bazzzz65

Catalans v Wigan in Barcelona?

I ve seen something about this but does anyone if it is happening?

As eminently sellable as any SL fixture can be.

Catalans are the nearest club, and have a cultural link with that part of Spain. Wigan are one of the most recognisable club names in Rugby. One is the Wembley winner, one the Old Trafford winner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mathew Shaw in the League Express says its scheduled to be played on 18th May, that's subject to confirmation though he reports all parties are confident it will go ahead. If it happens then it will be the final weekend of the Spanish League season when Barcelona are playing away, apparently that's so work can the be carried out on the pitch

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Mathew Shaw in the League Express says its scheduled to be played on 18th May, that's subject to confirmation though he reports all parties are confident it will go ahead. If it happens then it will be the final weekend of the Spanish League season when Barcelona are playing away, apparently that's so work can the be carried out on the pitch

Interesting timing. A Friday night following on from a weekend of challenge cup fixtures. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Manx RL said:

Interesting timing. A Friday night following on from a weekend of challenge cup fixtures. 

I hadn't realised that it was the week after a challenge cup round but 18th May is a Saturday, it's in line with the day Catalan always play when they are at home and, I would imagine, best for both sets of supporters

• Like 1

Unless they fill the Camp Nou on the first occasion it will be a waste of time. 

^^^^^^Sarcasm^^^^^^

Aa The stumbling block I heard from a supporters club president is that Barcelona said come and play in Barcelona my friend! Then sent a quote of a million euros to cover security, logistics and use of stadium etc, maybe just a rumour but it wouldn't surprise me if true! 

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 2

26 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Hopefully this is sorted ASAP to give fans in both Wigan and Perpignan as much time as possible to plan their trips. 

Agree.... Timing is key. 

8 hours ago, barnyia said:

Aa The stumbling block I heard from a supporters club president is that Barcelona said come and play in Barcelona my friend! Then sent a quote of a million euros to cover security, logistics and use of stadium etc, maybe just a rumour but it wouldn't surprise me if true! 

If that's the case use the Olympic Stadium 

11 hours ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

They have a reserves ground.  they could use Mini Estadi.

Edited by TheLegendOfTexEvans

20 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

If that's the case use the Olympic Stadium 

Is the OS still in use?

Edited by deluded pom?
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

They have a reserves ground.  they could use Mini Estadi.

Or they could just play it at the LSV..

Good old RL mentality.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Is the OS still in use?

Metallica and Ed Sheeran are playing concerts there next year.

image.jpeg

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, deluded pom? said:

Does a football team use it?

No,Espanyol moved out 8 or 9 yrs ago.

12 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

No,Espanyol moved out 8 or 9 yrs ago.

I knew Espanyol had played there and then moved to a new stadium near the airport named after Christano Ronaldo, El Prat. I just wondered if another lower league team had filled the void.

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Play a Catalans game in a nationalists stadium?

Didn’t Warrington play them in their last one? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Play a Catalans game in a nationalists stadium?

Next thing is somebody will be wanting to sing Els Segadors.  Oh hang on, they did, at Wembley before the cup final!

57 minutes ago, Wiltshire Warrior Dragon said:

Next thing is somebody will be wanting to sing Els Segadors.  Oh hang on, they did, at Wembley before the cup final!

I think the point that Tex was trying to make was that it would not be very ‘Catalan’ to play in Espanyol’s stadium. To many Barca fans, to support Real (Royal) Club Deportivo Espanyol is ‘anti- Catalan’. They are seen as the ‘Spanish’ club in Barcelona.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2