Sign in to follow this  
Cumbrian Fanatic

Oledzki Signs 4 Year Deal

Recommended Posts

He was immense at the Bulls in 2017 for his age. I think the way he is gong he will certainly get international honours. We seem to be once again having some superb forwards coming through if they develop the way they have shown so far

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

Fantastic prospect for Leeds, really pleased to get him signed up. Best front row prospect since maybe Graham imo

Not for me. He is a big lump that makes yards for fun. In time he will get better at not spilling the ball, positional play and his defence should come along with that too. He will ultimately be the Garbutt replacement.

Graham is a completely different animal, a genuine modern forward that has a rugby brain, he is relatively good with his hands and has a fantastic engine for a big lad. Graham in his pomp would make any team in the world and this lad wont IMO.

I am glad we have snapped him up long term however as he will do a job for us.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, MyMrsWouldPreferSinfield said:

Not for me. He is a big lump that makes yards for fun. In time he will get better at not spilling the ball, positional play and his defence should come along with that too. He will ultimately be the Garbutt replacement.

Graham is a completely different animal, a genuine modern forward that has a rugby brain, he is relatively good with his hands and has a fantastic engine for a big lad. Graham in his pomp would make any team in the world and this lad wont IMO.

I am glad we have snapped him up long term however as he will do a job for us.

I'm not saying he is a similar player to Graham, but I'm not sure I've seen a better front row prospect come through in SL since him. 

I'm confident he will make international level and be a far better player than Garbutt who whilst he munched metres couldn't do big minutes and was sometimes a bit lazy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I'm not saying he is a similar player to Graham, but I'm not sure I've seen a better front row prospect come through in SL since him. 

I'm confident he will make international level and be a far better player than Garbutt who whilst he munched metres couldn't do big minutes and was sometimes a bit lazy. 

Fair point. I hope you are right. He has the size to be very menacing indeed.

I would say he is more of a Walmsley type player and if he matures to be nearly as good Leeds will have done well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I'm not saying he is a similar player to Graham, but I'm not sure I've seen a better front row prospect come through in SL since him. 

I'm confident he will make international level and be a far better player than Garbutt who whilst he munched metres couldn't do big minutes and was sometimes a bit lazy. 

Yeah he's cut more from the Burgess twins cloth than Sam/Graham. Potential to be the 'go forward' for Leeds for many years to come - just has some defensive naiveties sometimes which i'm sure Furner will iron out in time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

am sure he will crack on with the job at fev, does some dumb stuff at times but sure looks the part. just a better option than keegan hirst for me.:wild:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember him on loan at Bradford last year (or was it the year before?) He's a beast a nd still very young - terrific prospect and a top lad. I wish him nothing but the best.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We don't need Oledzki to play for England. We need him to play for Poland.

If Oledzki could inspire other Polish immigrants in the UK to play rugby league, and the RLEF could start up grass roots development in Poland, then maybe we could have a strong Polish national team.

Edited by Manfred Mann

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

We don't need Oledzki to play for England. We need him to play for Poland.

If Oledzki could inspire other Polish immigrants in the UK to play rugby league, and the RLEF could start up grass roots development in Poland, then maybe we could have a strong Polish national team.

While I understand the logic, that is a lot of responsibility to put on him. Let the kid just play without anyone trying to push an agenda.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Why does this distictly average player require his own thread for what amounts to him signing a contract WOW - happens every day in RL.

Yes. I can't wait until we stop talking about rugby players and get back to 80-page league structure threads.

He's a big lad, but he has a bit of development to go before he becomes a good prop. Four years at Leeds gives him the time and a top-class environment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Why does this distictly average player require his own thread for what amounts to him signing a contract WOW - happens every day in RL.

Because he is Polish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's raw, which is understandable as he hadnt touched a rugby ball until he was a teenager. What people, who know what theyr talking about, are excited about  are his rare physical attributes and how quickly he's doing what he's doing. Most Bradford fans iv talked to agree he was very good for them in the championship as an 18 yearold, he was the best forward on the pitch for England knights in the second test against PNG having just turned 20. 

He's a massive lad but theres loads of massive lads playing Rugby, what sets Mikolaj apart from most of them is that he's a great athlete to go with it and his workrates very good for a lad his size.

He's never going to be a skilled forward, but like the Burgess twins have showed, you dont have to be a great rugby player to be a very effective, international rugby player, if you'v got dominant physical attributes, which Mikolaj has. Lewis Bienek at Hull is another exciting  20 yearold whos got similar dominant  physical attributes.

Edited by rhinos78
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

Because he is Polish.

Seriously! How desperate are we in this sport? So one young player of Polish origin is going to spark a surge of interest amongst his fellow countryman for a game they have absolutely zero interest in. You honestly think that's how it happens? Well it doesn't and it won't make an ounce of difference just like it didn't with Klienhorst the last Leeds player this ludicrous theory was peddled out for. I'm yet to see the German people embrace our rather obscure northern sport - lets get real.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Why does this distinctly average player require his own thread 

I'm assuming you're fishing for a reaction with this, because he's FAR from being 'distinctly average'.

He's a long way from being the finished article yet, but if he continues to develop at the current rate I would fully expect him to be one of the top props in SL within two years. He'll then probably start getting some interest from the NRL

Good luck to the lad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

I'm assuming you're fishing for a reaction with this, because he's FAR from being 'distinctly average'.

He's a long way from being the finished article yet, but if he continues to develop at the current rate I would fully expect him to be one of the top props in SL within two years. He'll then probably start getting some interest from the NRL

Good luck to the lad

I've seen him a few times, he's average to my eyes, you see it differently, live with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

I've seen him a few times, he's average to my eyes, you see it differently, live with it.

Well, obviously I do 'live with it'

More importantly the Rhinos 'see it differently', hence the four-year contract to ward off potential suitors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Just Browny said:

You seem a bit obsessed with his nationality to be honest.

His nationality is an opportunity, not a handicap.

There are one million Poles living in the UK. If, with the help of Oledzki, we could get just 1% of them interested in rugby league then that would be 10,000 more rugby league supporters and possibly a few hundred Polish players in the game.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2018 at 3:06 PM, Kirmonds pouch said:

Seriously! How desperate are we in this sport? So one young player of Polish origin is going to spark a surge of interest amongst his fellow countryman for a game they have absolutely zero interest in. You honestly think that's how it happens? Well it doesn't and it won't make an ounce of difference just like it didn't with Klienhorst the last Leeds player this ludicrous theory was peddled out for. I'm yet to see the German people embrace our rather obscure northern sport - lets get real.

Well I don't think a great deal of Germans live around Leeds compared to Poles- I would say it's almost a given that a few Poles will go and watch Leeds play this season where if this lad wasn't playing they probably wouldn't. Of those few some may just like the sport and continue watching.

Same as UK fans watching the NRL when Burgess etc are playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday




League Express - Online Now

Rugby League World - Issue 453 - Out Now