Sign in to follow this  
Leeds Wire

Who needs enemies?

"After the big-name signing of Gareth Widdop to Warrington Wolves ahead of the 2020 season, we take a look at five players who have flopped in the Super League era despite carrying a prominent reputation"

Who did this and why? 

We have thread after thread about people in the media who either talk the game down or ignore it and we are all frustrated by it. So why would TRL write an article about "flops" as a response to Widdop signing for a Superleague club? I don't get it at all. 

This is the equivalent of punching yourself in the face.

Who wrote this?

http://www.totalrl.com/5-big-name-flops-in-the-super-league-era/

• Like 13

I can’t see anything wrong with it, why does the truth hurt you so much? It’s not the job of TRL to spin for RL. Also it’s not like they haven’t hailed the many successes through the years, get a grip.

• Like 4

Ah, the buffoons behind RLW, again? They’re a parody, no? 

The standard of RL journalists in this country is wretched. There’s very few with any semblance of sense worth listening to or reading the thoughts of. It really is money for old rope.

I hope that with the game aiming itself at millennials, that we see the fanbase of the game change and some of those fans want to get into the media and it’s various disciplines because we’re crying out for fresh, innovative, insightful blood. 

• Like 1

It's now what I expect from totalrl,see my post on the proposed Widnes takeover.These people dont have the intelligence to be constructive,so they go for the easy option of negativity.Thanks for promoting the game.

Its just a bloody article on a rugby league website that a handful of people will read, its not exactly gonna cause a massive political crisis.  And Frank Pritchard was garbage for us. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Cumbrian Fanatic said:

Neither do I

Me either.

No one comments on positive stories, and this thread is full of people moaning about something, as per usual.

Go figure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cookey said:

These people dont have the intelligence to be constructive.

I was going to post something equally stupid and offensive, such as "how would you know" but thought better of it.

35 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Me either.

No one comments on positive stories, and this thread is full of people moaning about something, as per usual.

Go figure.

I can sort of see where the OP is coming from. Warrington have announced a massive signing of a British star in the NRL and what appears? an article basically saying he could be a flop.

Not that the article bothers me but RL folk tend to look at the negatives before the positives

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

I can’t see anything wrong with it, why does the truth hurt you so much? It’s not the job of TRL to spin for RL. Also it’s not like they haven’t hailed the many successes through the years, get a grip.

Where are TRL when the difficult questions need asking?

39 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Me either.

Go figure.

Here’s a wild thought, rather than publicly naming and shaming people (don’t we as a sport always seem to talk about mental health?), why not create a positive article about how a kid from Halifax has played nearly 200 games in the NRL for one of the best sides in the comp in the past ten years and now St George and is coming here to play in Super League in his prime, when he’s still wanted in the NRL? 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Here’s a wild thought, rather than publicly naming and shaming people (don’t we as a sport always seem to talk about mental health?), why not create a positive article about how a kid from Halifax has played nearly 200 games in the NRL for one of the best sides in the comp in the past ten years and now St George and is coming here to play in Super League in his prime, when he’s still wanted in the NRL? 

Why should they, grow up and join the real world.

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

What, one like this one? http://www.totalrl.com/warrington-confirm-widdop-coup/

Written the day before the article that is the subject of this thread

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

Why should they, grow up and join the real world.

Because a positive article is good for the game. It’s also nice to read. It puts the game in a more positive light. 

It’s also better than abusing people online with baseless arguments and nothing to back up these opinions, especially given the focus on mental health in men that the game takes. 

We have a real star on our hands here. A bloke who’s playing week in, week out for St George and who has been part of a side that contained three of the best players of this generation. He’s also an International player, an English one at that, and someone who’s chosen to play in England. He hasn’t been dispatched of by his club and has little options in Australia, he’s asked for a release of his contract to come here. I suspect he’d still be in the NRL at St George or elsewhere in 2020 if he didn’t fancy a change of scenery. It’s a real coup for the game here and for Warrington as a club.

What does the journalist focus on? We had one article releasing the news. Fine. That’s the minimum. But this bloke is a real star, the sort Robert Elstone has been talking about, the sort Elstone wants to really build the game around and rather than prying more into Widdop the player, his stats at Storm and Dragons, Widdop the man, Widdop’s journey from Halifax to Melbourne to Illawarra. 

Instead, we get an article lambasting players. Fine, that’s sport, it does happen on the terraces, whether right or wrong. However, the journalist has offered no explanation of why these players were so bad. They’ve not provided any stats to say that “Player X contributed 2 assists in 2017” or anything like that, just that these players weren’t very good. It’s poor writing at its worst.

For a sport that does quite a bit with mental health in men and has a bloke high up in the sport who has suffered from his own demons and opened a sporting clinic, it seems insensitive that we have such an article floating around when we could and should be celebrating a highly decorated Englishman coming to Super League. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

For those wanting a more positive perspective, head over here.........this was published after the signing of Widdop.

https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/six-of-the-biggest-overseas-signings-of-the-super-league-era/

Glass is more half full

So why an article about losers?  It was bad enough focussing on the losers in the 8s.  And why link these flops to Widdop who is still an England born and qualified bone fide international?  And someone we would expect to star in SL.

Widdop won’t be a flop so I’m not sure I see the point dredging old news up anyway 

• Like 1

I don't have a particularly big issue with the article, but it seems a slightly odd one. 

Even if it had been a Top 10 big money signings and whether they were a hit or a miss, maybe add some balance, rather than read like a bit of a sniping miserable feature.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I don't have a particularly big issue with the article, but it seems a slightly odd one. 

Even if it had been a Top 10 big money signings and whether they were a hit or a miss, maybe add some balance, rather than read like a bit of a sniping miserable feature.

I agree, thing is if that article had been from the BBC website or similar, people would be calling it out, which is why I do think it's a strange article to be on an actual RL website, like you say why not counter balance it with successful signings?

Not that I think it's the most pressing issue within our game.

Out of 29 articles on the home page of TRL.com, this is the only one that could remotely be described as "negative"  ( which I don't think it is.)

I long for the day when the BBC even run 29  articles about RL, even if they were all negative. 

I get that some of you don't like League Express even though you are happy to use their free of charge forum to express those views.

I get that some of you don't actually like our game, too.

What I don't get is why once having had a say, quire legitimately, some posters see the need to return to the fray repeatedly.

wow, the massive over reaction here by some is far, far worse to the game than an article talking about some of the players that didn't do so well/did badly/below expectations.

It does go to show you that some are so afraid of criticism or anything they perceive as negative that they'll immediately jump on anyone that decides to open discussion or writes an article about such. People from the outside see this fear as weakness, and they are not wrong. An individual or sport or business that cannot open up to failures and discuss it are more likely to fail/continue to fail, are weak with no confidence in the product or unwilling to identify problems.

This reveals so much about the people seeing this as a big deal, it'd be laughable if it wasn't so desperately sad!

But crack on telling us how this damages the sport, how it's "punching yourself in the face", what complete and utter hogwash! 

• Like 1