London Broncos/Ealing new stand

2 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Depends if Ealing are willing to sell I imagine 

ETRUFC don't own the ground. They are the lead tenants. It is owned by Traildinders charitable wing and there is currently no reason to believe they want to cash in on the site.

Rumours elsewhere suggest further expansion to 10k may follow if ETRUFC are promoted. Given the location, lack of parking etc I'd be surprised if that got permission though they obviously know more about their links with the council than I do.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

I tend to agree that a new stand behind the sticks is likely to add 3,000 capacity. Such a stand would dwarf the other three sides. If they added 1,200 or so at that end it would be great.

D'ya reckon? 3,000 is pretty big for any ground, let alone a suburban London ground like Trailfinders.

I've read previously they were planning to build a 1,040 stand to meet minimum requirements this winter....

12 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

D'ya reckon? 3,000 is pretty big for any ground, let alone a suburban London ground like Trailfinders.

I've read previously they were planning to build a 1,040 stand to meet minimum requirements this winter....

I actually meant 'unlikely.' Oops.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

1 minute ago, Just Browny said:

I actually meant 'unlikely.' Oops.

Ah, right. No worries.

I heard Santa might be getting me a season ticket for the Broncos next season, so I'm interested to see how the ground progresses.

I'm not sure if the new stand will boost capacity all that much. Depends on how much was attributed to the standing room behind those sticks.

Also, I wonder if the new stand will be given to away support (as that area seemed to be for away fans for big games last season). 

London Irish have formally announced they are moving to Brentford's new stadium for the 2020/21 season. Won't have much of a direct impact on the Broncos, besides being another pro sports club in London and there are already plenty of those. And the Broncos will always be a niche offering anyway.

It will have a huge impact on Ealing Trailfinders though. It was also going to be very difficult for them to grow their fanbase beyond current levels, this move will make that next to impossible. And that could have a knock-on effect on any future expansion at TSC.

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."

Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

2 hours ago, nadera78 said:

London Irish have formally announced they are moving to Brentford's new stadium for the 2020/21 season. Won't have much of a direct impact on the Broncos, besides being another pro sports club in London and there are already plenty of those. And the Broncos will always be a niche offering anyway.

It will have a huge impact on Ealing Trailfinders though. It was also going to be very difficult for them to grow their fanbase beyond current levels, this move will make that next to impossible. And that could have a knock-on effect on any future expansion at TSC.

I've always thought that this was a big opportunity lost for the Broncos and Rugby League. Hopefully though the RFL will have the nouse to play mid season England matches there against France at least once a year. It is a perfect size for these lesser matches and allows more matches in the capital, which will be better attended and offer better media opportunities than a match in Leigh.

• 2 months later...
On 12/18/2018 at 9:10 AM, nadera78 said:

or it could mean if Broncos can get it right they can become more and more important to the venture... not necessarily of course but its a possibility.

• 3 weeks later...

Unfortunately when I played RL in London, I played for Ealing, but LB of Ealing wouldn't let us play in the London Borough of Ealing, so we had to move to Harlesden which is in Brent, which made us change our name to Brent-Ealing ARLFC.

I often wonder what happened to the guy who held B-EARLFC together, a Kiwi called Mick McCoombe, or his brother George.

1 minute ago, Bleep1673 said:

Unfortunately when I played RL in London, I played for Ealing, but LB of Ealing wouldn't let us play in the London Borough of Ealing.

I wish to point out that it was not unfortunate that I played for Ealing, I had a great 4 seasons there, it was unfortunate that LB Ealing wouldn't let us play in the Borough. They said, something along the lines of, We don't want you here. They said all their Rugby Pitches were busy on a Sunday, which was BS.

3 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

I wish to point out that it was not unfortunate that I played for Ealing, I had a great 4 seasons there, it was unfortunate that LB Ealing wouldn't let us play in the Borough. They said, something along the lines of, We don't want you here. They said all their Rugby Pitches were busy on a Sunday, which was BS.

Well now Broncos players do rugby sessions in Ealing schools so at least there has been some progress.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

55 minutes ago, latchford albion said:

Well now Broncos players do rugby sessions in Ealing schools so at least there has been some progress.

Have heard 1st hand from the schools involved that the kids are really enjoying the rugby sessions and the literacy work is helping. Broncos should be publicising the community work in schools a lot more.

On 2/19/2019 at 2:34 PM, westlondonfan said:

I really think the Broncos should try and do a long-term deal to stay at Trailfinders now. 

Does anyone know what guarantees the Broncos has? I suspect if Ealing get into an enlarged and ringfenced Premiership then their stay might be cut short.

On 12/17/2018 at 2:43 PM, Ivarr the Boneless said:

ETRUFC don't own the ground. They are the lead tenants. It is owned by Traildinders charitable wing and there is currently no reason to believe they want to cash in on the site.

Rumours elsewhere suggest further expansion to 10k may follow if ETRUFC are promoted. Given the location, lack of parking etc I'd be surprised if that got permission though they obviously know more about their links with the council than I do.

Why should lack of parking be a problem? Shouldn't progressive sports clubs/local authorities be looking to eradicate fans driving to their local games as much as possible, especially in one of the most polluted cities in Europe?? Given London has such a huge and wide ranging public transport network and the fact it's a summer sport, maybe we/RFL and clubs should be looking at alternates for local fans to easily and safely get to the games? Also it would mean not having to buy extra land or put pressure on local residents which is a massive problem at many grounds. Driving a few miles to grounds, often less than 3 is a real problem that is replicated with commuting/utility journeys, why do we need to exacerbate that further?

I doubt many Broncos fans who do live locally drive there. I also doubt many Broncos fans live locally (personally I'm Hampshire and I know others travelling much further. I do tend to go by public transport, about 105 minutes each way. Driving is about 45 minutes. Perhaps unsurprisingly the other fans I know who live out here usually drive.)

This is partially a legacy both of the regular moves across London. I lived in South East London way back and started watching Broncos regularly at Charlton. It's also related to the fact Broncos are the only top level club for miles so if you live down south and want to watch that level you travel.

Clearly if Broncos put down long term roots the hope would be to build a more local fan base and at that point parking may be less relevant. However as long as Broncos have a dispersed fan base and large numbers of away fans travel by car, I would expect strong objections from local residents to any substantial increase in capacity.

Whether parking is a material planning point will depend on Ealing's local plan, which I haven't read.

Archived