Sign in to follow this  
The 4 of Us

Super League’s chief executive has big plans for 2019

As usual I pretty much agree with what he says, bar his comments on Golden Point, but I'd like to see some meat on the bones of how he is going to achieve that and the strategy for growth. The talk so far is pretty much what people on here would just say and agree with. It's how he is going to do this I would like to know.

• Like 1

Mostly agree with what he has said there but it is just talk for now. A lot of this stuff has been said before but we need more meat on the bones as it were. 

• Like 1

Blah blah blah blah.

Until something is actually done, a proper plan that has confirmed funding not just short term but long term and getting people who can actually come up with strategies to make it work then it's meaningless waffle.

As we see with the RFL, they are incapable, don't meet their targets and the ones they do are set so low as to be futile and not just not expanding the game but dragging it backwards. Or in the case of some of the plans they miss the mark completely!

we'll see how things go but frankly the law changes don't inspire confidence in the understanding by SL or the RFL of the root cause of the problems and how to address matters. 

I have been as critical as anyone, but to be fair, he has made some changes:

> Facilitated the removal of the 8's

> Rule changes to 'speed the game up'

> Created own team for SL-focus

> Agreement in place for 2 refs moving forward

We will have to give it some time to see if it works, but I like his more aggressive attitude now, hopefully he is getting more comfortable and getting into it.

It will be interesting to see if he is as challenging of the clubs to improve standards during the year.

• Like 4

He speaks of the obvious things that need to improve but not much on how it will be achieved. It is clear though that he is passionate about trying to improve the competition.

Well lets look at what hes trying to deliver and what the RFL are doing. I know who i would rarher have running my sport.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Makes me wonder if the endgame is some sort of merger/takeover with/by the NRL.

Pros and cons. Wouldn't be a disaster.

• Like 2

Elstone’s job has been made somewhat easier by the complete poo storm of a job Wreck It Ralph is doing at The RFL. As soon as Elstone is seen to have improved the game in any way, however big or small, he’ll be looked upon very favourably. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

There needs to be more meat on the bones.

Perhaps the bones need to meet.

4 hours ago, Dave T said:

> Agreement in place for 2 refs moving forward

What interested me about that bit was the “budgets agreed” part. Just makes you wonder how much the RFL has held back expenditure by the SL - i.e the RFL antes to save for something else. 

Aslo fact that SL will be taking some personnel over which will no doubt mean than RR is presiding over an increasingly diminished sinking ship. Wonder if his wodge reduces prorata ?! 

Edited by The 4 of Us
  • Like 1

Anyone know where they may be setting up shop in Manchester?

Seems money being spent on relocating the RFL and now Super League staff is available,but there isn't a magic money tree for other things - like clubs outside of Super League,or clubs wanting to enter the Challenge Cup.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

Anyone know where they may be setting up shop in Manchester?

Seems money being spent on relocating the RFL and now Super League staff is available,but there isn't a magic money tree for other things - like clubs outside of Super League,or clubs wanting to enter the Challenge Cup.

Elstone isn’t in charge of clubs outside of Super League or the Challenge Cup. So no “magic money tree” at all. Just better organisation than Wreck It Ralph.

47 minutes ago, The 4 of Us said:

What interested me about that bit was the “budgets agreed” part. Just makes you wonder how much the RFL has held back expenditure by the SL - i.e the RFL antes to save for something else.  

Aslo fact that SL will be taking some personnel over which will no doubt mean than RR is presiding over an increasingly diminished sinking ship. Wonder if his wodge reduces prorata ?!  

Elstone and his SL team appear to be leaving the difficult bits of running and expanding the game to the RFL. Including providing the additional referees they want.

Although I agree SL needed more focus it's clearly setting the RFL up for failure. It's obvious that RR isn't the right man for the job there but the way the SL clubs behave they are making it almost impossible to find a competent replacement for a job that will mostly be dealing with "drivel and dross", for want of another phrase.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, M j M said:

Elstone and his SL team appear to be leaving the difficult bits of running and expanding the game to the RFL. Including providing the additional referees they want.

Although I agree SL needed more focus it's clearly setting the RFL up for failure. It's obvious that RR isn't the right man for the job there but the way the SL clubs behave they are making it almost impossible to find a competent replacement for a job that will mostly be dealing with "drivel and dross", for want of another phrase.

Ive seen this argument made a few times and I'm not sure what Elstone is taking on is the 'easy bit'. 

It seems to me that the bits the RFL actually do pretty well are the bits they are keeping and the bits they have struggled with are the bits SL are taking on.

• Like 1

Nothing more certain than a Franchised, Closed Shop, Ring Fenced call it what you like SL for 2021 and beyond, for those who desire that the footprint of the game does not make an impression on the ground as close as it presently does I think they will get their wish, communities, towns and clubs on the outside not involved in the top flight will drift away from the game, it will effect SL eventually and not in the positive sense.

9 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Nothing more certain than a Franchised, Closed Shop, Ring Fenced call it what you like SL for 2021 and beyond, for those who desire that the footprint of the game does not make an impression on the ground as close as it presently does I think they will get their wish, communities, towns and clubs on the outside not involved in the top flight will drift away from the game, it will effect SL eventually and not in the positive sense.

For its diminished size RL excels at “personality” owners that promise the world and then pull the rug when the going gets tough. Surely to grow RL you need big strong businesses that can withstand the whims of owners who may come at go.

Unfortunately RL doesn’t have enough of the businesses and far too many small town clubs who are susceptible to the overpromosing white knight. 

We look towards the success of the NRL. They have clubs at different levels who are happy to achieve against their peers.

A true SL which has the guts to say to smaller clubs currently involved, sorry but you don’t meet the criteria, and a second tier who also have a similar but less onerous set of credentials just might be the way to go. And if that means teams that can’t put out a reserve or academy don’t get a gig then so be it. 

Does more than a couple of Championship clubs even have the desire to be in SL. If not, then you have to question how motivated they are to win the comp they’re even in.

We’ve spent 30 chest beating about SL but we’ve never really tried to do it properly. Maybe, just maybe, they’re going to give it a proper go.

And if that means an individual owner of a former mill town team isn’t able to draw a six figure salary from the club, perhaps that’s a necessary and overdue adjustment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply Billy (your avatar), not a lot I find to disagree with in your statement, albeit I would ask you to clarify the inclusions you make: -

1) true SL which has the guts to say to smaller clubs currently involved, sorry but you don’t meet the criteria, and

2) We’ve spent 30 chest beating about SL but we’ve never really tried to do it properly. Maybe, just maybe, they’re going to give it a proper go.

I think that those two statements are intrinsically linked, firstly, and admittedly it is a bug bear of mine that at the presentation and unveiling of Mr Elstone were the 'panel' disclosed the 8's system would end to be replaced by a one club P & R from each division Mr Leneghan very quickly jumped in with "if the promoted club can meet the criteria", considering we are 3 weeks from the competition that will eventuate with a promoted club why has there been no indication of the said list of boxes that has to be "ticked" to obtain entry? Which easily lends into your second paragraph of "never really tried to do it properly".

The only benchmarks in my view that can be deemed to form the criterion is to accept the worst possible acceptance level of any of the catagories from each of the SL teams that will kick of 2019, i.e. Hull FC or HKR have by right no academy teams of their own, so having no academy must be accepted, Salford averaged less than 3,000 spectators, so I can't imagine an attendance criteria will come into play, it is well documented that Castleford and Wakefields Stadia are not of an acceptable standard, but they are obviously acceptable enough to be included in the 2019 kick off, and there are many more examples but we will leave it at those for now.

Unfortunately SL does not have enough candidates of a level to produce a list of acceptable criteria, we may have 4 at the most, look back at the "Framing the Future" document which had to be met in a 5 year period, whatever happened to that? and the acceptable level that had to be met to secure a 'licence' at the last "lock out" the authorities had to go to three - fabricated - levels just to cobble a league together, so pray tell Billy, how do we do it properly?

I think that Mr Leneghan in making that statement made a big mistake, he actually engaged his gob before putting his brain into gear, hence nothing further ever being mentioned, it's to late now, whoever gets promoted will have to be accepted, warts 'n all.

Edited by Harry Stottle

There's a really wierd logic that's taken hold in RL where because not enough clubs reach a good enough standard, we shouldn't enforce any standards. 

That because say Wakefield aren't where we need them to be, keeping out clubs inferior to Wakefield is wrong, which makes no sense at all.

If Wakefield aren't good enough, the very minimum standard that should be applied is being better than Wakefield. 

20 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

He speaks of the obvious things that need to improve but not much on how it will be achieved. It is clear though that he is passionate about trying to improve the competition.

It is exactly what you would expect of a CEO or MD.  All encompassing statements.I think he's a bit too cute to deliver fine detail.

Its not for him to delve into the minutiae but for his troops.

Interesting that the again pushes the big changes coming for 2020. Wonder what they are that will leave us seeing a considerably different competition

24 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

It is exactly what you would expect of a CEO or MD.  All encompassing statements.I think he's a bit too cute to deliver fine detail.

Its not for him to delve into the minutiae but for his troops.

Apparently the same ones that made such a success of things when employed by the RFL.......

23 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Apparently the same ones that made such a success of things when employed by the RFL.......

To be fair on this one, they were working in a Joint Venture type role, which isn't a major issue in itself, I have done that myself and you will work to the best of your ability. The big issue is that there are sometimes conflicts, and as much as there are processes for this kind of thing, in reality, when it is the same person making the decisions, there will always be issues. 

With a different leadership team, those people may still be the right people to do a great job when their sole focus is making SL a success. 

I have often made the point that the sponsors seem to weirdly cross over between RFL and SLE properties - I suspect often they are thrown in as freebies as deal breakers. 

An example - Dacia came into the game as sponsor for the WCC, SL, Challenge Cup - they should be run by different people. Now they are on board even more with the RFL as England RL sponsor.