Sign in to follow this  
gingerjon

MLB - London Series 2019

Rather belatedly, MLB has announced first pitch times and the range of ticket prices (not the actual breakdown yet) for the games being played at the Olympic Stadium next year.

They've also said which side of the stadium will be Red Sox and which side will be Yankees.

I shall be there for at least one of the games in my Chicago Cubs hat making entirely predictable comments about the designated hitter.

Looking forward to it.

Edited by gingerjon

2 minutes ago, bbfaz said:

I am fascinated as to how they'll set the stadium up.

This is what's on the page at the minute

18481s.gif

Isn't that going to be a tiny outfield with craploads of foul territory?

1 hour ago, bbfaz said:

Isn't that going to be a tiny outfield with craploads of foul territory?

I've not seen the dimensions but it's not going to be the greatest ballpark in history. Plenty have bigger swathes of foul territory though.

I have watched many sports over the years but found few as boring and dull as Baseball. There just seems so little action. I do appreciate it is massive in some places and the national sport of a few but I really just can't see how.

8 minutes ago, Damien said:

I have watched many sports over the years but found few as boring and dull as Baseball. There just seems so little action. I do appreciate it is massive in some places and the national sport of a few but I really just can't see how.

Start here.

2004 American League Championship Series (effectively the semi finals before the 'final' of the World Series). New York are 3 games to 0 up on Boston. Boston always lose to New York. Boston haven't won the World Series since 1917 ...

• Like 1

Whichever TV company decide to broadcast the games (if any, BTSport are the only UK TV service to show MLB), I will bet they get that Mike (whoever), the token yank the BBC uses for NFL UK games to commentate, and whoever is a day off from the football studio, who hasn't got a clue.

1 minute ago, Bleep1673 said:

Whichever TV company decide to broadcast the games (if any, BTSport are the only UK TV service to show MLB), I will bet they get that Mike (whoever), the token yank the BBC uses for NFL UK games to commentate, and whoever is a day off from the football studio, who hasn't got a clue.

If they're smart it'll be Josh Chetwynd sitting next to Jonathan Gould. Both in tuxedos.

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

If they're smart it'll be Josh Chetwynd sitting next to Jonathan Gould. Both in tuxedos.

If it's on Terrestrial it will be on C5, and they haven't got a Dinner jacket (as we call it in the UK) between them.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Except as we're in England they ought to be in Black Tie or Dinner Jackets, or Mess Kit. *

That's the thin end of a wedge you are toying with Mr Jon.

* This also proves it to be Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner. No one would have a Tea Jacket. That's just silly.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

If it's on Terrestrial it will be on C5, and they haven't got a Dinner jacket (as we call it in the UK) between them.

Well said sir.

Standards are in danger of slipping.

3 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Except as we're in England they ought to be in Black Tie or Dinner Jackets, or Mess Kit. *

That's the thin end of a wedge you are toying with Mr Jon.

* This also proves it to be Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner. No one would have a Tea Jacket. That's just silly.

I originally wrote they would be in black ties but then I knew that some filthy minded pervert such as yourself would demand to know where the rest of their clothes were.

26 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

I originally wrote they would be in black ties but then I knew that some filthy minded pervert such as yourself would demand to know where the rest of their clothes were.

I was wondering what was wrong with a dining suit for semi-formal evening wear. 

30 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Thus leaving an open opportunity for me to strike a home run with the Dinner Jacket option.

Oh No, you see what you've done?  that should be "hit it for six" 

I told you. Thin. End. Of. Wedge.

5 minutes ago, Bob8 said:

I was wondering what was wrong with a dining suit for semi-formal evening wear. 

If worn with a  Regimental tie featuring a Double Windsor knot this may be acceptable in less formal company.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Damien said:

The live experience can be deathly dull. Great on TV though.

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Rather belatedly, MLB has announced first pitch times and the range of ticket prices (not the actual breakdown yet) for the games being played at the Olympic Stadium next year.

They've also said which side of the stadium will be Red Sox and which side will be Yankees.

I shall be there for at least one of the games in my Chicago Cubs hat making entirely predictable comments about the designated hitter.

Looking forward to it.

Great choice of team, Sir.

On 11/20/2018 at 2:53 PM, bbfaz said:

The live experience can be deathly dull. Great on TV though.

Very much like NFL. When the Dolphins played the first ever NFL Wembley game, I was there. I have never seen a live game, either in the flesh or on TV. I would rather watch snooker.

Anyway, have so far managed to not get a ticket so this could be a TV affair for me after all ...

3 minutes ago, Bleep1673 said:

Very much like NFL. When the Dolphins played the first ever NFL Wembley game, I was there. I have never seen a live game, either in the flesh or on TV. I would rather watch snooker.

I've been to a few baseball games as an adult.  Went to AT&T Park in San Francisco which is genuinely the best stadium I've ever been too.  All things to all men.  Beautiful setting on the Bay, modern engineering but with a real retro feel.  Amazing food options, not a bad seat in the house and designed for a good atmosphere.  When I went it was dead as a doornail though and the pace of the game was super-slow.

The best live game I've ever been to was to see the Staten Island Yankees, who are the Yankees' Single-A affiliate, right by the St George ferry terminal on Staten Island.  It was a bunch of local Staten Island people (and me, I acquired the imaginative nickname of London) and it was set up to be family-friendly entertainment.  Quicker turnarounds, far fewer lulls in the game and stuff to do for the kids.  It was begging for your attention.  The stadium being excellent is a factor too, I guess.  However, it was just a much more interesting experience than a major league game.

I've been to a couple of the NFL games at Wembley but, like many, if it's not my team, I struggle to get invested.

2 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Anyway, have so far managed to not get a ticket so this could be a TV affair for me after all ...

At those prices they may of done you a favour.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

At those prices they may of done you a favour.  

There are two price points I think are worth it and if those aren't available then, no matter what else is available, I won't be going.