Old grounds

Mr Plow

13 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

It’s crazy to see how much Batley has changed and it’s testament to the people there that they’ve managed to do so much on such modest income, having never been in Super League. 

Fair play to them. 

It certainly is and should be a lesson to other clubs. Running a sustainable club and living within your means is more than possible for every club. 

43 minutes ago, Damien said:

It certainly is and should be a lesson to other clubs. Running a sustainable club and living within your means is more than possible for every club. 

It is if you're slap bang in the middle of the M62 corridor.

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

It’s crazy to see how much Batley has changed and it’s testament to the people there that they’ve managed to do so much on such modest income, having never been in Super League. 

Fair play to them. 

Dewsbury have come along way as well since the old Crown Flatt

81D6B265-8E4A-45DD-AF3A-D66694048167.jpeg

6A799986-616E-4646-91E2-BBFC70027027.jpeg

39078930-F255-4CDC-818F-869DB719D468.jpeg

FF1BB2D7-603A-4AFE-A011-FEA6B7042DD0.jpeg

58 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

McLaren Field, Bramley, has changed quite a lot since I made this August 1986 visit!

Remembering Bramley Pushing Up Daisies

Always remember how those floodlight poles used to sway in the slightest of breezes, think they were permanently bowed, the roof of the shed from the previous ground was still visible over the bottom corner of the ground.

47 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Always remember how those floodlight poles used to sway in the slightest of breezes, think they were permanently bowed, the roof of the shed from the previous ground was still visible over the bottom corner of the ground.

I loved going to McClaren field as a boy. 

I also went to the old greyhound stadium to watch New Hunslet.

Snap!! Those photos of McLaren Field certainly brings back memories and of Barley Mow, also went to the Greyhound stadium a few times too, used to breakin at the back of the stadium without paying, as a young lad and watch the racing, hope the police don't read this!!

I don't really remember these grounds though I visited most of them as a 9/10 year old when FC were in the 2nd Div in my first season (78/79). I'd walk the 3/4 mile to aunties for Sunday lunch then get in for free as she worked in the club bar and uncle worked on the ground at the boulevard. Never felt odd standing there on my 'own' amongst other strangers but we used to go on a coach to many of the away games.

MP,  Wigginton rd, Station rd, Tattersfield, Lawkholme lane and a few others I went to that season and was like many kids BITD a bit of a programme hoarder, such happy days!

Always enjoyed my visits to Clarence Street, a proper RL ground especially with a large crowd on, I went to a cup-tie against Leeds can't recall if it was there or at Bootham Cresent now, think the crowd was about 11,000 so probably Bootham then, the atmosphere was fantastic that I do recall. New Hunslet at the greyhound stadium too, wasn't too bothered about the tuning fork posts but the grass seemed to be upto the players knees! As for Belle Vue I recall my dad taking me there when they switched on their floodlights, might have been against Australia or New Zealand, and that was a big crowd and that special atmosphere you used to get on a autum evening under lights. The game has given me lots of special memories over the year's that's why it's so sad to see the predicament some of it's oldest member's find themselves in now, but everything changes I suppose.

Those photos bring back a lot of memories. The one of Clarence St in particular. I remember going there with Hornets in the early 1970's  for a Challenge Cup game. It had snowed over night but the game was deemed on when the coaches set off from Rochdale.

Me and my pal were stood on that open end behind the posts and the ground was packed. I think the gate was 6 or 7 thousand. Anyway about 20 minutes before the start of the game it started snowing again ! It was driving straight into our faces .If it hadn't have been a cup tie with a big  crowd it would have been called off.

I'd never been so cold I'm my life. My pal had a flask of whisky that saved my life.

To cap it all Hornets lost 12-7 and the bloody coach broke down on the way back over the Pennines !

I love the old grounds,full of atmosphere and old world charm,full to the brim with character. I loved going to watersheddings before they built house's on it. My personal favourite is cougar park,I just hope they can sort the club out. But yes I'd take an old ground over one of these characterless, featureless grounds they're building now.

42 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

I love the old grounds,full of atmosphere and old world charm,full to the brim with character. I loved going to watersheddings before they built house's on it. My personal favourite is cougar park,I just hope they can sort the club out. But yes I'd take an old ground over one of these characterless, featureless grounds they're building now.

Cougar Park (when it was Lawkholme Lane)...

12791621005_a1c9707a5b_k.jpg

One things for certain, old stadiums in their pomp had far more character than the current batch. Even the KC which I would say is the best, visually, still is pretty dull in comparison. I know time has moved on and bespoke detail just adds to the cost but with most new stadiums it could be the same one just picked up and plonked in another town. 

Archived