Sign in to follow this  
Wakefield Ram

Yorkshire Cup - not bothered?

https://www.thepressnews.co.uk/sportsnews/greenwood-work-to-do-for-the-rams

Whilst I understand that Boxing Day is not a must win, bit disappointed that the Yorkshire Cup game v Fev gets the same treatment. It's the only competition where we have any prospect of getting to a final. Hopefully Feb will be similarly disinterested in winning. 

It would probably be better for LG to be just a bit disingenuous with this one, telling the fans that we are going all out to win the competition whilst planning his squad and approach differently. There's too much honesty in the sport nowadays I reckon.

• Like 1

For anyone thinking of parting with 15 quid just after Christmas, it certainly doesn't 'sell' the game does it ??

We really should be talking this up: Double-header, first game at home this year, brand new competition, players fighting for a starting jersey etc etc

Let's just hope FEV are doing their bit and they bring a fair few across.......

Can't see anything on the FEV forum............. There's a post on YORK's forum trying to drum things up a bit.......... And they're playing the Amateur team................. Good to see someone trying ---- Bet the sponsors are thrilled !!!

Interesting to see that Macaulay Hallett has found his way over to Fev Rovers on trial looking for a contract for 2019.

Edited by andyram
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, andyram said:

Interesting to see that Macaulay Hallett had found his way over to Fev Rovers on trial looking for a contract for 2019.

Could be interesting next week, good luck to the lad 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, graham fisher said:

Could be interesting next week, good luck to the lad 

I agree. He has some talent. I hope he is a success for them. 

• Like 1

Never really impressed with Hallett, went missing in too many games, I still maintain out of the swop deal with Batley we thought we had got a bargain.. And we didn't. He would be better going to somewhere like Rochdale /swinton/Hunslet.. Can't see him fitting in with featherstone... But you never know good luck to the lad and hope it works out for him

• Like 2

I'm not sure we (Fev) will have many more players to bring in compared to the game at Cas last where we looked desperately weak, unsurprisingly considering we had 10 players who had never played first grade on the field in the second half (and 5 of the starting 13 had never played first grade either). John Davies should return after a 1-match ban but not sure of any other additions with one or two still out injured and the three PNG players not due until next week I think and the new coach still not arrived. If ever you wanted a morale-boosting big win, here's your chance!

25 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I'm not sure we (Fev) will have many more players to bring in compared to the game at Cas last where we looked desperately weak, unsurprisingly considering we had 10 players who had never played first grade on the field in the second half (and 5 of the starting 13 had never played first grade either). John Davies should return after a 1-match ban but not sure of any other additions with one or two still out injured and the three PNG players not due until next week I think and the new coach still not arrived. If ever you wanted a morale-boosting big win, here's your chance!

Should be a good game then .Still not expecting too much .Last week was just a fitness run out against the dark side.

Edited by EQUALIZER

Against Cas, our starting winger had been recruited from Kinsley Raiders, the third tier of the Pennine League, the Cas winger on his side scored 3 tries in the first half and the guy who replaced him in the 2nd half also scored 3 tries (I don't think he was especially toblame for any of them).

Our other starting wing plays for Hull University. Neither our starting full back nor half back had ever played first grade and Jordan Tansey was asked to play at 6. In addition, we played two lads from Sharlston Rovers, 1 from Lock Lane, 1 from Shaw Cross, and a couple more who had been released from SL academies. Cas had mostly academy lads on in the second half (albeit some very good ones) and they ran rings round us.

I'd like to think none of those lads will be anywhere other than the reserves when the season gets under way in February, but for now we remain very short of starting-quality players, though hopefully that situation will get gradually better as the month goes on.

If we ( Fev ) lose by 50 it won't be that we are not bothered. It will simply be that is where we are now on the Richter scale. However we will support our team just like Ram fans have stood by theirs. Happy New Year.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Against Cas, our starting winger had been recruited from Kinsley Raiders, the third tier of the Pennine League, the Cas winger on his side scored 3 tries in the first half and the guy who replaced him in the 2nd half also scored 3 tries (I don't think he was especially toblame for any of them).

Our other starting wing plays for Hull University. Neither our starting full back nor half back had ever played first grade and Jordan Tansey was asked to play at 6. In addition, we played two lads from Sharlston Rovers, 1 from Lock Lane, 1 from Shaw Cross, and a couple more who had been released from SL academies. Cas had mostly academy lads on in the second half (albeit some very good ones) and they ran rings round us.

I'd like to think none of those lads will be anywhere other than the reserves when the season gets under way in February, but for now we remain very short of starting-quality players, though hopefully that situation will get gradually better as the month goes on.

Serious question.

What are the DR rules for the Yorkshire Cup?

Also interchanges.

Will Championship rules apply for both the above?

1 hour ago, gittinsfan said:

Serious question.

Also interchanges.

I don't know how they can call it the Yorkshire Cup in the first place.

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

I don't know how they can call it the Yorkshire Cup in the first place.

Maybe because it’s 8 Yorkshire clubs,personally I think it’s a great idea.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, gittinsfan said:

Serious question.

Also interchanges.

Not sure about interchanges, I can't see them being restricted to a 4-man bench as in the regular season though.

As for DR, you'd think it will be the same as normal ie a maximum of 5 loans and DR combined, of which a maximum of 4 can be on DR, if I remember the rules correctly.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, graham fisher said:

Maybe because it’s 8 Yorkshire clubs,personally I think it’s a great idea.

Would be a good idea if teams from all over Yorkshire was allowed to take part @ the moment it's more a West Yorkshire Cup.

Marauder it would be pointless inviting such as Leeds Castleford and Huddersfield and Wakefield etc. That would be another trophy that they would call their own with no chance of Fev or Dewsbury of winning.

5 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Not sure about interchanges, I can't see them being restricted to a 4-man bench as in the regular season though.

As for DR, you'd think it will be the same as normal ie a maximum of 5 loans and DR combined, of which a maximum of 4 can be on DR, if I remember the rules correctly.

4 man bench and 8 interchanges I would expect. These are competitive matches after all, not friendlies.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

Would be a good idea if teams from all over Yorkshire was allowed to take part @ the moment it's more a West Yorkshire Cup.

All the teams that were invited are taking part, except for Keighley.

Them as cozy up wi SL should set their own Yorkshire cup!

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Marauder said:

thought two from south yorkshire declined anyways ?