Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Futtocks

Confirmed: Wolfpack buy stake in Skolars

Just now, Bob8 said:

If you think it is sensible to expect lots of local players before about ten years, you are an idiot.  I assume you are not.

Of course not but I would expect some player development programmes at this point. I have asked Canadian fans several times to point me in the right direction of Wolfpack-backed schemes to get local children playing rugby league to no avail.

Argyle uses every opportunity to say he wants to get rugby balls in kids’ hands (never ‘rugby league balls’, mind) but where are they? Maybe they are about to roll out something soon but if so why the secrecy?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Of course not but I would expect some player development programmes at this point. I have asked Canadian fans several times to point me in the right direction of Wolfpack-backed schemes to get local children playing rugby league to no avail.

Argyle uses every opportunity to say he wants to get rugby balls in kids’ hands (never ‘rugby league balls’, mind) but where are they? Maybe they are about to roll out something soon but if so why the secrecy?

I would persume, that because it is not 1972, rugby league has to be established as a aspirational headline sport and the club proven to be viable first.  i.e. give it five years.  But, I am guessing and I would be stupid to demand it is on my terms.

There are valid criticisms.  Many of Legend of Tex Evans criticisms are fair, but he is capable of two way communication.  Parksider is either an unthinking idiot or a troll to be pretending to be an unthinking idiot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

15 hours ago, The Parksider said:

You don't WANT to see the problem with this investment. Like so many TWP apologists you don't want to admit that TWP have failed miserably to do any of the things they actually said they would do, and were granted a place in the RFL to consequently deliver on. For the life of me I cannot recall Mr. Perez saying "we have been accepted into the RFL because we promised a "new Impetus" to Mr. Wood and told Mr. Rimmer  "we would get the game "press coverage" .  Time and time again in this "debate" people know TWP have failed to deliver the criteria they were accepted into the RFL to deliver on, so they re-invent their own different criteria to use to declare them a success. 

Who is to say they are expected to have delivered anything yet? They have always said it was a five year plan, let's see where they are in five years.

It's like having a school assignment due. Some people get started as soon as possible,  some people do other things and then do the whole assignment just before its due. People and organizations work in different ways.

Good heavens man when you talk about English clubs looking at making their business models "similar to TWP" do you want them all to not bother with player development either? Do you want them to just pump out PR garbage about how wonderful the are? Should Wigan close their academy and just pump out stupid press releases to be on a par with TWP?

Not at all, another poster is just as blind as you, OR hasn't got the guts to admit he swallowed all of Perez's nonsense. Let us once again set out what the criteria for TWP's entry to the RFL actually was.........

You taking a presser quote as hard-defined "criteria" says more about you than it does about the Toronto Wolfpack (or their now - departed, ie irrelevant, Perez).

"When we started  we knew that one team is not enough. Now that Toronto is up and running it's time to get the next team set up (Montreal for 2019).

For who to set up?

He didn't say "we are going to". Do you think that either the club or the person agreed in a contract to deliver a second club?

We are looking to make Super League the most commercially viable competition. To do that you need to have at least five or six (North American) clubs in SL in the next 10 years,

You need. The RFL. Toronto doesn't need other clubs, the RFL does. Of course, the RFL could have made it TWP's or Eric's obligation to do so. 

Do you think they did?

We will be working with the CRL to develop a strong talent pool focusing on investing in player development here in Canada so that we can build our homegrown talent”. 

Eric Perez

Eric Perez.  No longer with the organization.  It is common for organizations to change tactics or strategies when new leadership comes in (see multiple threads regarding RFL and SL leadership).

Why would anything a previous leadership said matter, after they've left?

This is exactly what Perez promised

No he didn't,  he presented the vision of how it could work. He did not agree to guarantee to deliver anything himself.

, to bring in more NA clubs, to develop NA players, to create a transatlantic Superleague and obtain a massive NA TV deal.

He said that's what it would take for that to happen. He did not say that he himself was going to deliver this.

The RFL could have made that a condition of TWP'S entry. They did not. (Prove otherwise if you can).

Therefore,  nobody at the RFL can be upset if those things aren't delivered to them.

However, if they do want those things, and if they didn't require Toronto to be the one to deliver them, then it is the RFL's responsibility to go out and do the work to get it done.

Headtackle has probably had too many actual head tackles

Here you go again with insults

to seriously believe TWP have delivered anything at all. The north american dream is dead

I don't think you have any grounds to make that claim until the 5 year plan has been implemented.

which is why Argyle is getting a foothold here,

Most successful people have "more than iron in the fire" .

which every SL chairman will want, because the bottom line is that not one of the SL chairmen are stupid enough to believe that there will ever be  "5-6 North American clubs" producing Superleague quality players

Odd, I didn't see any mention of Super League quality players in that quote you posted.

that will then lead to a Transatlantic league attracting a $$Billion dollar NATV deal. Nor are they stupid enough to reject out of hand a $$Billionaire investor.

Perez tried it on on the basis the World cup was provisionally awarded to Canada and the USA,

What are you talking about now? I don't believe Perez had anything to do with the world cup bid, that was Jason Moore. I'm also pretty sure that TwP came about much before the WC idea.

and fair enought it could have brought some investment. But it failed in Denver and was therefore withdrawn, so there is no chance anyone in North American will invest a cent in Rugby league there.It's 100% Union.

In terms of team sports, North America is probably like 30% Football, 20% basketball, 20% baseball, 10%Hockey, 10 % soccer... that leaves 10% for anything that isn't a big 5 sport. Rugby of any kind is still smaller than curling, lacrosse, volleyball, etc. Not to mention tennis, golf and other individual sports. So less than 1% is rugby? For Rugby league to spend it's time worrying what 1% of the sports landscape is doing,  and ignoring 90%, is by definition, small thinking.

Every SL chairman will be encouraging the Australian Billionaire to come here and invest his money, and they are, on the basis of this article 25% of the way there...........

(I await a stupid comment that fails to engage in the debate because the poster has no answer)......

........wait for it......here it comes....

5 hours ago, headtackle said:

Just make it that they cant play each other in a cup comp and while common ownership cannot play in the same divsion

Wouldnt be uncommon or hard to fix. The Champions League draw is like that until the very late rounds and Spanish football similar. 

I'm curious why you think this? What's the actual problem here? Each club has a separate president, board, coach etc all the way down through the organization.  Each trying to do their best. What's the harm in seeing them play against each other and see who is doing better? 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, TheReaper said:

I'm curious why you think this? What's the actual problem here? Each club has a separate president, board, coach etc all the way down through the organization.  Each trying to do their best. What's the harm in seeing them play against each other and see who is doing better? 

Its just the usual way of doing things to avoid conflicts of interest or allegations of potential conflicts of interest and protect the integrity of the game.

Not really. CFL had shared ownership up until 3 years ago or so. MLS had like three owners for the whole league at one point until they became more sustainable.  Bob Young owns Forge FC as well as backing the Wanderers, and rumoured to be doing the same for a future Kitchener team, in the CPL.

Well, @The Parksider, any reply to the above?  Since you claim to be willing to debate? There's lots there, you could even ignore some of it for the first round and we'll circle back? 

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 7:16 PM, TheReaper said:

Well, @The Parksider, any reply to the above?  Since you claim to be willing to debate? There's lots there, you could even ignore some of it for the first round and we'll circle back? 

As ever his pathetic whining about no one wanting to debate with him is shown to be yet more fantasy on his part, he's a troll and is best placed on ignore. 

Edited by dkw
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

News today on the club website that some of the new investment has been used to appoint a community engagement officer to build connections with the local community in Harringey. Brilliant the club is committed to building RL locally. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

News today on the club website that some of the new investment has been used to appoint a community engagement officer to build connections with the local community in Harringey. Brilliant the club is committed to building RL locally. 

Smashing news!!

16 hours ago, EssexRL said:

To save time and the inevitable arguments, can you guarantee that you'll have developed SL quality players by this time next week?

• Haha 8

8 hours ago, Ackroman said:

To save time and the inevitable arguments, can you guarantee that you'll have developed SL quality players by this time next week?

Absolutely at the very latest. 

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 7:16 PM, TheReaper said:

No, not really. There’s nothing much to debate now…........................

No player development

No grid iron players

No big TV deal to share here

No more NA clubs

No World Cup in NA

No Perez

North American RU professionalising

Game over. There is a debate in terms of Argylle’s exit strategy and that can be a very positive one.  It would be a powerful boost to the game if he committed his investment in full to London and one can only hope him dropping to 51% at Wolfpack and going 25% at Skolars is a signal he is actually doing that rather than trying to claim he's now "developing players" per se.  I can't see McNeil being a stooge.

I don't think Argylle pretending TWP are now a world renowned "brand" that can sell any product around the world and generate $$Millions for any big business that cares to invest does him any favours at all, but if that was all part of Argylle bulling up TWP to shift shares and reduce his own losses fine. As I have said before if TWP end up in Superleague being a club 3,000 miles away where there is no Rugby League, and where both teams have to be shipped from here to put a game on there fans here will not be impressed at all. Maybe some investors won't get that until it happens?

We have this with Les Catalans to a point. Once the honeymoon was over, people resented how English their team was and they became one of the least attractive sides for fans here to watch, and like it or not "no away fans" means less money and less atmosphere.  Sure you may feel Catalans generated something with their shock cup win, but sadly that was the cup final's lowest crowd and a big loss making one at that. We now see the "welcome" door being half closed on TWP by the very body that let them in!!.

Anyway thanks for the grown up civil post, it didn't contain "Idiot" or "Troll" in it,  so you'll do for me Reaper.

"Insult with the pack"

Edited by The Parksider

11 hours ago, EssexRL said:

Absolutely at the very latest. 

I'd expect some converts from the large number of local American Football Clubs too... but i'm not going to be too greedy so you can have till June to get that sorted out!

Edited by RP London
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, RP London said:

I'd expect some converts from the large number of local American Football Clubs too... but i'm not going to be too greedy so you can have till June to get that sorted out!

I am pretty sure by then rugby league will be the biggest sport in Haringey, if not north London.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, The Parksider said:

No player development

No grid iron players

No more NA clubs

No World Cup in NA

No Perez

Game over. There is a debate in terms of Argylle’s exit strategy and that can be a very positive one.  It would be a powerful boost to the game if he committed his investment in full to London and one can only hope him dropping to 51% at Wolfpack and going 25% at Skolars is a signal he is actually doing that rather than trying to claim he's now "developing players" per se.  I can't see McNeil being a stooge.

I don't think Argylle pretending TWP are now a world renowned "brand" that can sell any product around the world and generate $$Millions for any big business that cares to invest does him any favours at all, but if that was all part of Argylle bulling up TWP to shift shares and reduce his own losses fine. As I have said before if TWP end up in Superleague being a club 3,000 miles away where there is no Rugby League, and where both teams have to be shipped from here to put a game on there fans here will not be impressed at all. Maybe some investors won't get that until it happens?

We have this with Les Catalans to a point. Once the honeymoon was over, people resented how English their team was and they became one of the least attractive sides for fans here to watch, and like it or not "no away fans" means less money and less atmosphere.  Sure you may feel Catalans generated something with their shock cup win, but sadly that was the cup final's lowest crowd and a big loss making one at that. We now see the "welcome" door being half closed on TWP by the very body that let them in!!.

Anyway thanks for the grown up civil post, it didn't contain "Idiot" or "Troll" in it,  so you'll do for me Reaper.

"Insult with the pack"

I am restricting my comments to London Skolars, which is the topic of this thread and just to say, knowing Hector (and other directors) and their business acumen I don't think there is any risk of him being a stooge,

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EssexRL said:

I am restricting my comments to London Skolars, which is the topic of this thread and just to say, knowing Hector (and other directors) and their business acumen I don't think there is any risk of him being a stooge,

Given your contacts, do you know if it really is a 25% stake that Argyle has taken?

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

No player development

No grid iron players

No more NA clubs

No World Cup in NA

No Perez

"Insult with the pack"

Although I do like the media coverage and new fans TWP have brought to the game I'd prefer a strong 2nd club in London and hopefully lots of investment in the community game. If Broncos and Skolars can grow then I think it could be a massive boost to the game here and would add more to the TV deal, increase media coverage and sponsorship and hopefully boost playing numbers. More so than TWP imo

On 1/9/2019 at 12:59 PM, Ackroman said:

If they don't start next season with at least 2 pearly kings, 2 Essex wide boys, 1 del boy, 1 beefeater and at least 1 of the krays playing then they are a complete failure...

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Astronomers have detected mysterious, ultra-brief repeating energy bursts from deep space for only the second time in history, and some experts suggested they could be evidence of advanced alien life.

or it could be "parque cider" sending his newest antiWP diatribe. Tiresome.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, dkw said:

If they don't start next season with at least 2 pearly kings, 2 Essex wide boys, 1 del boy, 1 beefeater and at least 1 of the krays playing then they are a complete failure...

Added to which, they should have moved into Spurs ground and taken their fanbase with them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, RobertAM said:

Astronomers have detected mysterious, ultra-brief repeating energy bursts from deep space for only the second time in history, and some experts suggested they could be evidence of advanced alien life.

or it could be "parque cider" sending his newest antiWP diatribe. Tiresome.

That’ll be when they all put the kettle on at the same time at half time in the footy 

On 1/10/2019 at 7:23 PM, Manx RL said:

Given your contacts, do you know if it really is a 25% stake that Argyle has taken?

I’m not 100% sure. The money he put in has been matched so it’s 50% of the new investment (shares). If the new share issue is equal to the previous shares then yes. 

16 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

I’m not 100% sure. The money he put in has been matched so it’s 50% of the new investment (shares). If the new share issue is equal to the previous shares then yes. 

Cheers. 

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

On 1/10/2019 at 8:27 PM, JM2010 said:

Although I do like the media coverage and new fans TWP have brought to the game I'd prefer a strong 2nd club in London and hopefully lots of investment in the community game. If Broncos and Skolars can grow then I think it could be a massive boost to the game here and would add more to the TV deal, increase media coverage and sponsorship and hopefully boost playing numbers. More so than TWP imo

It would be good to have one strong team in London. Take my hat off to the skolars. A proper community club. I wish them well

• Like 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward