legal matter you could have possibly imagined.

But Tonga, Fiji, France, NZ, maybe a Pac Isles side.

Maybe if they are trying to push brand Super League some sort of all star game. Super League England vs Super League All Stars.

England vs.New Zealand with Canada vs. Jamaica or the USA would be perfect.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kayakman said:

England vs.New Zealand with Canada vs. Jamaica or the USA would be perfect.

would england v France work as I wonder if the issues with travel would pop up again if NZ or Tonga were involved?

as much as Canada v USA would be a great "derby" of sorts I think we owe it to Jamaica to get them as many tests as possible in the run up to the world cup now they have qualified.

It would be England France every time for me. The kiwis should be focussing on re building support at home against their strong local opposition. 

• Like 2

Agreed - NZ have a brand to build at home, as do England to be fair!

Tier 1 games so invite Tonga over - there would be the cost of getting them there - NZ have played England too often now and Aus wont so only Tonga left

Better to look at the French angle, get matches between France and Canada in Quebec, France v England in Toronto and England v Canada in either - throw in Jamaica as well as long as its the team that took the field this week v USA - you could even run the knights than full England or a mixture as there are always senior players that can do with the rest, as France no doubt will also look at doing in all bar a Quebec match perhaps. great idea - tier 1 RL is a step up in intensity from international RU and a good RL international will showcase the game to an unbiased and non judgemental audience who do see it as a different sport - brilliant idea.

What this throws up. Which. Is very very.  Worrying is the lack of. Any meaningful matches in the UK at a time when England desperately need to strengthen the international brand. It’s OK gallivanting across the world and developing other markets and it is very admirable and should be part of the wider strategy for the game BUT i want to see England at home play regular matches I can afford to attend AS WELL

The best thing i have seen in the last few weeks is the resurrected idea of getting USA Jamaican and Canadian players off the cap so. We can.  Take them in and develop them and if nothing else it widens the pool and gives teams access to quality athletes they can play in a reserves competition and turn into quality first team players - which only strengthens the national teams. Even reserve level would be an improvement and make them all more competitive on the international stage

I know we are always saying we are skint as a game, but Elstone fond memories of buying in the off season being the paper turner that gets people buying season tickets isn’t right, its unhealthy. That marquee cash could and should go into reserves and that in turn can fire international development because its a far bigger pool and the quality of athlete is there to develop.

Or we can just throw cash at NRL players and the odd England player that doesn’t go to the NRL for our amusement. 

If Argyle wants it i think he will get it and good for him and probably the game as well if he does — but please give me some more England matches i can go and watch and support because that’s important too - and please help those countries we play tier 1 internationals in like Canada and the USA to develop their playing base as it is the international scene that will ultimately grow the sport for us all.

Ill get my coat ......

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kris said:

Agreed - NZ have a brand to build at home, as do England to be fair!

Tier 1 games so invite Tonga over - there would be the cost of getting them there - NZ have played England too often now and Aus wont so only Tonga left

Better to look at the French angle, get matches between France and Canada in Quebec, France v England in Toronto and England v Canada in either - throw in Jamaica as well as long as its the team that took the field this week v USA - you could even run the knights than full England or a mixture as there are always senior players that can do with the rest, as France no doubt will also look at doing in all bar a Quebec match perhaps. great idea - tier 1 RL is a step up in intensity from international RU and a good RL international will showcase the game to an unbiased and non judgemental audience who do see it as a different sport - brilliant idea.

What this throws up. Which. Is very very.  Worrying is the lack of. Any meaningful matches in the UK at a time when England desperately need to strengthen the international brand. It’s OK gallivanting across the world and developing other markets and it is very admirable and should be part of the wider strategy for the game BUT i want to see England at home play regular matches I can afford to attend AS WELL

The best thing i have seen in the last few weeks is the resurrected idea of getting USA Jamaican and Canadian players off the cap so. We can.  Take them in and develop them and if nothing else it widens the pool and gives teams access to quality athletes they can play in a reserves competition and turn into quality first team players - which only strengthens the national teams. Even reserve level would be an improvement and make them all more competitive on the international stage

I know we are always saying we are skint as a game, but Elstone fond memories of buying in the off season being the paper turner that gets people buying season tickets isn’t right, its unhealthy. That marquee cash could and should go into reserves and that in turn can fire international development because its a far bigger pool and the quality of athlete is there to develop.

Or we can just throw cash at NRL players and the odd England player that doesn’t go to the NRL for our amusement. 

If Argyle wants it i think he will get it and good for him and probably the game as well if he does — but please give me some more England matches i can go and watch and support because that’s important too - and please help those countries we play tier 1 internationals in like Canada and the USA to develop their playing base as it is the international scene that will ultimately grow the sport for us all.

Ill get my coat ......

your spot on with this.. BUT.. this does not stop any of the above.. England MUST get more games at home totally agree, but when something like this is on offer we really shouldnt turn it down. Why not have this as part of a 3 game series between england and france (with no NRL players). One in France, One in Canada and one in the north (not leigh) for example. (same away as an origin match is taken to melbourne or adelaide etc). 

England can still then play in the autumn before heading off as GB etc.