Sign in to follow this  
The Future is League

Paul Gallen is on the money

The paper called it an "explosive interview" and a "brutal takedown".

PG said "I’m disappointed", he's "letting the club down".

• Haha 1

I’ve no issue with him going to the NFL but if he’s contracted to Cronulla shouldn’t the NFL ( or whichever club want to sign him) have to pay a transfer fee?

24 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

I’ve no issue with him going to the NFL but if he’s contracted to Cronulla shouldn’t the NFL ( or whichever club want to sign him) have to pay a transfer fee?

They should yes, but I'm sure Holmes has used the same 'loophole' Denny Solomona did when leaving Cas - it'll have been worded that he's retiring from RL, meaning he's essentially free to do as he pleases with his time. In the Solomona case however it was very easy to file a case for compensation against Sale Sharks as he almost immediately joined them. In the case of Holmes any NFL team is not going to entertain paying anything to the Sharks 8+ months after he left them. Sharks could of course pursue Holmes himself if they think he's in some kind of breach of contract but that will be long and drawn out when in the end all they really want is a new winger. 

Edited by hunsletgreenandgold

39 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

They should yes, but I'm sure Holmes has used the same 'loophole' Denny Solomona did when leaving Cas - it'll have been worded that he's retiring from RL, meaning he's essentially free to do as he pleases with his time. In the Solomona case however it was very easy to file a case for compensation against Sale Sharks as he almost immediately joined them. In the case of Holmes any NFL team is not going to entertain paying anything to the Sharks 8+ months after he left them. Sharks could of course pursue Holmes himself if they think he's in some kind of breach of contract but that will be long and drawn out when in the end all they really want is a new winger. 

Needs looking at that. Re solomona: the RFU wouldn’t like it if one of their top players ‘retired’ and then signed for Wigan for example. Could become a big issue in both league and union players trying out American football

Does he have a contract?  If say an accountant has a contract then if he simply says I retire, well he has broken his contract.  The then question is what are his terms.  If he has to serve a period of notice, then that is what he does. 

What terms are a typical sports player then?

NRL players are often reneging on contracts they’ve signed with other NRL clubs and “back flipping” is now commonplace in Australia. I find it funny that this practice seems to be acceptable yet when a lad makes his feelings known and requests an early release (which would surely have to be granted) from a contract to play a different sport, people are calling for a ban. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

NRL players are often reneging on contracts they’ve signed with other NRL clubs and “back flipping” is now commonplace in Australia. I find it funny that this practice seems to be acceptable yet when a lad makes his feelings known and requests an early release (which would surely have to be granted) from a contract to play a different sport, people are calling for a ban. 

There's often a lot of complaints about players reneging on contracts or wanting out to sign for other NRL clubs so it's certainly not considered acceptable.

13 hours ago, wackojacko said:

Can't remember him whining in the press about Segeyaro breaking contract with Leeds to come out and join Cronulla...

Come on mate, be fair he was homesick.

• Haha 1

Paul Gallen is not on the money, he`s a hypocritical drugs cheat talking through his arris.

Edited by dkw

Typical... someone high profile gets asked an opinion on an issue ... they give it! Then suddenly the reaction is personal abuse, why this persons opinion is useless or irrelevant or laughable.

I personally don’t like people who break their promises... as a sharks fan ( which I still am but now only from a distance) I cancelled my membership when the Dank scandal broke... players get better contract offers for longer commitment... Holmes either lied about his intention when signing the contract... or doesn’t value his integrity in honouring his commitment. 

Arguing about some comment his team mate made to the press doesn’t change that!

footnote....

although it does seem strange that, after a couple of years talking about being homesick and moving closer to his family in North Queensland when his contract expires he is now planning to move across the world to try and play a game he has no knowledge of and in an alien environment and culture. 

On 11/22/2018 at 10:44 AM, Allora said:

be fair he was homesick.

like Joel Moon, you mean?

• Haha 1

On 11/21/2018 at 9:04 PM, wackojacko said:

Can't remember him whining in the press about Segeyaro breaking contract with Leeds to come out and join Cronulla...

Yeah but Segayaro was rubbish and nobody really cares!