The day Jonathan Davies joined Widnes

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

44:30 onwards...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwKYbPOrS1k

The story from Jim Mills about driving down to sign him is just brilliant.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Also, scroll down that article for match highlights of Wales v Samoa in the 1995 RWC.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

There was something mentioned in that article that I have mentioned before in posts. These types of marquee signings put bums on seats and often paid for themselves. It wasn't even unheard of for even A team games to have 4,000 or 5,000 to watch players make their debut. In this low salary cap era clubs have become so risk averse that few speculate to accumulate as they once did.

1 hour ago, Damien said:

There was something mentioned in that article that I have mentioned before in posts. These types of marquee signings put bums on seats and often paid for themselves. It wasn't even unheard of for even A team games to have 4,000 or 5,000 to watch players make their debut. In this low salary cap era clubs have become so risk averse that few speculate to accumulate as they once did.

"Is Bevan playing?" was the question whose answer used to have a big influence on Warrington's gates.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Remember the days of the Union converts well. Shame it no longer happens as therewas always the element of risk, speculation, anticipation and excitement. Some of them certainly put bums on seats 

Doug Laughton seemed to have a good eye for talent or a large wallet as Widnes did well from their signings until the money ran out.

Was at the Old Trafford World Cup semi. That was a great event and again real anticipation that Wales might cause an upset.

Those Union shamateurs did take quite a risk at the time. There was no going back playing wise or even socially if it went wrong and the climate between Union and League was very frosty at the time.  Think Clive Griffiths was banned from his home town club house after converting and many other tales like that. Even having a trial as an A N Other was likely to result in a banning.

Davies was a class player and made it in an era when there were fewer cameras to pick up on off the ball stuff and plenty of high profile Union players were singled out - Terry Holmes and John Gallagher spring to mind. Mind you the Widnes pack at the time was pretty handy with from memory Sorenson, Koloto, Grima, Faimalo and Eyres setting a good platform and Offiah on the wing to finish things off.

Was always laods of speculation and pre chat pages, forums and social media didnt have much of a clue how real they were. Jeremy Guscott was a regular rumour which never happened and Alex Murphy in the Sunday Papers was linked with anybody 

Time to post this old favourite. Jiffy didn't do too bad.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

23 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

that was a great widnes team, not a team of tattooed, hair gelled , supplement swigging, ripped jeans snowflakes like the modern era

Such a cruel irony that the band behind this album are far too new-fangled for Johnny.

R-10519972-1499114839-8195.jpeg.jpg

Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Such a cruel irony that the band behind this album are far too new-fangled for Johnny.

R-10519972-1499114839-8195.jpeg.jpg

lol, coxy has slept on our sofa more than once, he even slept on the garden furniture when we he came back  earlier and he didn't have a key, they went on to be multi millionaires -we didn't - but then that's life

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Great  achievement for Widnes  because that was one awesome green machine outfit who were pretty dominant around the turn of the decade . Rose tinted and all that but looking back on highlights from the 80s it often seems a  less structured more fluent and off the cuff game with lots of ball movement and linking between forwards n backs . Players were largely smaller and lighter I guess is part of it . Things seem more rigid now in doing your set job from the coach with stats a big factor 

7 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

"Boston?"

Him too, but for Wigan.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

15 hours ago, DavidM said:

Great  achievement for Widnes  because that was one awesome green machine outfit who were pretty dominant around the turn of the decade . Rose tinted and all that but looking back on highlights from the 80s it often seems a  less structured more fluent and off the cuff game with lots of ball movement and linking between forwards n backs . Players were largely smaller and lighter I guess is part of it . Things seem more rigid now in doing your set job from the coach with stats a big factor 

That Widnes team would have physically monstered the team that took the field last season.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

4 minutes ago, Jill Halfpenny fan said:

That Widnes team would have physically monstered the team that took the field last season.

Was that just before McGraff's time then?

I am not a big union follower, but I am not aware of any current union players with Jiffy's ability or who would make a similar impact. So all this 'they don't come over now' stuff is a bit of a false moan.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

2 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Was that just before McGraff's time then?

I am not a big union follower, but I am not aware of any current union players with Jiffy's ability or who would make a similar impact. So all this 'they don't come over now' stuff is a bit of a false moan.

I'm not so sure I agree with that. Some of my favourite players from that era were the lesser known players, like Kevin Ellis and Allan Bateman. I think there will still be plenty of players knocking around in Union that could be better suited to Rugby.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I'm not so sure I agree with that. Some of my favourite players from that era were the lesser known players, like Kevin Ellis and Allan Bateman. I think there will still be plenty of players knocking around in Union that could be better suited to Rugby.

Sure, and I probably didn't explain myself very well. I thought we were talking about marquee-type players, and i think Jiffy fell into this category when he signed for Widnes. 

There will undoubtedly be union players who could come over and do a very good job in RL.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

The annoying thing for me is, as a 51 year old, I missed our greatest glory days!

I watched us as a youngster in the mid 70's to early 80's, then stopped watching RL and started Fishing.

I only started going again in 1995, and have probably only missed 2 or 3 competitive home matches since then.

Widnes - Cheshire's Original Glamour Club.

7 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

Sure, and I probably didn't explain myself very well. I thought we were talking about marquee-type players, and i think Jiffy fell into this category when he signed for Widnes. 

There will undoubtedly be union players who could come over and do a very good job in RL.

aye, that's fair, I'm not sure I could think of a single RU player that would get me travelling down for a game if they signed for Wire. 

I do find it a shame we no longer sign the likes of Ellis and Bateman though, it is a whole player stream just gone.

Archived