RL's longest hoodoos

Yesterday QPR defeated Nottm Forest at the City Ground for the first time in 84 years, and it got me wondering what our sport's longest unwanted records are. 

Hull got one of the best known off their back at Wembley last year, as did Cronulla in the NRL.

England/GBs failure to win a home series against Australia now stretches back 60 years.

There must be plenty more examples...

Could even make for an interesting series of articles in RLW (hint, hint).

1 minute ago, deluded pom? said:

Almost an eternity.

The worst thing about our losing streak at Headingley isn't the time or the number of losses, but the manner of them. We have competed more often than not, even been the better side on occasion, and yet you are always just waiting for the inevitable to happen.

33 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Oldham have never played at Wembley. The worst part is they played in the four Challenge Cup finals prior to the move south. (sorry 'spud).

Swinton have been even more unlucky, not only playing in the three immediately prior to them moving to Wembley (twice against Oldham and the last final before the move to Wembley against Warrington) but also reaching a final since the move to Wembley which was played at Wigan. The finals either side were both played at Wembley.

Hopefully the new cup will offer a chance to finally appear at Wembley.

Saints had a pretty poor record against Catalans in Perpignan prior to 2017. We always used to play them in the height of summer and would inevitably get convincingly beaten, however, we’ve won the last three trips to the Brutus, with the games taking place in February, March and September. 

Allegedly, the club complained about always being sent to Perpignan during the summer months after ten or so years of largely summer trips to Perpignan. We play them in April this year, so it should still be warm just not July warm, as we had a few years ago. That was tough to sit in the shade and watch, let alone be out in the middle. It was little surprise Mose Masoe was knackered after four minutes.  

2 hours ago, Southerner80 said:

France I think 1990 since they Beat GB/Eng and 1978 since they beat OZ.

France's last win against England is further back, a 5-1 win in Leeds in 1981.  Leeds is coincidentally where they last beat GB too.

A hoodoo is about bad luck, most sporting events rarely include 'bad luck', hull not winning the cup at Wembley was never about luck, we were not the better team, plain and simple, there was no 'hoodoo' about it! Batley not winning the cup in 120 years isn't a hoodoo, not in any sense or what has been incorrectly conjured as to its meaning, nor is not winning at or against a certain team, it's a losing streak or just being mickey poor/not good enough to win for x period of time. Describing not getting to a final as a 'hoodoo' is utterly ridiculous. 

it's akin to saying, it's a hoodoo because I haven't won 'spot the ball' since 1979! I hate the misuse of the word hoodoo instead of using losing streak, and as I said, in some cases described above they aren't even losing streaks ffs!

7 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

A hoodoo is about bad luck, most sporting events rarely include 'bad luck', hull not winning the cup at Wembley was never about luck, we were not the better team, plain and simple, there was no 'hoodoo' about it! Batley not winning the cup in 120 years isn't a hoodoo, not in any sense or what has been incorrectly conjured as to its meaning, nor is not winning at or against a certain team, it's a losing streak or just being mickey poor/not good enough to win for x period of time. Describing not getting to a final as a 'hoodoo' is utterly ridiculous. 

it's akin to saying, it's a hoodoo because I haven't won 'spot the ball' since 1979! I hate the misuse of the word hoodoo instead of using losing streak, and as I said, in some cases described above they aren't even losing streaks ffs!

I’ll have a word with some gypsies and get your spot the ball hoodoo lifted. ?

rldfsignature.jpg

12 hours ago, Colin James said:

West Wales Raiders have never won a game.

Has a side ever had a longer losing streak before their maiden victory?

Not wishing to be pedantic,or keep West Wales Raiders any longer under the glare of negative publicity,but we did win a game,at Stebonheath Park.Llanelli,near the end of the 2017 campaign after the club took over the mess of South Wales Ironmen.

They defeated the All-Golds.

The point still stands about the length of time without a victory,though.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

28 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Not wishing to be pedantic,or keep West Wales Raiders any longer under the glare of negative publicity,but we did win a game,at Stebonheath Park.Llanelli,near the end of the 2017 campaign after the club took over the mess of South Wales Ironmen.

They defeated the All-Golds.

The point still stands about the length of time without a victory,though.

They didn't change name part way through the season surely? I thought 2018 was their debut.

Archived