Sign in to follow this  
clogdance

Leigh Centurions 'Bucket Collection' !!

Recommended Posts

Leigh Centurions owner Derek Beaumont is currently on a safari in South Africa....meanwhile back in the 'real world'.

Leigh Centurions Look To Raise
Extra Funds To Sign Gregg McNally

Leigh Centurions can confirm that they are in discussions with Gregg McNally following his release from Bradford Bulls. 

The Club are hopeful of securing Gregg's services but face competition and are unable to extend beyond strict financial budgets which do not afford the full space of value to finalise the deal. 

The Club therefore needs the support of fans and businesses to raise the money required to finalise the deal. In light of the playing budget and the Club accounts, the Club needs to raise an additional £15,000 to be in a position to finalise a deal. 

Edited by clogdance

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed, surely we can afford to sign him. Season ticket sales going well, shirt & player sponsorship has been excellent, yet the 'begging buckets' are out !! How long is it going to take to raise 15K, meanwhile McNally is maybe hoping another club (near home) come in for him. I feel the club/beaumont are taking the ****, you're not telling me that they can't afford 15K. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder which other clubs are 'competition' for his services?

Edited by paulwalker71

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What should be a bit of a worry for Leigh supporters is that you only currently have around 19 or 20 players signed - if you do manage to scrape together funds for McNally, you're still going to need a few more players.

You can't expect to go through the season with 20-21 players with injuries and such - where will the money come from for more players?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

Knives out for Leigh already eh? Good old RL Family. 

Hardly. The Bulls released McNally - quite rightly - on compassionate grounds. We could have asked for a fee for the remainder of his contract, but didn't.

I was simply pointing out that Leigh need a bigger squad, something that I'm sure they already realise. As a Bulls fan I've seen what happens when you go into a season with a very small squad - it doesn't end well.

I wish Leigh all the best, great bunch of fans in my experience.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, paulwalker71 said:

Hardly. The Bulls released McNally - quite rightly - on compassionate grounds. We could have asked for a fee for the remainder of his contract, but didn't.

I was simply pointing out that Leigh need a bigger squad, something that I'm sure they already realise. As a Bulls fan I've seen what happens when you go into a season with a very small squad - it doesn't end well.

I wish Leigh all the best, great bunch of fans in my experience.

 

It was more in reference to the OP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wildcat said:

It was more in reference to the OP. 

The op looks like it’s a direct quote possibly from Leigh’s own site. I’m not sure what the issue is with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bobbruce said:

The op looks like it’s a direct quote possibly from Leigh’s own site. I’m not sure what the issue is with it. 

Along with the title of the thread and the mention of 'the real world'? Hardly sympathetic is it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wildcat, it was  a reference to our owner being on a safari in South Africa, whilst the club are having to have a 'bucket collection' to sign a player. Like Paulwalker71 stated, 20 players is not enough, so what happens when we want to sign any more players ? I know DB has invested a lot of money in the club, but right now he is nowhere to be seen, apart from stroking Giraffe's ! 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

What should be a bit of a worry for Leigh supporters is that you only currently have around 19 or 20 players signed - if you do manage to scrape together funds for McNally, you're still going to need a few more players.

You can't expect to go through the season with 20-21 players with injuries and such - where will the money come from for more players?

No rules to how many loans you take on! Just how many you play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

If they cannot afford him and the potential signing could be seen as unsustainable, they shouldn’t be looking to sign him. Isn’t that what got Leigh where they are today? 

The main shareholder got them where they are today. The same shareholder who invested getting them to SL. The same shareholder who forced a level playing field in the 8's. The same shareholder who assisted Toronto, Toulouse and the Broncos salary cap.

He may have lost heart with the game. But there are many who are benefitting now, for what he fought for.

What may have become unsustainable, has created sustainability for a few clubs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is completely normal for a professional sports team!?!?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ojx said:

This is completely normal for a professional sports team!?!?

In rugby league? Yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is the actual statement from Leigh Centurions 

https://leighrl.co.uk/wp/blog/2019/01/11/leigh-centurions-look-to-raise-extra-funds-to-sign-gregg-mcnally/

Warning: Not for the faint hearted, It is appallingly written from beginning to end. It is a "stream of conciousness" piece. It is worth reading all the way through from beginning to end, because buried in the jumble of words is a proper explanation..possibly.

By the way, what has it got to do with anyone when Beaumont goes on holiday, where Beaumont goes on holiday and what he does on holiday?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SL17 said:

The main shareholder got them where they are today. The same shareholder who invested getting them to SL. The same shareholder who forced a level playing field in the 8's. The same shareholder who assisted Toronto, Toulouse and the Broncos salary cap.

He may have lost heart with the game. But there are many who are benefitting now, for what he fought for.

What may have become unsustainable, has created sustainability for a few clubs.

“Lost heart” = blew a load of money on a business plan built on sand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven’t Leigh learnt anything? They need to set out a sustainable budget and stick to it, not try and spend more than they can afford to compete with bigger clubs. Instead they have their begging bowls out trying to sign an ex Super League player.

Leigh have decent crowds which should be able to fund a competitive Championship team, it was chasing the Super League dream too hard that saw them go bust and unable to field 17 players.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Haven’t Leigh learnt anything? They need to set out a sustainable budget and stick to it, not try and spend more than they can afford to compete with bigger clubs. Instead they have their begging bowls out trying to sign an ex Super League player.

Leigh have decent crowds which should be able to fund a competitive Championship team, it was chasing the Super League dream too hard that saw them go bust and unable to field 17 players.

Good morning Sir Kevin.

If you read through the, admittedly terribly written, piece from the club, you should see that they are sticking to what we hope is a sustainable budget. They are asking fans and businesses to stump up the extra £15k (i.e. above what they have budgeted to sign a player) to sign Gregg. I don't believe it is that uncommon for RL clubs to seek help from fans and sponsors, to complete a signing - isn't that how Salford signed Hastings, for example?

As for others' comments about the size of the squad, they are valid. However, maybe, just maybe, the club has funds in place to sign others, and that's why the don't want to dip into them to settle the rest of Gregg's salary?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AlanE said:

Good morning Sir Kevin.

If you read through the, admittedly terribly written, piece from the club, you should see that they are sticking to what we hope is a sustainable budget. They are asking fans and businesses to stump up the extra £15k (i.e. above what they have budgeted to sign a player) to sign Gregg. I don't believe it is that uncommon for RL clubs to seek help from fans and sponsors, to complete a signing - isn't that how Salford signed Hastings, for example?

As for others' comments about the size of the squad, they are valid. However, maybe, just maybe, the club has funds in place to sign others, and that's why the don't want to dip into them to settle the rest of Gregg's salary?

 

It could also be that the club do not want to create any unrest with the lads already signed, who presumably would be on less money?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, clogdance said:

Wildcat, it was  a reference to our owner being on a safari in South Africa, whilst the club are having to have a 'bucket collection' to sign a player. Like Paulwalker71 stated, 20 players is not enough, so what happens when we want to sign any more players ? I know DB has invested a lot of money in the club, but right now he is nowhere to be seen, apart from stroking Giraffe's ! 😂

What does it matter if Beaumont is on holiday in the close season or where?  Either Leigh have funds or they dont, its a bit bad taste to talk about bucket collections.

Clearly you want to see Beaumont spend more of his money into the Money Pit that is Leigh Centurions. Once thats all gone can you suggest who else might step forward to fill the hole. Good luck to him putting up with all the abuse.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


League Express - Online Now

League Express - Every Monday




League Express - Online Now

Rugby League World - Issue 453 - Out Now