Sign in to follow this  
slowdive

Which young Catalans will breakthrough next year?

I would say that Goudemand and Da Costa established themselves as Super League players last year.  This year maybe Belmas and Albert could do the same?  Both got game time last year but I don't think they were quite there yet.  Catalans could do with some more backs coming though as well.  What about Romano?

Morgue is the future but i doubt he'll get much game time,  the 28 year old prop barthes is training with the first team squad after being announced at Palau but went back to xiii Catalans as hes been added to the training squad,  

Pomeroy has signed for xiii Catalans for the reserve team so maybe he'll be emergency cover for the first team as well as mentoring the younger reserve players, 

• Thanks 1

Bartes had a decent spell at Barrow last season too. He was at Stade Toulousain as a youngster before switching codes. Late developer.I bumped into Ben Pomeroy on the return flight from Manchester after the GF. He had two short stints at the Wire at the same time as turning out for Lezignan. Arrived at the Dragons in 2014 and never really went back home. Family well entrenched down on the Mediterranean its seems.

Belmas will hopefully get more game time than last year, which was zero prior to the Middle 8s. Jordan Flovie might get a chance if they don't sign any more wingers. Romano and Mourgue should play but probably won't. As for the rest, I guess it will depend if any of them step up in LER.

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I’d have thought Seguir might be in with a shot 

Doubt he'll make it.

Flovie's twin brother has moved to nearby Palau where Olivier Elima is coach. Jordan really pushing to make his mark in 2019. Hear he's put on 5 kilos or more close season- hopefully not losing pace in the process.Mourgue just one debut SL appearance last term while 20 yr old Albert has now accumulated what 40 matches in the first team. Be interesting to see how they both go in 2019.

I think sometime in the next year or two, Albert is going to explore. He's a very talented player. Like all young halves, he needs the right environment around him, as well as a bit of time and patience. Catalans seem to have that right environment now and with guys like Tomkins and Smith there, he's got a few old pros to learn from. So hopefully it's the perfect situation for him to keep developing his game.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

I think sometime in the next year or two, Albert is going to explore. He's a very talented player. Like all young halves, he needs the right environment around him, as well as a bit of time and patience. Catalans seem to have that right environment now and with guys like Tomkins and Smith there, he's got a few old pros to learn from. So hopefully it's the perfect situation for him to keep developing his game.

Agreed. I think Albert will come of age soon. He became a pro very young at 17 years old and a Lot of expectation was placed on his shoulders. He very much reminds me of Kevin Sinfield similar build, style of play and had a similar start to his career. 

Below the likes of Da Costa, Belmas, Albert and Goudemand there is Sebastian Bled who looks like the best back rower to come out of France in the pro era. And there's also Robin Brochon a winger who I rate very highly. 

2 hours ago, ghost crayfish said:

I wonder where he is thinking of going

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, The Daddy said:

Agreed. I think Albert will come of age soon. He became a pro very young at 17 years old and a Lot of expectation was placed on his shoulders. He very much reminds me of Kevin Sinfield similar build, style of play and had a similar start to his career. 

Really? I think his style of play couldn’t be any more different than Sinfield. He’s more subtle in the Cronk style of play but his build is now more Sandow esque!