Christmas and hypocrites who celebrate it

'Tis the season. For Christians only. Not atheists or muslims.  

If you're not celebrating the arrival of the creator and saviour of the world, what exactly are you celebrating?

Beer?

Greed? 

Lust?

Christmas in the UK is sadly a commercial farce these days. 

Please remember the 'reason for the season'.

Jesus came and died that you may live ?

Celebration of the winter solstice pre dates Christianity by millennia. The Christians just hijacked it and gave it a new name. So, whoever you are, and whatever you believe in (or not), fill yer boots.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

7 minutes ago, Griff9of13 said:

Celebration of the winter solstice pre dates Christianity by millennia. The Christians just hijacked it and gave it a new name. So, whoever you are, and whatever you believe in (or not), fill yer boots.

Most Pagan claims centre around the solstice. Christmas is actually later. No festivals have been hijacked. 

HTH

Does that mean I don’t have to buy those expensive presents my wife wants?

Merry Christmas from me, the atheist, and my Hindu wife ? 

Christmas is about that fat lad in the red suit with white trim, isn’t it?

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

Best not think too hard about Father Christmas, trees, yule logs, holly and ivy...

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 minute ago, costa said:

Such ignorance displayed on this thread. 

Christ-mas (the clue is in the name) is about worshipping the saviour and celebrating his birth. 

Oh!

I'm as atheist as they come so I'll be honest and say I just like the carols, the presents and I guess the nostalgia for Christmases past.

These Christians hijacked our noble pagan celebrations for their 'Christ Mass' so I feel no guilt about hijacking their weird (and frankly utterly unrelated to Christ) traditions for my own purposes.

He will be too busy celebrating Hanukkah right now..

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

I'm just grateful, genuinely so, that we have a society where if you want to celebrate Christmas as a sincere reflection of your joy of Christ's birth, then you can. And if you want to celebrate spreading a bit of joy via the giving of Pandora tokens and Nintendo Switch games you can do that too.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, M j M said:

I'm as atheist as they come so I'll be honest and say I just like the carols, the presents and I guess the nostalgia for Christmases past.

These Christians hijacked our noble pagan celebrations for their 'Christ Mass' so I feel no guilt about hijacking their weird (and frankly utterly unrelated to Christ) traditions for my own purposes.

Is it all religious festivals you find wierd? Would you say the same about Eid or Bayram celebrations? Hannukah?

Just now, Niels said:

Is it all religious festivals you find wierd? Would you say the same about Eid or Bayram celebrations? Hannukah? 

I find all religions strange and have difficulty taking devout followers seriously. They are all equally odd to me and, likewise, I find it difficult to see one religious sect claiming they are superior compared to another.

But I have a strange suspicion about the underlying reason for your post.

5 minutes ago, M j M said:

That's funny I have the same feeling about every post.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Just now, M j M said:

I find all religions strange and have difficulty taking devout followers seriously. They are all equally odd to me and, likewise, I find it difficult to see one religious sect claiming they are superior compared to another.

l wonder what your suspicion is?

I just wondered whether you would be as forthright in your criticisms of other religions' festivals.

Whether you would actually write that you found Eid or Hannukah to be wierd. You haven't by the way.

I just find that people are confident to say things about Christmas that they are not about other religious festivals. 

Just now, Niels said:

l wonder what your suspicion is?

I just wondered whether you would be as forthright in your criticisms of other religions' festivals. 

Whether you would actually write that you found Eid or Hannukah to be wierd. You haven't by the way.

I just find that people are confident to say things about Christmas that they are not about other religious festivals.  

You seem to want to push everything into some odd "Christians are persecuted" hole.

I haven't studied the traditions of Eid or Hannukah since I was at school whereas I am culturally Christian and know full well about the traditions of Christmas. But since the underlying nature of the other celebrations presumably involves some equally odd Sky God I'm sure it will be suitably weird. I hope that soothes your sensitivity.

36 minutes ago, costa said:

Christ-mas (the clue is in the name) is about worshipping the saviour and celebrating his birth. 

Don’t we have a national “thing” these days about middle-eastern illegal immigrants?

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

I grapple with this every year, but not on a religious basis. For some, it is clearly very much that, for others it is a winter festival and for some, it’s just what they are used to.

What gets me going is the amount of money spent on ‘honouring’ the tradition. It’s everyone’s decision what they spend, but I see society indirectly pressing those who can’t afford it, to over-stretch their budgets and rack up the debt.

Whatever you make of the Christmas period, I hope it fills you with joy, spending time with the ones you love/whose company you enjoy. Take a break, have a beer and enjoy.

37 minutes ago, costa said:

Can you provide the evidence that this the date of birth of Jesus, like a copy of his birth certificate?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

Archived