Sign in to follow this  
THE RED ROOSTER

London Broncos open day

Not a lot to report

The Training session involved three 25 minutes sessions, Tries only no conversions, First game 20-0 Broncos, 2nd Game 16-4 Broncos Third game 12-4 Broncos with The Broncos getting in a lot of defensive work in the last game possbily by design. All refereed by James Childs

There are 4 London Broncos shirts now up in the Bar area, these might have been there last season or not, I cannot recall. The 1997, 2003, 2005 Blue Away kit and the 2009 kit

David Hughes said all signings had been vetted in terms of their character by Danny Ward so that they fitted in with the Culture and Ethos of The London Broncos. From this you can interpret that the Henderson / Ward era is about copying the template of other successful sporting bodies, in that the team as a unit working together is more than the sum of its parts, rather than a group of individuals in a dysfunctional dressing room (Broncos 2012-13)

Season Ticket sales are up by either 25 or 35% this year (it was indistict where I was) . I suspect this is a mixture of Super League and the end of the 8/8/8

Danny Ward mentioned London have another practice game in Hull before the two trial games against Doncaster and Leigh

The new Stand is to be assembled on February 2nd, I say assembled because it is being put together Meccano style. When assembled its will hold 1100, and include, toilets a bar and a shop.

Broncos Players have immaculate timing - Jay Pitts a baby Boy on Boxing Day, Jordan Abdul  a baby boy on Christmas Day

The Interview with Keiran Dixon (The London Phantom) was um.. Special...

some photos

1    Looking towards what will be the new stand

2   The London phantom moves to threaten the line

3    As easy as..

4.   A knife through butter...

5    James Childs takes charge

DSC_0199.JPG

DSC_0203.JPG

DSC_0206.JPG

DSC_0207.JPG

DSC_0208.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Yes… thanks for the scores.  Slightly odd playing in last years colours I thought.  The 4 jerseys were there for most of the last season supplied by LBSA, the 2009 shirt you mention is a HarlequinsRL version.

Squad numbers announced (see photo).  I would have liked it if the players, especially the new ones, were introduced to the folks who attended.  Maybe the media training course the boys completed hadn’t worked.

Season ticket sales up 25% with “over 550 sold” so not on a mass scale.  All gold tickets sold out & just a few single 1980 Clubs tickets left.  Lots of Silver & Bronze left.  Perhaps the promise of a seat in the new stand will change that.

As you say the stand will be ready according to David Hughs.  Once the foundations are completed the Meccano bolt together style with 1,100 seats will be erected in 3 days with a shop & toilet block underneath.  The houses behind the new stand are part of the estate owned by the Mike Gooley Trailfinders Trust along with all the 4 rugby pitches with all their surrounds.

Pre-season games & why nothing against SL oppo?  According to one of the players, it’s because there wasn’t any certainty that the Broncos would be in SL after the MPG so nothing had been arranged.  We play Doncaster on Sun 20th & Leigh on Sun 27th, both away & both 3pm KO’s.  I missed the announcement playing one in Hull but don’t know when it would be scheduled as we've run out of available weekends.  First game against Wakefield is at home on Sun 3rd Feb, 3 pm.

Kieran Dixon to be goal kicker so I hope he keeps his confidence.  Jordan Abdull can kick conversions too.  No news on Api or who he's signed for.

Car parking entry has been sorted with a view for extra policing (if necessary) in future seasons.

Some photos... the one in the clubhouse isn't mine….

IMG_8169.jpg

IMG_8168.jpg

IMG_8167.jpg

49845105_1978503695590859_3273081519857467392_n.jpg

Dwt4VzMX4AEjUvw.jpg-large.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Lots of good things happening. Still a bit of a "build it and they (won't) come" mentality about game day, but that'll probably never change.  I'd like to see some kind of announcement about a long term deal to play at Trailfinders, old fans will come back if there was some long term stability.

On 1/12/2019 at 9:31 PM, londonbronco said:

Yes… thanks for the scores.  Slightly odd playing in last years colours I thought.  The 4 jerseys were there for most of the last season supplied by LBSA, the 2009 shirt you mention is a HarlequinsRL version.

Squad numbers announced (see photo).  I would have liked it if the players, especially the new ones, were introduced to the folks who attended.  Maybe the media training course the boys completed hadn’t worked.

Pre-season games & why nothing against SL oppo?  According to one of the players, it’s because there wasn’t any certainty that the Broncos would be in SL after the MPG so nothing had been arranged.  We play Doncaster on Sun 20th & Leigh on Sun 27th, both away & both 3pm KO’s.  I missed the announcement playing one in Hull but don’t know when it would be scheduled as we've run out of available weekends.  First game against Wakefield is at home on Sun 3rd Feb, 3 pm.

Kieran Dixon to be goal kicker so I hope he keeps his confidence.  Jordan Abdull can kick conversions too.  No news on Api or who he's signed for.

In response, It was not even a full trial game so you would use last years clobber. That said there did seem a lack of new gear in display at the club stall . Incidentally Alex Walker IIRC spent the whole training session jogging round the trailfinders pitch I did not see him get on the field so et's hope there nothing wrong here.

Luke Yates was introduced to the gathering and mumbled a few things about it being cold up here in the Northern Hemisphere. Seems a polite and reserved type by Aussie standards .

Your comment about pre-season backs the theory that promotion took the club by surprise, but on Danny Wards Hull practice game comment . It could be that the first grade are playing one of the Hull Clubs in either a practice game or full blown trial while the academy side goes to Doncaster. As is the case when first grade goes to Leigh and the academy side plays London Skolars.

Danny also mentioned that perhaps a few props fancied kicking a conversion or two..😲

On 1/12/2019 at 10:30 PM, Tre Cool said:

Lots of good things happening. Still a bit of a "build it and they (won't) come" mentality about game day, but that'll probably never change.  I'd like to see some kind of announcement about a long term deal to play at Trailfinders, old fans will come back if there was some long term stability.

The club has a terrible track record re marketing, and we've all discussed it many times over, but even I'm shocked by the complete silence ahead of the season's start. The club's marketing plan seems to consist of sending out a few tweets. There is nothing, and I do mean nothing, in Ealing to suggest the club even exists, never mind they play here or that the season is just over 2 weeks away. It's abysmal, even by Broncos' standards, and the club will get the poor attendances it deserves.

I had hoped we'd see a relatively decent uplift from last season's 900+ average, somewhere towards 2,500 but it seems as if the club is content to continue with the current fan base, adding some travelling fans, and perhaps hoping someone hears the club exists and happens to take a stroll down Vallis Way on a match day at kick off time.

And, yes, it is taking the shine off the upcoming season. For me at least.

Edited by nadera78

1 hour ago, cookey said:

Yes,I hope London stay up,they offer far more than 2/3 other Clubs.

Who's the 8 clubs they offer more than?

1 minute ago, cookey said:

I see maths isn't your strong point Damien.

Is two thirds of twelve not eight?

1 minute ago, cookey said:

Ah,I see,I was meaning two or three as opposed to two thirds.

I see maths isn't your strong point Cookey 😁

Too true,unfortunately I dont have a strong point.

I was however at Craven Cottage for the inseption of Fulham and have,indirectly,played a part in their progress.