Match Thread: Pre-season Featherstone Rovers v Hunslet Parkside Saturday January 12th

My God it amazes me how 50 year old people on here are acting like 13 year olds going to their first friendly and looking for a girder to throw a rope around on their way home.I am 53 and have watched this friendly stuff for 46 years and I am not nieve as some on here to believe we are heading for the trap door.We will be judged on what we deliver at the start of the season and especially how we are half way in the table.It makes laughable reading on here from people who you would think know better.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have Whylie Teteh A Boas W Boas King Maskill Cooper Wheeldon Delaney Harrison Day Lockwood Bussey plus anymore new signings and dual reg to come in. Hard to judge us still until we get anywhere near our first team out. One thing that can be said the is that the preparation for this season has been really poor due to such a turnover of players and the fact the coach still isn’t here. 

I remember the season we signed Steve Molloy plus Mark Aston and a string of new signings amounting to £400 000 to get into the top four one year.We won every friendly played including Cas away which I attended and thought we were world beaters.At the end of the season we just avoided relegation.Sooner show all the weaknesses before the season starts in the losses. I am convinced we will finish mid table.I will take bets from the first 5 people to pm me who thinks we will get relegated at £100 against.

23 minutes ago, Blue Pike said:

I remember the season we signed Steve Molloy plus Mark Aston and a string of new signings amounting to £400 000 to get into the top four one year.We won every friendly played including Cas away which I attended and thought we were world beaters.At the end of the season we just avoided relegation.Sooner show all the weaknesses before the season starts in the losses. I am convinced we will finish mid table.I will take bets from the first 5 people to pm me who thinks we will get relegated at £100 against.

We beat Cas and Leeds in pre-season last year and ended up missing out on the top 4.

Nothing matters before February. ?‍♂️

1 hour ago, Blue Pike said:

My God it amazes me how 50 year old people on here are acting like 13 year olds going to their first friendly and looking for a girder to throw a rope around on their way home.I am 53 and have watched this friendly stuff for 46 years and I am not nieve as some on here to believe we are heading for the trap door.We will be judged on what we deliver at the start of the season and especially how we are half way in the table.It makes laughable reading on here from people who you would think know better.

Well said, today was a run out, especially with Davies and Hardcastle only playing the first half, looking forward to next week.

1 hour ago, haskey said:

If we do not shape up in the next couple of friendlies, I think we might be looking at the trap door. Bradford , York , Leigh have an improved squad and so have Sheffield, Batley and Dewsbury. Our saving grace could be either Swinton OR Rochdale.

You will be challenging for the top 5. Even with the signings you have made you look stronger than a few of the mid table teams.

I will point out though that I got shot down when I suggested that Fev couldnt just pull in a load of amateur and ex pro players and expect to find a number of players ready to play championship rugby. I think the person in question maybe thought I were having a dig or was saying how brilliant Fax are but it was not the case at all. Its brilliant that Fev are running a reserves but you have to remember that Fax are about 4 or 5 years down the line with this hence why we are now reaping the rewards. When we first started up Im not sure if any of the original players actually made the grade and it will be the same for Fev but give it a few years, especially if reserve teams are not made compulsory, and Fev will reap the rewards.

It was men against boys today. Parkside are the best amateur side around, packed with BARLA internationals who have opted to stay with them despite being chased by professional clubs. They could match half the sides in League 1, so how would anyone expect these youngsters, plus Davies and Hardcastle for half a game, to arm wrestle the likes of Jamie Fields? They might have beaten them with Davies and Hardcastle in the second half but they were already showered and changed. Paul March had no intention in keeping them on because it wasn't about the result, rather the opportunity for the youngsters.

People seeing featherstone going down 14 10 to an amatuer side, thinking were doomed, but in reality thats a very good effort from them young lads, who have also mainly come from amatuer, to play for our reserves or trial for them. Theyve only been together a few week and most never played together, so to give the best amatuer side in the country a very close game is a good effort, shows the club as done a decent job recruiting some good amatuer talent aswell in such a short space of time. Id expect Davis and Hardy to be the only 2 out of todays squad, that will play regular 1st team, so will have been a very good hit out for the rest of the young lads.

4 hours ago, Rarefrith said:

We have Whylie Teteh A Boas W Boas King Maskill Cooper Wheeldon Delaney Harrison Day Lockwood Bussey plus anymore new signings and dual reg to come in. Hard to judge us still until we get anywhere near our first team out. One thing that can be said the is that the preparation for this season has been really poor due to such a turnover of players and the fact the coach still isn’t here. 

Exactly,all the players named above would improve any club in the championship.

You’ll be reight ffs

8 hours ago, haskey said:

Have Fev ever in the modern era lost to an amateur team before. ? How can a team with the name FEATHERSTONE ROVERS be humiliated in this fashion. The fact that it was virtually a  scratch team is down to the coaching staff giving up before a ball has been kicked.  The spectators who ventured out should be demanding their money back.  This is totally not good enough, and is not likely to add bums to seats for future matches, So its a friendly , so what . RANT OVER

I find this post as bad as the fev nut shiiite sorry but there the best amateur team in the country and we played our newly formed reserve team, they will learn more from that game than any reserve game trust me. As for wanting money back i payed myself and my youngen in and got full value it was a very entertaining game

7 hours ago, gingdong said:

I find this post as bad as the fev nut shiiite sorry but there the best amateur team in the country and we played our newly formed reserve team, they will learn more from that game than any reserve game trust me. As for wanting money back i payed myself and my youngen in and got full value it was a very entertaining game

Some people are just absolutely clueless, dont put there brain into action before coming out with absolute bull. They must just look at the names of the clubs and think that shouldnt happen, if they did a bit of research, they would see it was a very good amatuer side against a newly formed reserve team. The clubs has recruited better than i thought to get within 4 points of them, seen as though a handfull of our team were playing pennine league, or u18s amatuer level last season.

1 hour ago, fev4evatiggerneva said:

seen as though a handfull of our team were playing pennine league, or u18s amatuer level last season.

Classic example of how a players career can go downhill :) :) :)

Bet they wish they were back :)

Jesus.. You'll be reight once the season starts, much flapping about nowt. 

1 hour ago, painkiller said:

It was an excercise to look at some players nothing more , still a disappointing result though

That's the nature of sport I'm sure the new coach will look over the video....

And sign most of the Parkside players ?

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

1 hour ago, painkiller said:

It was an excercise to look at some players nothing more , still a disappointing result though

The result was irrelevant March could of kept Davies and Hardcastle on and we win that game , He didnt because he wanted them both to get 40 mins and look at other players thats what the exercise was, i could see what he was doing he left a very young pack of forwards on against some big and i mean big units on from Parkside without any experienced players and they handled it well, they wont come up against that prob never again in there careers. problem here is too many people underestimate the amateur game certainly at the top level in many aspects its much tougher than the pro game. love to know what some people are looking at when they watch a game of rugby cos it aint what im looking at

2 hours ago, coolie said:

Classic example of how a players career can go downhill :) :) :)

Bet they wish they were back :)

Jesus.. You'll be reight once the season starts, much flapping about nowt. 

Were am i flapping? Am actually stucking up for the kids who have come from amatuer and done a decent job against the best amatuer club in the country with only a few week together. Think its about time kids got a chance at this level again, been begging for reserves back last few year.

On 1/12/2019 at 12:40 PM, The Phantom Horseman said:

Looking forward to the reactions across social media when people see the score in this one...

Must admit, when I posted this (before the game) I assumed that the comments about "disgrace", "humiliation" and "shambles" would come from fans of other teams, not our own....

This was the best team in the NCL Premier Division, undefeated in the amateur game for years, against a mish-mash of players from NCL League 1/Pennine League/Yorkshire Men's League, including some from quite lowly divisions, and they've probably only had a couple of training sessions together...it's actually quite encouraging the score was so close really from the point of view of our reserves.

Maybe the entry price did look a bit steep but it was a double-header with the Yorkshire Cup semi-final following on so they couldn't really have 2 separate prices.

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 3:43 PM, haskey said:

Have Fev ever in the modern era lost to an amateur team before. ? How can a team with the name FEATHERSTONE ROVERS be humiliated in this fashion. The fact that it was virtually a  scratch team is down to the coaching staff giving up before a ball has been kicked.  The spectators who ventured out should be demanding their money back.  This is totally not good enough, and is not likely to add bums to seats for future matches, So its a friendly , so what . RANT OVER

Fully agree Haskey. You play for pride amongst other things and to shrug the result off as "pre-season blues, a vastly understrength team", etc., etc is not good enough in my opinion. We should start as we mean to go on.

44 minutes ago, saddleworth said:

Fully agree Haskey. You play for pride amongst other things and to shrug the result off as "pre-season blues, a vastly understrength team", etc., etc is not good enough in my opinion. We should start as we mean to go on.

it was a team of pennine and ncl players, understrength isnt the word, they did well to only lose by 4 points. Obviously you didnt go to the game if you think they didnt play with pride. THEY DID

Anyone remember this game? 
https://www.pontefractandcastlefordexpress.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/featherstone-rovers/rampant-rovers-outclass-hopeless-hull-1-6413849

The headline is "Rampant Rovers Outclass Hopless Hull".

That was the final game of pre-season in 2014.
Fev were unbeaten in pre-season under new coach John Bastian.
The report says the Hull fans were "stunned into silence" as "Rovers handed out an embarrassing defeat to their Super League opponents."

One week later, we lost our opening game at Dewsbury, and Hull beat Catalans in their opening game. Bastian was gone within weeks.

Pre-season means next to nothing, at least in terms of results.

I think the only friendly to go to where the result is of any significance is the last one which I believe is Leeds at home where usually we have in place more or less the Team which the Coach believes is possibly the starting Team. This game is the only friendly game that I go to understanding its significance. Like Ging dong said previously we have played newbys against decent opposition that will give us the experience needed to kick on . Looking forward to Bradford away where we will have a Team in position to do us proud.

Archived