Sign in to follow this  
langpark

Scotland RL hiring

7 hours ago, langpark said:

http://www.scotlandrl.com/2019/01/11/vacancy-development-officer/?fbclid=IwAR1rohUN0Yu5GdNAFx1hTWOC3FUvalUPQGxNWYqcH_VZ3_1i1FI3V6wc_Zc

Great to see.  Let's hope this can be the catalyst for some real growth there and get them back on track where they need to be (and fulfill the RLIF full member criteria finally!)

Interesting to note that they’re focusing on Edinburgh and Glasgow schools in particular. I wonder if this is because those councils are funding it or if it’s a wider strategic move. Those areas seem to be getting integrated into the North East leagues, so not sure where that leaves Strathmore and the Aberdeen clubs who had been looking to revive

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

Interesting to note that they’re focusing on Edinburgh and Glasgow schools in particular. I wonder if this is because those councils are funding it or if it’s a wider strategic move. Those areas seem to be getting integrated into the North East leagues, so not sure where that leaves Strathmore and the Aberdeen clubs who had been looking to revive

They had success in Glasgow previously; hope it can be reinvigorated.

2 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

With Easterhouse? Yeah and they’ve been doing some development work there over the past couple of years again too as there is now a Glasgow team but not sure what games they’ve played........perhaps just the odd friendly up there.

Youth seems to be the focus, which is a better way to go anyway

Edited by DoubleD

3 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

They certainly did. As with all these things the funding is vital because if the funding dries up the work before that is lost and is as good as useless.

4 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

With Easterhouse? Yeah and they’ve been doing some development work there over the past couple of years again too as there is now a Glasgow team but not sure what games they’ve played........perhaps just the odd friendly up there.

Yep - David Scott was produced there. Remember him another a jock kid going to Hull KR I think.

21 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

Yep - David Scott was produced there. Remember him another a jock kid going to Hull KR I think.

Louis Senter wasn’t it? If I remember correctly

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Let's face it though that wage isn't going to attract many decent candidates.

It might attract someone young, hungry and ambitious to make a difference 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, GeordieSaint said:

He was from Stirling though. If you’ve ever been to Easterhouse it is like the end of the earth and turn right. That was a council led initiative to try and help with the deprivation there. 

It would be nice if RL could broaden their reach there though beyond the lowest socio-economic sector 

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Agree. It seems reasonable for what the role requires as cost of living won't be at London levels and if someone is young and hungry to prove themselves this is a good role. 

Bit of a left field comment here but Gridiron is actually fairly strong at amateur level in Scotland, I do wonder if this makes it harder for RL to grow, ala continental Europe... 

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Agreed. It probably won't snare them an experienced professional, but it could be just the job for a true believer with bags of enthusiasm and energy.

Glasgow RL founded in 2018 have become Featherstone Rovers Foundation’s newest ambassador club.

n addition to the team training sessions and CPD sessions delivered by Foundation staff, Glasgow RL will also be invited down to the LD Nutrition Stadium and will look to play matches against local community clubs.

Scotland Rugby League Development Officer Carrie-Ann Downs added: “We are very excited to have the support of the Featherstone Rovers Foundation in Scotland.

“The partnership between the Foundation and Glasgow RL is a great development for the club and will provide the players and coaching staff with great opportunities to enhance their knowledge and skills in the sport.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Dave T said:

This isn't a new role, this is to replace the lady who has just left I believe.

Yes, you are right, I had forgotten about that...

16 hours ago, Damien said:

I saw that earlier in the week. I wonder where the funding has come from?

I too wonder.  I believe as full RLIF members (which they are very 'lucky' to still be), they receive $AUD25,000 per year, that's approx £14,000 right now.  I don't know where the rest comes from.

I agonise at the the thought of how far this wage £24-28,000 could go in some Eastern European countries.  You could probably hire 5 DOs per year with that amount of money.

23 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

There are links to an Easterhouse Panthers RL website but the link looks broken.  Also a Facebook page, which has an Easterhouse Panthers logo and a header that says "Glasgow RL" seems to be all about various local  first and junior "XV" clubs.

This does not look promising at first look.

23 hours ago, GeordieSaint said:

Another Scottish lad from Easterhouse went to Hull FC too but his name escapes me.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Another Scottish lad from Easterhouse went to Hull FC too but his name escapes me.

Chad Mc and Louis Senter were the players that went South.]

Good talents, both of them

• Thanks 1

On 1/13/2019 at 5:42 PM, Dave T said:

This isn't a new role, this is to replace the lady who has just left I believe.

You throwing your hat in? Give something back to the community. Then RFL CEO in ten years.

8 minutes ago, Just Browny said:

You throwing your hat in? Give something back to the community. Then RFL CEO in ten years.

Not for that money I'm afraid!

I did try to talk my wife into applying. She currently works in Community Education for a charity and has links to schools etc. I think after discussing it she realised what a lonely and probably rather depressing job it would be versus her current project.

In all seriousness, while I wouldn't do this role, I hope to be able to free some time up over the next year or so to see what volunteering opportunities there are up here in the game.

• Like 2